Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A BRIDGE TOO FAR In Puerto Rico

Palmerin

When I watched ABTF in Rio Piedras, PR, the original reaction of the public was very positive; everybody was clearly enjoying the action and the performances of its many stars. That reaction changed at the ending; the downbeat ending, with everybody in the movie sad and morose at having lost the battle, made the public very angry, and they did not hesitate to yell it out loud. It seems most of that public did not know the story of the Battle of Arnhem, so its disappointing ending caught them by surprise because they were expecting another THE LONGEST DAY.

How was your experience when you saw ABTF in the theatre? I myself loved the music of John Addison, who was himself a veteran of Market Garden.

I guess the "subtlety" of the title, "A Bridge Too Far", and regardless one's lack of historical knowledge, must have gone right over the audience's head even before they plunked down their money to see it there in P.R., eh Palmerin?! ;)

(...FWIW...I remember people being in a rather solemn mood TOO while leaving the theater after the showing in L.A. and where I saw it back in the day, but I don't recall anyone being necessarily "p*sses off" that it didn't have a "happy ending")

Btw Palerin, I wonder how that same audience might have reacted to the ending of "The Bridges at Toko-Ri"???

(...'cause watchin' Bill Holden, Mickey Rooney and Earl Holliman buyin' the ol' farm in that North Korean field isn't exactly a real "up" of an ending EITHER, ya know!!!) ;)

I guess the "subtlety" of the title, "A Bridge Too Far", and regardless one's lack of historical knowledge, must have gone right over the audience's head even before they plunked down their money to see it there in P.R., eh Palmerin?! ;)

Sounds like a plan to bridge Puerto Rico with the Dominican Republic. ;)

(...FWIW...I remember people being in a rather solemn mood TOO while leaving the theater after the showing in L.A. and where I saw it back in the day, but I don't recall anyone being necessarily "p*sses off" that it didn't have a "happy ending")

I suspect CORNELIUS RYAN is to blame; Boricuas--including myself--loved the THE LONGEST DAY book and movie, so when my compatriots saw his name associated to the Attenborough flick, they jumped to the conclusion that it was another DAY.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings