Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tom Ewell

DebraDancer

How did this guy ever make it into a movie? Would I be wrong if I said that the whole 60s cultural revolution was in direct response to the inclusion of Tom Ewell in the movies? Cary Grant he is not.

There's a whole group of guys like that after the war - - Broderick Crawford and Paul Douglas were really popular.

They were kind of an every man; but I don't think they would have been stars before the war either. After the war people had a more realistic Viewpoint of life.

Broderick Crawford, Paul Douglas and Tom Ewell--they all made it big on Broadway and that's how they got to Hollywood.

Tom Ewell was the original actor on Broadway in The Seven Year Itch.

Another actor in The Girl Can't Help It tonight was Edmond O'Brien. He won the Oscar for the Barefoot Contessa.

Indeed, these guys all do look like an insurance or real estate agent. But they were very popular in the post-war period.

FYI-- all three of the guys that I mentioned before - - not Paul Douglas because he died early on-- were given TV shows in the late fifties and early 60s. Broderick Crawford became a TV star.

I don't have to tell you that the double standard was maintained for the actresses.

• Like 4

Tom Ewell got to work with Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield in consecutive years.  I don't know if any other actor did that? 

I remember reading when Ewell died in 1994 (he was 85) his mother was still alive; she died in 1998 at age 109.

• Like 2

I like Tom.

When I was much younger He caught my attention and liking of him with the short lived TVshow, THE TOM EWELL SHOW.

TV(in MY area, anyway) also showed some Ewell short bits of him playing the role of some outrageous Southern Senator fom South Carolina I think.

He was also good in those "Willie And Joe" flicks with HARVEY LEMBECK in the early '50's( I think there were only a coupe of them).

He was a pretty good actor, and don't forget---

If GARY COOPER, HUMPHREY BOGART, MELVYN DOUGLAS, GLENN FORD and many others taught us ANYTHING, it's that you DON'T have to be handsome to star in any movie.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I like Tom.

When I was much younger He caught my attention and liking of him with the short lived TVshow, THE TOM EWELL SHOW.

TV(in MY area, anyway) also showed some Ewell short bits of him playing the role of some outrageous Southern Senator fom South Carolina I think.

He was also good in those "Willie And Joe" flicks with HARVEY LEMBECK in the early '50's( I think there were only a coupe of them).

He was a pretty good actor, and don't forget---

If GARY COOPER, HUMPHREY BOGART, MELVYN DOUGLAS, GLENN FORD and many others taught us ANYTHING, it's that you DON'T have to be handsome to star in any movie.

Sepiatone

Wait, Sepia! You had me shaking my head in agreement with all you said here about Tom until you included Gary Cooper in that list of movie stars who weren't handsome.

Sorry, but Coop WAS one good lookin' dude when he was a young buck, especially.

And one other note about Tom Ewell. For some reason, for years whenever I'd see or think of him, I would also think of David Wayne.

(...perhaps because they were both average looking, of average height, and often played put-upon and somewhat nebbish characters...although Ewell's would usually be in more lighthearted fare) 

For some reason, for years whenever I'd see or think of him, I would also think of David Wayne.

(...perhaps because they were both average looking, of average height, and often played put-upon and somewhat nebbish characters...although Ewell's would usually be in more lighthearted fare) 

TE and DW with Spencer Tracy on the set of Adam's Rib. The pair would later work together as Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe in Up Front.

O4kQKXM.jpg

• Like 2

Tom Ewell had a great success with "The Seven Year Itch" on Broadway and in the movies - and that double success put him in "the big leagues" for quite awhile.

However, I cannot buy the happy ending for Ewell and Mansfield in "The Girl Can't Help It!"

They are such an unlikely pair of "lovers".

• Like 1

Tom Ewell debuted on Broadway in 1934--was in the stage productions of "Stage Door" and "John Loves Mary" (which ran over a year in the 1940's), and originated the stage role in "The Seven Year Itch", for which he won a Tony and repeated his stage role on film.  The man was a talented actor who never really made it big in movies, but did well on Broadway and television.

• Like 2

Tom Ewell had a great success with "The Seven Year Itch" on Broadway and in the movies - and that double success put him in "the big leagues" for quite awhile.

However, I cannot buy the happy ending for Ewell and Mansfield in "The Girl Can't Help It!"

They are such an unlikely pair of "lovers".

The entire film is *******, except for the title song, which is great.

• Like 2

Tom Ewell debuted on Broadway in 1934--was in the stage productions of "Stage Door" and "John Loves Mary" (which ran over a year in the 1940's), and originated the stage role in "The Seven Year Itch", for which he won a Tony and repeated his stage role on film.  The man was a talented actor who never really made it big in movies, but did well on Broadway and television.

Just saw him the other night on an old rerun of TAXI on MeTV playing a shrink that Elaine Nardo goes to see.

(...loved that show)

• Like 1

Can SOMEONE give me evidence that he did well on television?

Well, he DID have a regular role for a few years on that '70s TV detective series that starred that cockatoo?!

(...and that little twerp who killed his wife and got away with it)

***edit to follow***

I see FL beat me to the answer here.

;)

Edited by Dargo
  • Like 1

I'm having a lazy lifetime.

Yeah, I've also noticed when I watch somethin' like "My Love Is Here" or any other of those cheaply done made-for-TV movies on that cable channel, it occasionally pixelates on me TOO!!!

(...just figured some lazy tech worker was responsible for that)

• Like 1

I simply adore Tom Ewell and think it is the most fun to see him starring opposite Henry Jones, since the two actors are often mistaken for one another!

I think Tom Ewell worked well (i.e. fit the character he was playing) in the movies he was in.      Yea, he wasn't Cary Grant but the parts he played didn't call for a Cary Grant type.    Take the Grant film Monkey Business;   to me an actor like Ewell would have been better for that part instead of casting Grant, having him where geeky glasses and acting like a nerd.   

• Like 2

I think Tom Ewell worked well (i.e. fit the character he was playing) in the movies he was in.      Yea, he wasn't Cary Grant but the parts he played didn't call for a Cary Grant type.    Take the Grant film Monkey Business;   to me an actor like Ewell would have been better for that part instead of casting Grant, having him where geeky glasses and acting like a nerd.   

I think Tom Ewell is an example of one of those men, who women like, but that men usually can't figure out why.

Not saying at all, that I mean you, James but your post made me think of this.

That's why the idea of Jayne Mansfield or Marilyn going for him, makes sense to a lot of women in the audience I think. He's sweet and has a kindly nature which comes through on film though he is no Casanova, Adonis, Lothario or even Romeo.

Ewell could play the part you mention but I do think they often cast Grant against type, being that he was so handsome it was fun to make him be a bit nerdy hence more likable, and he really could pull off the gymnastic stuff due to his background with such stunts.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings