Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rise, Decline and Fall

CaveGirl

Almost every entity that has existed has a strong period, followed by a bit of loss of prestige and then finally destruction.

Many cause their own downfall, as in the Roman Empire which had reasons like a lack of understanding of their core values, which led to invasions by outside forces, with over-expansion and usage of cheap labor to make up for overspending at the top echelon. This type of internal corruption caused the migration of barbarians and a weakening of their initial supporters who felt betrayed.

A rather simplistic version of events but such things happen still whether it be in business, or in government or in the movies. Or even at a cable tv conglomerate or places like that depicted in the film "Network".

Even a performer can go through these stages witness the career of Early Elvis, Middle Elvis and Late Elvis.

Name a movie which personifies such a rise and decline.

• Like 1

You could even say the TITANIC movies symbolize the rise and fall of a society-- there's greatness (the world's largest ocean liner, implying bigger is better); and with it comes an arrogance and sense of invincibility..until the inevitable collision with the iceberg, followed by destruction and loss of life. 

• Like 5

You could even say the TITANIC movies symbolize the rise and fall of a society-- there's greatness (the world's largest ocean liner, implying bigger is better); and with it comes an arrogance and sense of invincibility..until the inevitable collision with the iceberg, followed by destruction and loss of life. 

Absolutely, great exegesis, TB!

Thanks for your contribution.

• Like 2

Cavegirl, how about the TV series, "Brideshead Revisited", which has always impressed me with its' sense of time and loss?

The recent movie version was a far cry from the greatness of the TV version.

It attempted to "heterosexualize" the material.

Although, that implicit sense of time and loss did remain.

• Like 1

"The Magnificent Ambersons" (1942)--The Rise and Fall of a Ford-like family.

Two movies that reverse the threads title:

"Susan Lennox: Her Fall and Rise" (1931)--Greta Garbo and Clark Gable.  Has this Ever been on TCM?

"Blonde Venus" (1932)--Pre-Code, with Marlene Dietrich Rising, Falling, and Rising Again.  Notable for the number "Hot Voodoo" and an early appearance by Cary Grant.

• Like 2

No-brainer----

CITIZEN KANE

Sure, Kane didn't decline financially, or in social status, but otherwise........

I WAS A FUITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG has an element of this.  Man on hard times convicted of a murder he didn't commit.  Sentenced to a chain gang and manages to escape.  While a "fugitive from justice"  manages to land a promising job and rise to the heights of that profession and also gain "high society" status.  Gets discovered and sent back to the chain gang.  Escapes again and is forced to become "invisible".

Sepiatone

• Like 5

Death of a Scoundrel (1956)

George Sanders plays a Czech immigrant in the USA. He starts as a poor man, swiftly turns rich by cheating financially, but then his victims turn  against him. I won't give away the ending, but there's a clue in the title.

• Like 3

Death of a Scoundrel (1956)

George Sanders plays a Czech immigrant in the USA. He starts as a poor man, swiftly turns rich by cheating financially, but then his victims turn  against him. I won't give away the ending, but there's a clue in the title.

You're right..the title is certainly a spoiler..! Excellent movie though.

• Like 1

Cavegirl, how about the TV series, "Brideshead Revisited", which has always impressed me with its' sense of time and loss?

Brideshead Revisited started me on my lifelong love of novels by Evelyn Waugh.  It is a true depiction of the trials and tribulations of an interwar year British family and associated characters.  Another decline and fall depiction of a society is "Jewel in the Crown"   about war and post war India.  This series is based on the Raj Quartet by Paul Scott and a terrific read as well as a watch. 

• Like 2

The Jerk (1979) is about a man born a poor black child whose fabulous invention makes him wealthy beyond his wildest dreams and lands him a lovely, trumpet-playing white wife. But wealth turns him into, well, a jerk, and then his invention proves to have disastrous unintended consequences. A class-action suit leaves him with nothing but an ashtray, a paddle ball, a remote control, matches, a lamp, a chair and a calendar.

• Like 2

A rather simplistic version of events but such things happen still whether it be in business, or in government or in the movies.

In business the name that comes to mind is Blockbuster Video. I read a story about their rise and fall and how many chances they had to keep up with that times. And how they refused to change anything until their demise when it was too late. Including turning down an offer to buy Netflix :lol:  for pennies compared to what its worth now.

Its the lifespan of an actor:

Who's John Doe ?

Get me John Doe !

Get me a John Doe like !

Get me a young John Doe !

Who's John Doe ?

• Like 1

British director JOHN KRISH died recently; he made a 1969 movie 'DECLINE AND FALL OF A BIRD WATCHER'.  Stands to reason then said bird watcher rose ^up^ or he could not decline!  (After all, logically speaking how can one decline if one is already at rock bottom?)    

Even though it's only talked about by some of the characters in retrospect and we're never shown a time in the film when the imagined little town of Anarene TX is in its heyday...would or could that oh-so depressing but brilliant movie THE LAST PICTURE SHOW qualify for mention in this thread?

(...I mean, it's at least a very strong if not the ultimate cinematic example of the "post-WWII small town America in decline" phenomenon, right?!)

Brideshead Revisited started me on my lifelong love of novels by Evelyn Waugh.  It is a true depiction of the trials and tribulations of an interwar year British family and associated characters. .... 

Emily, I'm surprised you didn't mention the Evelyn Waugh novel which is titled, appropriately enough, Decline and Fall .

Almost every entity that has existed has a strong period, followed by a bit of loss of prestige and then finally destruction.

Many cause their own downfall, as in the Roman Empire which had reasons like a lack of understanding of their core values, which led to invasions by outside forces, with over-expansion and usage of cheap labor to make up for overspending at the top echelon. This type of internal corruption caused the migration of barbarians and a weakening of their initial supporters who felt betrayed.

A rather simplistic version of events but such things happen still whether it be in business, or in government or in the movies. Or even at a cable tv conglomerate or places like that depicted in the film "Network".

Even a performer can go through these stages witness the career of Early Elvis, Middle Elvis and Late Elvis.

Name a movie which personifies such a rise and decline.

The early gangster classics LITTLE CAESAR and PUBLIC ENEMY?

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings