Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Location - then and now

limey

Anyone who caught today's airing of I Thank a Fool may recognize this interesting looking building that posed as Liane's childhood home:

post-55009-0-84548800-1464237280_thumb.jpg

Here's a more recent pic:

258532_d48acefe.jpg

Turns out, the building was a signal tower from the early 1800's, located at Mizen Head in Co. Cork. I'm unsure about the angles, but the little rectangular structure to it's left may have been part of the remains of Marconi's wireless telegraph station.

marconi-wireless-telegraph-station-bw-2.

Links for anyone interested:

http://sheepsheadplaces.net/signal-station-marconi-wireless-station-brow-head

http://www.maritimeradio.pro/ireland/ejm.htm

https://roaringwaterjournal.com/tag/irish-signal-towers/

post-55009-0-84548800-1464237280_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

One of my favorites is the Martini house from IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. Any quick internet search will yield then/now photos-

though-most-of-its-a-wonderful-life-was-

This photo was taken from "7 Holiday Movie Homes You Can Visit": http://www.businessinsider.com/christmas-movie-homes-2012-12?op=1

LA county seems to have a lot of these cookie cutter developments, like the one used in EDWARD SCISSORHANDS.

Also, a location scout friend has a then & now comparison of locales on his site: http://www.scoutingny.com/

He's shown locations for Rosemary's Baby, The Apartment, The Naked City and TV sitcoms-

rosemarys_dakota.jpg

• Like 4

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was filmed in my hometown in 1975.  The mental hospital seemingly sat empty and decrepit for years afterward.  It was always very creepy to drive past this hospital which over the years, fell into more and more disrepair.  I don't think it was entirely abandoned, I believe somewhere in the building, it was still functioning as a hospital, but I don't believe I ever saw a single person or light or anything that would indicate that the building was in use.  

Here's how the hospital appeared in the film, I couldn't find a picture of the front, only of the back:

oneflewoverthecuckoosnest01A.jpg

For my entire childhood in Salem, this is how I remembered the building:

5641c7ef46f29487862b14cd8bc06df8.jpg

A few years ago, the city decided to remodel the building and turned it into a museum depicting the history of mental health in the United States.  It now looks like this:

f183a245b165791083c7714bae6cac05.jpg?ito

If you're ever in Salem and want to visit this place, it's a few minutes east of the downtown area, on a major thoroughfare, Center St. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/us/cuckoos-nest-hospital-is-now-a-museum.html

• Like 6

Just to add to Speedy's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest post - here's an aerial shot - using the smokestack to orientate, I think that the basketball scene with McMurphy & Chief was shot was in the grassed rectangle, above & right of the smokestack. You can see that same smokestack behind Speedy's 2nd pic, which would make it roughly the opposite side of that same block.

asylum-aerial-1800.jpg

• Like 4

Here's one I wonder how many of you already knew.

This ain't no real border town in Orson's famous opening sequence here...

Touch+Of+Evil.jpg

Nope, it's actually Venice California, and where now is painted a mural commemorating that film's location shooting...

14855953192_f673ee7d3a_z.jpg

• Like 2

Yep, just the picket fence and the subsequent growth of those pine trees seem the only difference here, Char.

(...oh yeah, and those damn birds...good find) ;)

I think the road has been raised a little, as the embankment between it and the schoolhouse is deeper in the film - but otherwise, yes, same location. Having said that, a little bit of movie magic appears to take place when the kids are running away from it in the movie - camera switches direction from the school building to the direction they're all running towards, showing a view of the bay.

post-55009-0-30152700-1464389653_thumb.jpg

Google streetview from roughly the same place.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/17110+Bodega+Ln,+Bodega,+CA+94922/@38.3463046,-122.9716377,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUubor2raRxcMAj6ZnVH4tg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x80842f438000b0a1:0x4d3db106fa06177a!8m2!3d38.345936!4d-122.971931!6m1!1e1

The school building is located quite a way inland, so appears to have been moved closer to the bay in the editing. I've not yet figured out where the shot from the movie was actually filmed.

post-55009-0-30152700-1464389653_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, well...ya know which one of those kids I ESPECIALLY always felt sorry for, limey?!

It's Veronica Cartwright!

(...'cause the poor kid would grow up to be terrorized by a freakin' alien TOO!!!)

• Like 1

Yeah, well...ya know which one of those kids I ESPECIALLY always felt sorry for, limey?!

(...'cause the poor kid would grow up to be terrorized by a freakin' alien TOO!!!)

I might add...

And whereas little Miss Morgan Brittany there would grow up to live a pampered life in Dallas Texas!

(...and spin her little webs of deceit against many of the denizens there on a nighttime soap)

;)

Not quite a location then & now, but...

birds-blog-jpg_170237.jpg

Visit the blog that pic was lifted from & you'll also see Morgan Brittany put in an appearance.

• Like 2

Btw, I'd NOW post a few then-and-now stills from the movie I'm presently watching on TCM during Robert Ryan's SOTM tribute, THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE, and the somewhat arid and warm Spanish mountain range in which this film was shot, and THEN post a modern day picture of a very cold and snowy and densely treed Ardennes forest in Belgium and where this decisive WWII battle had actually taken place.

But I figured, what's the use?! There'd be little accuracy there and thus anything to rightfully compare to the other! ;)

Btw, I just discovered the following on this film's Wikipage. Talk about "beware of learning your history from the movies":

Former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower came out of retirement and held a press conference to denounce the film for what he considered its gross historical inaccuracy.

• Like 1

It appears that the shot towards the bay was done on Taylor St. in Bodega Bay - there's not a huge amount left to go on, but the shape of the hills across the water & the positioning of the cross streets matches this google streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3341129,-123.0468991,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTDdRe3hW3_j16sx3hLiNtA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Location also appears to be confirmed here: http://www.bodegabay.com/index.php/visitor-info/articles-reviews-and-stories/41-the-birds-and-bodega-bay

• Like 1

GREAT idea to post the Google Map street view of the location in question here, limey. Might be cool if more people who'll contribute something to this thread do that.

However, this link to Bodega Bay's official "The Birds" webpage?

Well, I may be picky here, but whoever the hell did that take of the famous line profile of the great director(as I assume that that's what they were goin' for there) seems to have never watched the opening sequence of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" in their LIFE!!!

(...'cause I don't know about YOU, but to ME that looks a HECK of a lot more like a line profile of Happy Days' Al Molinaro who played diner owner Al Delvecchio than it EVER does Hitchcock!!!...it's probably the large nose!)

LOL

;)

• Like 1

Well, I may be picky here, but whoever the hell did that take of the famous line profile of the great director(as I assume that that's what they were goin' for there) seems to have never watched the opening sequence of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" in their LIFE!!!

(...'cause I don't know about YOU, but to ME that looks a HECK of a lot more like a line profile of Happy Days' Al Molinaro who played diner owner Al Delvecchio than it EVER does Hitchcock!!!...it's probably the large nose!)

LOL

;)

LOL - You've never heard of artistic license? :P

Of course, now you've pointed it out - that drawing is now & forever, Al from Happy Days!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings