Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zeker427

Best SciFi Film of the 1950's ???

JAck: Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it. I agree with the inconsistencies you mention. But, therre is something about Spelberg: I did not like the colour palate he applied to the film, it was too grainy. Of course a couple of the things kind of shocked me, that airplane for one.

>"Gene Barry and Ann Robinson (great cameo choices) >answer the door as if nothing had happened. It >absolutely made no sense, and almost ruined the entire >precedings for me. It was far too pat and easy."

Are you kidding? I thought that was the best part of the film! Ahaha!

You know?what would have happened if Miranda's character had the kids for that weekend? A Poor pregnant woman (Miranda was really preggo in this film btw) hauling two kids through brooklin through red guck to Tim/Harlan's house: Well, Mirando Otto would have taken her sword and chopped his head off like she did to the head Nazgul. HAHAHA! Oops, wrong character and film!

Message was fooked up by:

weAponX

Message was completely fooked up by:

weAponX

Those are three super sci-fi classics of the 50's for sure! Do you or anyone else...remember the "Mole People" and the great "Invasion From Mars with the swirling sand that sucked up everyone? How about "Forbidden Planet"! That was one great movie and indeed a classic. I really enjoyed those old science fiction flicks, didn't you? They were such fun! Not to mention back then special effects were a real challenge. Even more of a challenge were those special effects done way back with the original King Kong movie. Considering what little they had to work with...they did wonders!

~Angel~

Hey everyone, guess what??!!

I just remembered another very well done science fiction movie Rocket Ship RXM. Hugh O Brian was in it as a very young man...he was also killed in it. In this movie we send a rocket to the moon. There our men discovered it is inhabited with blind muscular cavemen and their lovely queen that had a short cameo scene. It's a great movie. Why don't they show some of these rare movies anymore?

~Angel~

Having watched IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (Jacke Arnold/Ray Bradbury) which aired on TCM this past Friday, I was surprised at how well it's stood up. It had been years since I last saw it.

It still has strong impact today because Universal was smart enough to de-emphasize the B.E.M. angle and allow the Bradbury story to develop its thoughtful human and philosophical aspects.

Still, it was never dull. Mood, suspense and thoughtfulness are a rare combination in any movie.

A lot of the old black and whites have stood up, that's what makes them so great. I think besides 'Them' one of my favorites is the original 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers.' I think its mainly the music, gloomy and spooky as well as the sound effects.

Anne

I do remember the Mole People I have noticed that an encore station has shown some old sci fi flicks Like It came From Outer Space and The Day The Earth Stood Still

"The last man on Earth "', with Vincent Price was groundbreaking. It has been imitated many times. I also like Godzilla, hate to admit it but it is a Grade B masterpiece.

"Last Man on Earth" is based on Richard Matheson's novel "I am Legend," which supposedly was ripped off for "Night of the Living Dead." It was the credited source for "The Omega Man."

I once read an absolutely hillarious interview with Matheson, in which he talked about how he has been screwed over (and over and over) in efforts to get "I am Legend" filmed. He doesn't like "Last Man on Earth" and I think he liked "Omega Man" even less. There was talk of making "I am Legend" with Arnold Schwarzenegger with Ridley Scott directing, but of course, that never happened.

I must say that it seems like Matheson dislikes all films based on his stories.

drdoolittle:

Thanks for this reply! Yes, I also have noticed these old 50's sci-fi movies starting to pop up on the black box here at home. I am starting to recorded the ones that I consider to be some of my many favorites. I do this every time I notice them listed in the dependable TV guide book. "Day The Earth Stood Still' is one of the best ever made sci-fi movies. I have noticed many fans here on Turner Classic's web site seem to think so too. After that one...it seems so many other movies come to my mind, that making a second or third choice is too difficult to pin down to only one title. The original 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was one heck of a scary moive the first time I saw it years ago. It could be on my list as second perhaps?

~Angel~

Hi TCMaddict:

I did catch this movie entitled "It Came From Outer Space" when it was on TV in my area. I also made it my business to record it from start to finish. As you mentioned, it was one well made movie and seemed to have such an impact...that the story seems to stick with you for a while after seeing this Sci-Fi flick. This is indeed another movie that is well worth seeing everyone! Just in case there are people out there that has never seen it in the past. Thanks for your reply TCMaddict.

~Angel~

I think "The Thing" was the best SF film of the 1950's with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Day the Earth Stood Still" close seconds. A case can also be made for "Forbidden Planet."

Hey, that's my vote too, but I would put "Body Snatchers" first, The Thing second, and Day Earth third.

The Tingler from 59 scared the hell out of me when I was 7-8 years old. I havent seen since and am wishing and hoping TCM will play it someday. Vincent Price was in it. Another one I cant remember the name of but had brains flying around with eyes and tails like scorpions on them, I swore I could see them flying around in my bedroom at night, lol. Come on TCM we ned a fresh batch of early sci-fi.

I use to have Rocketship XM on vhs. It also had Lloyd Bridges and Noah Beery Jr. in it besides Hugh O'Brien. Great movie. But yes I agree The Day The Earth Stood Still will always be my favorite of the 50s.

> The Tingler from 59 scared the hell out of me when I

> was 7-8 years old. I havent seen since and am wishing

> and hoping TCM will play it someday. Vincent Price

> was in it. Another one I cant remember the name of

> but had brains flying around with eyes and tails like

> scorpions on them, I swore I could see them flying

> around in my bedroom at night, lol. Come on TCM we

> ned a fresh batch of early sci-fi.

> I use to have Rocketship XM on vhs. It also had

> Lloyd Bridges and Noah Beery Jr. in it besides Hugh

> O'Brien. Great movie. But yes I agree The Day The

> Earth Stood Still will always be my favorite of the

> 50s.

Hey,XP...........on any other day, the description of brains with eyes & tails flying around would,to quote Nic Cage "..seem odd."

However, you are referring to the one-of-a-kind Fiend Without A Face, with Marshall Thompson & a bunch of Canadians.

> The Tingler from 59 scared the hell out of me when I

> was 7-8 years old. I havent seen since and am wishing

> and hoping TCM will play it someday. Vincent Price

> was in it. Another one I cant remember the name of

> but had brains flying around with eyes and tails like

> scorpions on them, I swore I could see them flying

> around in my bedroom at night, lol. Come on TCM we

> ned a fresh batch of early sci-fi.

> I use to have Rocketship XM on vhs. It also had

> Lloyd Bridges and Noah Beery Jr. in it besides Hugh

> O'Brien. Great movie. But yes I agree The Day The

> Earth Stood Still will always be my favorite of the

> 50s.

Hey,XP...........on any other day, the description of brains with eyes & tails flying around would,to quote Nic Cage "..seem odd."

However, you are referring to the one-of-a-kind Fiend Without A Face, with Marshall Thompson & a bunch of Canadians.

Wow,I remember the "Tingler" yes,you got that right,,it also scared the life out of me too.I also would very much like to see it again,big time.I know there have been so many sci-fi movies made since the 50's but they "lost" something while making them.Even though the creatures,monsters,etc are so much more lifelike now the movie itself has lost that "special feeling" that I truely miss.I really wish TCM would show a couple of 50's sci-fi aweek.Not the same ones!!Though they always just take out a couple and play the same ones over and over again. Even the B-movies I enjoyed as a kid,like "Invasion of the Saucermen"The Black Scorpion"The Hideous Sun Demon"Trollenberg Terror,a/k/a the Crawling Eye""Crab Monsters,etc,all sci-fi/horror from the 50's..I mean even kids could watch them on a Saturday morning with there parents,grandparents and friends..I have tried to find a collection of all of these on video,but cant on dvd..I too love "The Day the Earth Stood Still"excellent movie,like also "Forbidden Planet" another excellent movie, but lately that has been shown so much I know it by heart.I am not one on just horror movies.But everyone should get to see what they prefer.Sci-fi movies fans seem to be on the bottom of the list.Nina in Venice

" I think "The Thing" was the best SF film of the 1950's with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Day the Earth Stood Still" close seconds. A case can also be made for "Forbidden Planet."

I think I'd agree with all of this. The problem with Forbidden Planet is that for such an imaginative film, it was directed very woodenly. That's a trap a lot of special effects movies fall into. In order to get all the neat visuals in the frame, the camera pulls back and you lose intimacy with the characters. Too much dilution of impact. I think The Thing is easily the best 50's SF film on any number of levels, and even if you leave SF out of it it's still a great movie.

My Rating 1- The Thing 2 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers 3 - The Day the Earth Stood Still. Forbidden Planet is not my cup of tea.

There are many good choices from the 50's, but the one that stuck in my mind the longest as a child was The Incredible Shrinking Man. There was something about being stranded in your own basement at the mercy of your cat, and a spider, yechhhh!

In no particular order...

The Thing From Another World

Creature From The Black Lagoon

Them!

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

Godzilla (1954)

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (U.S. version)

War of the Worlds

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Earth vs. The Flying Saucers

This Island Earth

Revenge of the Creature

The Creature Walks Among Us

The Mysterians

Rodan

Battle In Outer Space

The Fly

Return of the Fly (not sure if these last two are 50s or 60s)

20 Million Miles To Earth

It Came From Beneath The Sea

...and I'm sure there are others.

This would be my list (in order of preference):

1. INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

2. THEM (1954)

3. THE THING (1951)

4. IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953)

5. THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1957)

6. IT CONQUERED THE WORLD (1956)

7. THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT (1955)

8. DONOVAN'S BRAIN (1953)

9. THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955)

10. WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953)

I couldn't think of composing a list like this without "Forbidden Planet." And, of course, "The Day the Stood Still" would be high on my list.

Technically, I guess, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and films like "The Blob" are sci-fi fare, but to me they're more horror than sci-fi.

The real shame about sci-fi movies is that most of the classic, really great books haven't been made into movies. Take a look at the Sci-Fi Book Club's 50th anniversary collections and you'll see only a couple (in quite diluted form) have been made into films. It's wondrous reading -- particularly the '50s books by Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert and Clarke.

I'm not such a tremendous fan of Sci-Fi; but, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, is one of my favorite films, of any genre.

What a great decade for sci-fi. Here are my standouts from the 1950's:

1. The Day The Earth Stood Still(1951)

2. War Of The Worlds(1953)

3. Forbidden Planet(1956)

4. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953)

5. The Blob(1958)

6. Godzilla King Of The Monsters(1956)

7. Invasion of The Body Snatchers(1956)

8. The Incredible Shrinking Man(1957)

9. Rodan(1956)

10.Tarantula(1955)