Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DID ANYONE WATCH?

Tikisoo

I was looking through mr666's thread of PREMIERES and noted several movies that piqued my interest, but I hadn't bothered to stay up to watch or record.

I'd love to know if anyone actually DID watch any of them and what their impressions or opinions might be. 

I saw a few minutes of BLOODY MAMA and thought it looked pretty cheesy, even for Corman The Barbarian standards. But anyone see the Minelli/Minelli A MATTER OF TIME? 

Also a few night ago at 3AM was GEORGE WALLACE, the 1997 Frankenheimer film. I wondered why some of these movies were on so late, and guessed it might be due to offensive content.

Anyone?

The only one I've seen is "A Matter of Time". I'm not sure why it's shown so rarely, since it features late performances from both Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer. I think I remember that there was one of those problems with the distributor where the rights fall into question. Anyway, it's a very mixed bag. During her Private Screenings with Robert Osborne a few years ago, Liza briefly but candidly spoke about the problem her father's oncoming dementia created, making it difficult for him to clearly express his intentions to the actors and crew. It seems to have been conceived as a kind of fairy tale, with Ingrid Bergman's great-lady-fallen-into-obscurity acting as a fairy godmother to Liza's aspirational chambermaid. There's a kind of gauzy overall aura which I think was an attempt to make it seem timeless. There are some real moments of enchantment, but at other times it's cloying and forced. Personally, I like it, more for Ingrid's contribution than anyone else's, but all that's good about the movie doesn't necessarily outweigh what's strange about it. You can definitely sense the lack of Vincente Minnelli's formerly sure hand. 

• Like 2

TikiSoo--DougieB has the film down, but the print was cleaned off for Thurs. evenings/Fri. mornings show.  Instead of unclear colors, Geoffrey Unsworth's cinematography was CLEAR and Gorgeous--if AIP had released film in CLEAR condition in 1976, Unsworth would/should have nabbed a "Best Cinematography" nomination.  Read Pauline Kael's review from 1976 for how unhappy critics were with AIP.  Anyway, "A Matter of Time" was well worth watching; should Not have been buried at 5:30 a.m. E.S.T.!  JMO.

Edit--TikiSoo, check the "I Just Watched..." thread.  I posted a more complete opinion there.

• Like 1

I was looking through mr666's thread of PREMIERES and noted several movies that piqued my interest, but I hadn't bothered to stay up to watch or record.

I'd love to know if anyone actually DID watch any of them and what their impressions or opinions might be. 

I saw a few minutes of BLOODY MAMA and thought it looked pretty cheesy, even for Corman The Barbarian standards. But anyone see the Minelli/Minelli A MATTER OF TIME? 

Also a few night ago at 3AM was GEORGE WALLACE, the 1997 Frankenheimer film. I wondered why some of these movies were on so late, and guessed it might be due to offensive content.

Anyone?

I recorded Bloody Mama and quickly scanned through it later on today.  I was thinking a sequel to Tobacco Road maybe?  :lol:

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings