Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, he DID have a regular role for a few years on that '70s TV detective series that starred that cockatoo?!

(...and that little twerp who killed his wife and got away with it)

***edit to follow***

I see FL beat me to the answer here.

;)

Just read a book about the ex of Mickey Gubitosi, aka Robert Blake, namely Bonnie Lee Bakely [sp?] and it was quite interesting, Dargo.

She was quite the opportunist and thought she could entice Marlon Brando into her male harem, but ended up only getting his poor son, Christian in her lair. She would write to men in some of those lovelorn pen pal clubs and tell them she'd like to visit but needed some bucks to make it happen, like a couple thousand or so.

Hmmm, wonder if that type of scam...I mean, nice idea would work here on any of the gents?

Excuse my thinking to myself, while I type.

I simply adore Tom Ewell and think it is the most fun to see him starring opposite Henry Jones, since the two actors are often mistaken for one another!

I liked Jones too.

He and Ewell should/could have played brothers.

Sepiatone

I liked Jones too.

He and Ewell should/could have played brothers.

Sepiatone

Sepia--

I don't know if you've seen Hitchcock's Vertigo, Henry Jones has a plum of a role as the coroner in the inquest. He absolutely commands this one scene in the Hitchcock masterpiece. He seemed to be quite a tight, compact minimalist actor. He also did a lot of TV work. I know I've seen him on The Untouchables.

• Like 1

I think Tom Ewell is an example of one of those men, who women like, but that men usually can't figure out why.

Not saying at all, that I mean you, James but your post made me think of this.

That's why the idea of Jayne Mansfield or Marilyn going for him, makes sense to a lot of women in the audience I think. He's sweet and has a kindly nature which comes through on film though he is no Casanova, Adonis, Lothario or even Romeo.

Ewell could play the part you mention but I do think they often cast Grant against type, being that he was so handsome it was fun to make him be a bit nerdy hence more likable, and he really could pull off the gymnastic stuff due to his background with such stunts.

Based on my years at this forum I find that it is women that go for the guy with the looks over a man that is sweet and has a kindly nature.    e.g.  I had read many comments like 'there is no way that gal would have taken actor X over actor Y'.   (X being an actor like Grant and Y being someone like Ewell).

I see men doing this as it relates to the ladies but generally in my experience men want guys like Ewell to get the gal since few of us are in the same league as the Grants of this world.

PS:  In both cases I know we are only talking about characters in movies as it relates to favoring the superficial over substance.   I assume this isn't how most folks feel related to their personal lives.  

• Like 2

These average and below-average guys, that got the (knockout) girl, is not just a postwar phenomena. Before the war, this was also going on. Someone mentioned Bogart, others include Edward G. Robinson, and Wallace Beery, etc. Nothing new, and it must've played out as as a male fantasy ("Yeah, I too can end up with a babe like Jean Harlow or Jayne Mansfield, even though I'm no Cary Grant lookswise"). Look at Marilyn Monroe's costars/love interests, in the early days of her stardom: David Wayne (more than once), Tommy Noonan, Donald O'Connor, and Tom Ewell.

Ewell's movie career had two phases early on. With his supporting role in ADAM'S RIB, he got decent supporting roles such as the buddy/sidekick to Tyrone Power in AMERICAN GUERRILLA IN THE PHILIPPINES. He headed back to Broadway in due course, and the acclaim from SEVEN YEAR ITCH. Fox bought the property to woo back a recalcitrant Monroe, who had fled to New York, and also offered Ewell the opportunity to recreate his role on film. He next costarred with the studio's first candidate to replace Monroe, Sheree North, in the frantic comedy, THE LIEUTENANT WORE SKIRTS. Then another blonde sex symbol, Mansfield, in THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT. .Soon enough, however, he was back to supporting roles, and he moved on. The studio tried another nerdy guy, Tony Randall, in this type of role.

This archetype has outlived the 50s,, and is still around today.

• Like 4

Sepia--

I don't know if you've seen Hitchcock's Vertigo, Henry Jones has a plum of a role as the coroner in the inquest. He absolutely commands this one scene in the Hitchcock masterpiece. He seemed to be quite a tight, compact minimalist actor. He also did a lot of TV work. I know I've seen him on The Untouchables.

Jones,like many character actors, did have a wide range.  I've seen him once play a relative back in "West Virginny" on THE REAL McCOYS, and he played CLORIS LEACHMAN'S brother on her short lived MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW spin-off PHYLLIS.  And who can forget his misfortune at the hands of PATTY McCORMACK  in THE BAD SEED?

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Jones,like many character actors, did have a wide range.  I've seen him once play a relative back in "West Virginny" on THE REAL McCOYS, and he played CLORIS LEACHMAN'S brother on her short lived MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW spin-off PHYLLIS.  And who can forget his misfortune at the hands of PATTY McCORMACK  in THE BAD SEED?

Sepiatone

OMG, those scenes with Patty McCormack where Jones is telling her that they have bloodhounds that can pick up the scent off a stick, and then accuses her of hitting her classmate with one, to get the penmanship medal are really chilling.

Jones plays it jokingly until he realizes that she really may have killed the little boy by hitting him with her shoes with the taps, and then it becomes so creepy. Too bad he got burnt in the basement while lying on the excelsior from her tea set as I would have enjoyed seeing more of him in the movie!

• Like 2

Thanks for your input everyone! It's interesting to get your thoughts!

It's not just the looks thing for me when it comes to Mr. Ewell. As Arturo points out, other guys like Bogart and Robinson weren't handsome but they had something that draws me in everytime. Danger? (A bad boy is like a magnet for me.)

I'm sure Mr. Ewell was swell on Broadway but I just don't get how post-WWII disillusionment gave us Ewell as a leading man for the likes of Marilyn and Jayne. I could totally see Edmond O'Brien as the lead rather than in the gangster role. Or even David Wayne in the lead role. I get the appeal of having a less-than-sexy dude in these kinds of roles but, for me, I need it to be someone else. . . like Jim Backus? Yeah, I could have been happy with Jim Backus opposite Ms. Mansfield.

Thanks for your input everyone! It's interesting to get your thoughts!

It's not just the looks thing for me when it comes to Mr. Ewell. As Arturo points out, other guys like Bogart and Robinson weren't handsome but they had something that draws me in everytime. Danger? (A bad boy is like a magnet for me.)

I'm sure Mr. Ewell was swell on Broadway but I just don't get how post-WWII disillusionment gave us Ewell as a leading man for the likes of Marilyn and Jayne. I could totally see Edmond O'Brien as the lead rather than in the gangster role. Or even David Wayne in the lead role. I get the appeal of having a less-than-sexy dude in these kinds of roles but, for me, I need it to be someone else. . . like Jim Backus? Yeah, I could have been happy with Jim Backus opposite Ms. Mansfield.

Debra, I think that Post WWII disillusionment theory is just that, a theory.

My guess is that Ewell personified in the early 1950's, the everyday man, and that is why both his Broadway triumph in the role in TSYI fit him like a glove and he was chosen for the movie role also.

He was not dangerous like Bogie or particularly deep like Robinson, but he did give a good pastiche of the typical guy home from the war, who was worried about keeping his job, using the barbecue pit in the back yard, and living as well as he could. He also happened to be quite likable, and not a creep which is why it is believable that someone like Marilyn might like him.

But I agree, Jim Backus could have played the role too, as he was a wonderfully likable man also on screen and in real life. I can imagine David Wayne in the role also. All three were good actors and very down to earth.

• Like 3

Is there such a thing as a "brunette bombshell"?

Ya sure don't hear that phrase much, to be sure DGF.

But IF there is such a thing, the first name that comes to mind would be Jane Russell, I'd think.

Ya sure don't hear that phrase much, to be sure DGF.

But IF there is such a thing, the first name that comes to mind would be Jane Russell, I'd think.

"Redheaded bombshell" doesn't have any alliteration. How about "redheaded rocket"?