Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's on your top shelf?

This was inspired by The Evil Thread . What's on the top shelf of your DVD (or VHS) collection?

Rules: No fair rearranging it or leaving things out to make yourself look better. If you have a copy of "Meet the Fockers" or "Dude, Where's My Car," post it. No fair making fun of other people's taste, although discussion about the titles is encouraged -- otherwise this is just a silly list thread. This obviously works better if you're like me and don't bother to organize them in any particular order.

Ok, here's mine:

Xiu Xiu the Sent Down Girl

Badlands

M

Dr. Strangelove

LA Confidential

First National Collection (Chaplin)

The Wild Wild World of the Batwoman (MST3K)

Road to Perdition

The Abyss

The Man Who Would Be King

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys

Sanjuro

High and Low

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

The Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney silent version)

From Hell

The Omen

Seven Samurai

A Nightmare on Elm Street

The Kid/A Dog's Life

Heathers

So how about yours?

Well, I have several 'top shelves' in my DVD collection, because I have so many: currently 875 titles in my commercial release collection (boxed sets count as only one title, so there are actually alot more), and a few hundred more titles in my burned DVD collection (mainly from TCM, but some History Channel stuff too).

However, only about 1/3 to 1/2 of my commercial releases are classic film. I'm a pretty big scifi buff too, so there are alot of scifi TV and movies in there (Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, The X-Files, etc). And I also own about 125 'modern' films and a few TV shows that are not scifi-related, such as The Sopranos, Homicide: Life on the Street, Seinfeld, M*A*S*H and few others.

Since I organize this collection by genre, what I type in this thread depends upon which shelf I go to...which of course is not representative of the entire collection. So in the interests of honesty, I wanted to state that upfront.

That said, the top shelf (of two) that is directly under my TV set includes the following:

The Douglas Fairbanks Collection

The Chaplin Collection v. 1

The Chaplin Collection v. 2

The Chaplin Mutual Comedies

Unknown Chaplin

Charlie Chaplin: The Forgotten Years

The Harold Lloyd Collection v. 1

The Harold Lloyd Collection v. 2

The Art of Buster Keaton

The Thin Man Collection

The James Stewart Signature Collection

The Clark Gable Signature Collection

The Errol Flynn Signature Collection

The Bette Davis Collection v. 2

The Greta Garbo Signature Collection

The Astaire and Rogers Collection v. 1

As you can see, I keep my boxed sets on the shelves under the TV. :D

You don't alphabetize, JonParker! How can you find a movie when you really, really need it?

I have several "top shelves," also...but I'm at work now, so I'll have to get back with you on that one...

From your list-I have "The Road To Perdition." Sam Mendes is quite the auteur. I loved "American Beauty."

"...Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in."

Here is my top shelf and I am following your rules.

One of these days I am going to organize it all I promise.

The Turn of the Screw (1974) D. Dan Curtis

The Viking Queen (1967)

Tower of Evil (1972)

The Reptile (1966) D. John Gilling

The Wayvern Mystery (2000)

To the Devil a Daughter (1976) D. Peter Sykes

Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)

The Vengeance of She (1968)

Demons of the Mind (1972)

Wodehouse Playhouse (1975)

Brideshead Revisited (1981)

The Duchess of Duke Street (1976)

The Forsyte Saga (2002)

The Real Charlotte (1991)

Under my TV I have:

The Forsyte Saga (1967)I'm only half way through this....

Dark Shadows: Vol. 7 Disc 3

Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964)

Spanky and Our Gang

The Story of Adele H.

Message was edited by:

allieharding

Wow, you have even more DVDs than I do.

I also have more than one top shelf, but since one of them is nearly half taken up by all seven seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and all four "Futurama" seasons I thought that the one I chose would be more representative. The other one contains more box sets, including "Kids in the Hall" and the Busby Berkeley set.

The Art of Buster Keaton box set is great. I have that one too.

WOW!!! Can I come over?

Here's my top shelf. It's a mess - I have only a handful of DVDs (stone ager) and I tape 3 or 4 movies on each tape. I also have a lot of purchased Vids - would like to go to DVD but am too cheap. Can barely afford satellite and my TCM guide - I'm NOT giving that up. This list includes the ones my nieces stuffed up there.

The Gay Divorcee

Top Hat

Swing Time

Shall We Dance

(These 4 I guard with my life)

Wizard of Oz

A Very Muppet Christmas

Titanic

The Divorce of Madame X

Dogtown, the documentary

Cinderella, with Brandy

My Fair Lady

Poor Little Rich Girl

Brother, Where Art Thou?

McClintock (not mine)

Reaching for the Moon

Well, I am organized and, therefore in this instance, rather boring when it comes to what is on the top shelf. These are all VHS taped from digital cable.

23 films from the year 1939 (all the "big" ones so I won't bother with the titles.)

----- standing vertically with the following piled horizontally on top of those -----

The Westerner

Red River

My Darling Clementine

The Ox-Bow Incident

Citizen Kane

The Magnificent Ambersons

The Lady From Shanghai

Touch Of Evil

David Copperfiels

Fury

The Quiet Man

Inherit The Wind

High Noon

The Maltese Falcon

The Heiress

Mrs. Miniver

A Place In The Sun

Mutiny On THe Bounty

On The Waterfront

Night Of The Hunter

Sweet Smell Of Success

Yeah, it is a rather wide shelf tucked into an empty double-wide Murphy Bed closet. All in all, there are over 300 tapes total on the shelving unit...and I can close the doors and hide them when need be.

It might have been more enlightening to ask what I have slipped into the corners.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi Jon,

Well, I was an early adapter to DVDs...and as you probably know, scifi fans do tend to collect TV shows. So I have ended up with alot of DVDs.

I also have all the seasons of Buffy...as well as Angel and the one season of Firefly. And of course, all of the Star Trek Shows and the Stargate shows, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, The X-Files, Babylon 5 & Crusade, The 4400, etc. As a result of all these scifi TV show sets, I estimate that about 4/10 of my dvd collection is scifi, 3/10 is classic film, and 3/10 is non-scifi TV and 'modern' movies.

I don't have Futurama though. ;)

The shelf I picked for this thread was the one right under my TV...but most of my classic films are not in boxed sets, so even *that* wasn't representative, really. I own alot of classic films that are not in boxed sets. I would say that the most represented actors in my commercial release classic film collection are:

Humphrey Bogart

Gary Cooper

Gregory Peck

Errol Flynn

Clark Gable

Charlie Chaplin

Cary Grant

But if you add in burned DVDs, I also have a very strong collection of Rudolph Valentino stuff - I have every film he ever made that is available to the public (many of his films are considered lost films, and there is one film in an archive that exists, but has not been released to anyone in any way, shape or form, that I am aware of - other than that, I have them all). And I am VERY close to collecting everything that Bogie ever did if you count burned DVDs - I think I am missing about 5 that are not considered lost films.

If you add in VHS tapes, I have every Errol Flynn film known to still be in existance as well.

When it comes to classic film, I collect titles I like...but I also collect actors I like. And the ones named above are my favorites who I have actively worked on collecting - the 'good' films as well as the 'not-so-good' titles. *lol* Along with Olivia deHavilland, Barbara Stanwyck, Spencer Tracy, Charles Boyer, Mary Pickford, Myrna Loy, William Powell, Basil Rathbone, and a few others.

To me, it's sort of a challenge to track down all of these obscure films by my favorite actors. The challenge is part of the fun for me. Which is also why I collect first edition books related to my favorite stars. I love the detective work! *lol*

pktrekgirl:

My gosh, you don't have 'Taken'? I've watched all ten, 2 hour long episodes 4 times beides the original showing. By all means, if you find the complete series anywhere, you HAVE to get it. I was in a tizzy when it was on, I couldn't WAIT for the next episode. And shortly before, or after, can't remember which Spielbergs 'Brothers' was on. Lucky I was still working at the time so I was able to buy all the tapes I needed. They have a special place in my collection set aside all by themselves.

Anne

I organize, but not necessarily alphabetically. I try to do it in a way that makes sense to me in my twisted brain.

Here is what I do:

Scifi shelving unit - organized by TV show, and if there are multiple TV shows in a group, I organize the shows in order of the air date of the first episode. Movies are kept with the shows they relate to.

So for example, on my scifi shelf, I have groups:

Star Trek: Star Trek (original), The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, Star Trek movies.

(the same for The X-Files, Babylon 5, Farscape and Firefly, which all had post-series films attached.)

Stargate: Stargate (the movie), Stargate: SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis (the movie spawned the TV shows, in this case, so it comes first)

Classic film I organize differently.

My commercial releases, I organize by headlining actor, for the most part. So all the Cary Grant stuff, for example, is together on one shelf - not in alpha order, but easy to find. I keep the silent stuff in the same way...but together in one place as a kind of 'sub-group' - so all the Mary Pickford films are together, for example, with the Clara Bow films right next to them.

Commercially produced boxed sets are kept separately...but again, silents in a separate sub-group. And within the subgroups, by headlining actor/actress. I will soon have two Clark Gable boxed sets, so those will be kept together, for example...like I keep all the Chaplin stuff together.

Burned DVDs are kept in alpha order by film title, but I have separate boxes for both silents and for classic film documentaries. I also have little mini-portfolios on 6 of my favorite actors - each has duplicates of my favorite 20 films for that actor, all on burned DVDs. This makes it easy to quickly grab films when I'm packing to go out of town, etc.

'Modern' films: I don't have that many of them, so they are pretty unorganized. Although I do keep sequels together. So all the Matrix films are together, all the Lord of the Rings films are together, all the Harry Potter films are together.

I think that's about it, for organization.

I'm curious as to how others with large DVD collections of varied genre and type organize themselves.

Actually, I didn't watch Taken when it was on.

Back then, I wasn't as interested in alien abduction stories as I was in futuristic space stories like Star Trek and Babylon 5, or in vampire stuff like Buffy and Angel. I watched The X-Files, but I liked that more for the conspiracy stuff than for any alien abduction stuff that happened...which surprisingly wasn't that much, given the show's nine year run and it's original premise.

However, The 4400 has been GREAT, I think, and has made me more interested in alien abduction stories and such...so I may have to give Taken a shot! :)

I organize too, but I'm strictly the Public Library. Everything is alphabetical with a number at the top of the tape and a BIG RED dot for when I loan them out. I also have a handwritten index card file cross reference for quick reference and to find a tape immediately.

"I organize too, but I'm strictly the Public Library. Everything is alphabetical with a number at the top of the tape and a BIG RED dot for when I loan them out. I also have a handwritten index card file cross reference for quick reference and to find a tape immediately."

I love that! I've been wanting to catalogue mine; mainly because of the short subjects that are included. I can never remember which short is on which DVD. Mine are alphabetic, but under four sections: 1) television; 2) Childhood memories; 3) Box sets; and 4) Movies.

Wow!!! VERY impressive!!!

You are way more organized than I could ever be!!!

But truly, I really can't imagine what my DVD collection would be like without a system. I mean, mine is sorta my own hacked together system, but it works for me, at least.

If I didn't have that system, I would be SO screwed! *lol*

But yours...yours is IMPRESSIVE!!!

I'll play too!

The Thing With Two Heads

A Place in the Sun

Marty

Sunset Blvd.

The Best of Everything

How to Steal a Million

A New Kind of Love

Good Night and Good Luck

Carrie (the version with Laurence Oliver, Jennifer Jones and Eddie Albert)

A Letter to Three Wives

Leave Her to Heaven

Lady in a Cage

The Entertainer

Darling

A Double Life

The Snake Pit

Sabrina

The Star

MST3K Season 2

King Kong (2005 version)

And tv shows:

Arrested Development Season 3

Stella

The Monkees season 2

I don't have any kind of filing system for the dvd's I buy, but I do have some nifty 100 disc storage organizers for the movies I tape off TCM and the cable channels. Those I'm organized with. The ones in the keep cases, I'm not.

JonParker, finally someone who thinks I have good taste! My friends come over and go, "Don't you have any GOOD movies? LOTR? Harry Potter? Anything?" To which I then throw them out. Ha ha.

"The Thing With Two Heads" was hell to get. I had to finally buy that through Amazon Canada, but it was SO worth it.

Okay here goes! Actually, I have my movies in a box. Here's what's on top:

The Great Gatsby (1974)

New York, New York

Frances

The Day of the Locust

Sunset Blvd.

A Streetcar named Desire

The Letter

A Stolen Life

The Star

Marie Antoinette

Duel in the Sun

Imitation of Life

Camille

A Star is Born (1954)

Auntie Mame

Moulin Rouge

Birth (2004)

The Next Best Thing

Indecent Proposal

Far and Away

The Scarlet Letter (1995)

Basic Instinct 2

Love on the Run

Flamingo Road

Mildred Pierce

When Ladies Meet (1941)

Bonnie and Clyde

Brokeback Mountain

Lifeboat

Gilda

Madame Curie

Christmas in Connecticut

Some of these dvds I made myself by recording from TCM with my dvd recorder and packaging them with artwork in dvd cases. :)

I suppose it would depend on what room I am in at any given time. My collection (viewable at http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Floorwalker) is spread out over several places.

Turning around to look at the shelf behind me I see:

Toy Story 1 & 2

Van Helsing

Dudley Do-Right

Meat Loaf: Bat Out of Hell

Aviator (1985)

Valentine

Bells on Their Toes

The Day After

Friday The 13th 1 & 2

Hoosiers

The Misfits

Amistad

Sleuth

JFK

Chances Are

Wow, now THAT'S what I call organization!! And on a website, no less. I thought I was doing well because I have mine in MS Office. Kudos, CaptainP!

Bat Out of Hell!!! I love that song, I love Meat, I love Meat in Rocky Horror.... :)

And Dudley Do-Right....your head's in the right place, Sir. Good stuff -- did you too root for Snidely Whiplash (and Dishonest John from Beany & Cecil)? Misunderstood gents, the lot of them.

dolores

I'm in awe of some of the systems y'all have!!! I feel like a slacker, but I can still find what I'm looking for when I want a movie. My books on the other hand always go back in the same place they came from.

Have 4 real top shelves that are double stacked and invading the 2nd shelves.

1st top shelf:

Concerts like Clapton, The Who, Boz Skaggs, Meatloaf, music videos, Lots of drum videos, also comedy concerts like Robin Williams, Eddie Izzard and Rowan Atkinson, and about 15-20 musical films.

2nd top:

comedies, Cary Grant, William Powell, anyone who makes us laugh like Princess Bride, The In Laws, Glen Ford, Harlow, Marie Dressler, Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, Father Ted, Blackadder.

3rd:

dramas, romance, Errol Flynn has a section here, war movies like Hell in the Pacific, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison, Blackhawk Down, Paths of Glory. Lost Horizons and Goodbye Mr. Chips, Random Harvest, A Tale of Two Cities.

4th:

This top shelf is actually a 6' tall bookcase from top to bottom with everything that Disney has sold for the last 22 years and WB toons, family movies. School House Rock, Rocky and Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle, etc. I still spend my Saturday mornings with Bugs, Daffy, and Porky.

I use DVD profiler also, but only for my commercial releases.

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/PKTrekGirl

I don't put my burned films in there, because DVD Profiler always tries to force you to put all sorts of info in there on any film you add.

For me, however, I don't usually have a problem remembering what I own. My problem is in remembering where I put it! So that's why I have my 'systems'.

Stoneyburke, alot of folks use services like DVD Profiler. It is very useful. Plus, if your DVD collection is extensive and worth a fair amount of money, it is handy to have for homeowners insurance purposes.

I run alot in scifi circles (as you will notice if you look at my DVD Profiler page), and I don't know...maybe it's just cus alot of scifi fans are also computer geeks...but most everyone I know in the scifi community organizes their DVD collections on DVD Profiler or something similar. There are a few services to pick from. :)

• 3 weeks later...

For vhs

some disney movies

T L.Mermaid

L King

Emperors New Groove

Peter Pan

Beauty And The Beast

101 Dalmatians

Snow White

Pinocchio

Finding Nemo

Jungle Book

Comedies All The Blondie Movie's

Couple of Ma and Pa Kettle movies

Odd Couple

Most of The Marx Brother Movies

1 Francis The Talking Mule movie

a couple of Abbott and Costello movies

Musicals

Fiddler On The Roof

The King And I

West Side Story

Sound of Music

Mysteries

all The Thin Man movies

a couple of Charlie Chan

Death On The NileWhich I plan to get them on dvd so I can watch on the computer!

My DVD List Consists of

Fantasia My All Time favorite Disney Movie

Madagascar

Alice In Wonderland

Lady and The Tramp The Matrix collection [ Family ones I do not like either]

One Who Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest A great movie

Grease

Make Room For daddy

Popeye the Cartoon

[The bourne Supremacy and Indemnity My family's moviesI do not like those movies]

santa Clause 2

You bet your Life

Jack Benny

Gone with the wind

The Incredible's

Gone In sixty seconds do not like that movie either.

Friday

If you have never seen it watch It it's a very funny movie.

Odd Couple 2