Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best SciFi Film of the 1950's ???

This is my first post, and I would have to say that Howard Hawks and Christian Nyby get my vote with "The Thing From Another World." This movie has everything. Pretty good science, thoughtful, philosophical banter, a pretty good romantic twist and a final 30 minutes that keep you on the edge of your seat ("You'll pay 50 cents a seat but you'll only need the edge!") until the end. "The Thing" also has the best fire suit scene ever done in a movie, IMHO. You can't get any better.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

"The Thing" of course!! This was and still is the Best sci-fi film of the 50's!!

But I need help...does anyone know where they filmed the scene when they first find the spaceship in the ice? Or was it done in a studio or on location? I can't find the answer anywhere!

From Plantation, Fl.

• 7 months later...

Day the Earth Stood Still

Godzilla 1954

Incredible Shrinking Man

Creature from the Black Lagoon (is that horror or scifi)

Journey to the Center of the Earth

I would say the Time Machine, but that was 1960

A lot of the sci-fi films of the 1950s were B movies

Which decade was Forbidden Planet? I just saw that film for the first time, last week, on TCM, and I loved it! I'm not quite sure if it was made in the 50s, or not. Anyway, off the top of my head, these are the 50s sci-fi films that I feel are some of the best, based on what I've seen:

The War of the Worlds

The Day The Earth Stood Still

The Thing From Another World

Creature From the Black Lagoon

Revenge of the Creature

The Creature Walks Among Us

Them!

Godzilla King of the Monsters! (both versions, by the way)

Rodan

The Mysterians

Battle In Outer Space

This Island Earth

The Fly

Return of the Fly

The Giant Behemoth

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

Plan 9 From Outer Space (YEAH, RIGHT! ;) )

...and in the course of typing this post, I've discovered that Forbidden Planet was, indeed, made during the 1950s. It was 1956, to be exact. So throw that one in there two, along with George Pal's The Time Machine. Sure, it was made in 1960, but it's still one of the best in the genre, as well as a huge favorite of mine. I'm sure there are others that I can't recall at the moment, but these will do for now.

• 4 weeks later...