Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Passel of early John Wayne tomorrow.

slaytonf

Quick, formulaic, diverting Western movie fare for early 1930s audiences.  He made dozens of 'em.  The plots vary, but they can generally be boiled down to a cowboy, or somebody, rides into a town, or somewhere, and meets a man with a farm, or ranch, or mine, or something, and he has a niece, or daughter, or somebody, who's just come back out west from school, or something in the east, and Wayne and the girl meet, and they like each other, and things are looking good, only there is a local land agent, or banker, or somebody, who's the bad guy, who's after the farm, or ranch, or mine, or something, and also the niece, or daughter, or somebody, and he gets Wayne charged with a robbery, or murder, or something--which the bad guy really did, and it starts looking bad for everybody (except for the bad guy), but not to worry, it's not giving anything away to say that everything works out just as you expect it to, with the bad guy exposed, his plans confounded, and getting what he deserves, Wayne exonerated, and getting the girl, and eventual title to the farm, or ranch or mine, or something, on the death of the girl's uncle, or father, or something.

All in 57 minutes, or less.

Watch for Yakima Canut.

• Like 6

The first time I ever saw HAUNTED GOLD (1932) was on TCM a couple years ago.  I liked it enough to buy it on video.  Not a very expensive title; think it cost me $1.49 new on Amazon + shipping.  On a 1994-release MGM VHS tape with the original price sticker of $19.95 still attached to the shrinkwrap.  

There is a 1937 John Wayne "B"-movie called 'CALIFORNIA STRAIGHT AHEAD' I'd like to see.  Maybe TCM can air it some time. 

Quick, formulaic, diverting, Western movie fare for early 1930s audiences.  He made dozens of 'em.  The plots vary, but they can generally be boiled down to a cowboy, or somebody, rides into a town, or somewhere, and meets a man with a farm, or ranch, or mine, or something, and he has a niece, or daughter, or somebody, who's just come back out west from school, or something in the east, and Wayne and the girl meet, and they like each other, and things are looking good, only there is a local land agent, or banker, or somebody, who's the bad guy, who's after the farm, or ranch, or mine, or something, and also the niece, or daughter, or somebody, and he gets Wayne charged with a robbery, or murder, or something--which the bad guy really did, and it starts looking bad for everybody (except for the bad guy), but not to worry, it's not giving anything away to say that everything works out just as you expect it to, with the bad guy exposed, his plans confounded, and getting what he deserves, Wayne exonerated, and getting the girl, and eventual title to the farm, or ranch or mine, or something, on the death of the girl's uncle, or father, or something.

All in 57 minutes, or less.

Watch for Yakima Canut.

that's Canutt with two Ts. :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings