Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Holly Martins or Jedediah Leland or ???

CaveGirl

With the vast amount of film scholars who post here, and with their vast cinema knowledge it should be no problem to pick one's favorite performance by legendary actor, Joseph Cotten.

Even those who know little about movies could probably name at least one exceptional characterization of his, being that he has appeared in numerous movies in a career spanning the years from 1941 to 1981, beginning with the illustrious and somewhat controversial film "Citizen Kane" and even appearing in fun flicks like "The Abominable Doctor Phibes" later in his career.

Though Cotten graced so many films, my particular favorite role of his is that of Holly Martins from the iconic Carol Reed film, "The Third Man", because in this film he runs the gamut from gullible to knowing, showing the many sides of a character and even is able to delineate a change of heart about his pal, Harry Lime.

Bravo to a most iconic and talented thespian in film.

What is your favorite Joseph Cotten role?

You just picked mine, CG. Holly Martins it is.

And probably closely followed by his Uncle Charlie in Hitchcock's SHADOW OF A DOUBT.

(...btw, did I ever tell ya about my theory that says Joseph Cotten was David Letterman's real dad?...yep, always thought Dave looked a lot like Joseph) ;)

You just picked mine, CG. Holly Martins it is.

And probably closely followed by his Uncle Charlie in Hitchcock's SHADOW OF A DOUBT.

(...btw, did I ever tell ya about my theory that says Joseph Cotten was David Letterman's real dad?...yep, always thought Dave looked a lot like Joseph) ;)

They do kind of look alike, Dargo.

I remember reading way back that people thought John Kerr was the illegitimate son of Franchot Tone due to looking somewhat alike. Just thinking of him makes me reflect on the line I've used many times which is "When you think of me in the future, and you will...be kind."

I have some tea and crumpets in my fridge right now, but not much sympathy left.

Have you ever used that one?

They do kind of look alike, Dargo.

I remember reading way back that people thought John Kerr was the illegitimate son of Franchot Tone due to looking somewhat alike. Just thinking of him makes me reflect on the line I've used many times which is "When you think of me in the future, and you will...be kind."

I have some tea and crumpets in my fridge right now, but not much sympathy left.

Have you ever used that one?

Nope, but as I recall, I MIGHT have used the ol' "Wanna come over to my place and see my etchings" line a few times!!! ;)

Nope, but as I recall, I MIGHT have used the ol' "Wanna come over to my place and see my etchings" line a few times!!! ;)

Have I mentioned you're vastly amusing, besides having a vast amount of movie knowledge, Dargo?

If not, then I just did!

Eben Adams in Portrait Of Jennie or Uncle Charlie...they're both really good. Holly Martins takes the cake for me, and is my favorite. I even like that small part he has in Soylent Green.  He's just a fantastic actor.

Thanks, King Vidor Poster!

He was great in POJ too as you say.

Of course, Cotten is always good in anything.

I love Cotten as Sgt. Zachary Morgan and Ginger Rogers as Mary Marshall in "I'll Be Seeing You" (1944). They play damaged people who meet on a train during the Christmas season -- and fall in love. The film proves that F. Scott Fitzgerald was wrong. There are second acts in American lives. 

illbeseeingyou_whatthewarslike_FC_HD_299

Shadow of a Doubt

Lady Frankenstein

Baron Blood

I have to add Joseph's performance in "Since You Went Away", another subtle execution of a character.  I always enjoyed watching Joseph Cotten as he was "never over the top".  Don't forget his role in "Love Letters" .  It is interesting to note he was in three movies with Jennifer Jones, "Love Letters", "Portrait of Jennie" and "Duel in the Son"  and I don't believe anyone noted his performance in "Gaslight". 

While I am an unapologetic fan of George Sanders I don't mind adding Joseph Cotten to my list.

It is interesting to note he was in three movies with Jennifer Jones, "Love Letters", "Portrait of Jennie" and "Duel in the Son"

I know there's lust in that last movie, but I can't remember whether there's anything incestuous. :P

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings