Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert/Ben Movie Introductions?

Retro_Panda

I usually just set my DVR to record the movies I want to see but do not spend alot of time watching TCM the rest of the week. I am wondering if there is a pattern to movies that have an introduction by Robert Osborne/Ben Mankiewicz. Most movies I record do not have this but every once in a while I am treated to an introduction. Does anyone know if when I am seeing this if I happen to record a movie on a certain day/time or is it just random movies maybe for being popular or something that have it. Any details/help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated as I would like to start watching these regularly. Thanks in advance...

I guess I'm the first person to see this thread, and I'm not sure I'm the most qualified to answer, but to the best of my knowledge, there are introductions to every film that airs between 8 pm and midnight, Eastern time, seven nights a week (maybe once or twice a year, there's a last-second substitution for copyright reasons, and those replacement films air without an introduction, but this is very infrequent).

Also, all films airing on Saturday between 1 pm and 8 pm get introductions. TCM has just hired a new host for this job, which has been getting quite a bit of discussion on other threads. Some of the films that air late at night on Saturdays and Sundays for special programming like Foreign Films, Silent Sundays and TCM Underground, also get introductions.

• Like 1

Retro_Panda--All movies on Sunday between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. (E.S.T.) get introductions.  There is also a Guest Programmer once a month, who Introduces the first three films for that night.  The days vary, but for May, that night is tonight,  the 31st, & the Programmer is Matthew Broderick..

The first three movies each weeknight are introduced, usually by Ben; Robert has had health issues, and that has changed the schedule.  The Essentials, with Robert and Sally Field, is supposed to resume Saturday, June 4th (this may have been delayed, I'm Not sure).  I believe Tiffany Vazquez, the new host, will introduce the Sat. afternoon movies June 4th.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forums. :)

I usually just set my DVR to record the movies I want to see but do not spend alot of time watching TCM the rest of the week. I am wondering if there is a pattern to movies that have an introduction by Robert Osborne/Ben Mankiewicz. Most movies I record do not have this but every once in a while I am treated to an introduction. Does anyone know if when I am seeing this if I happen to record a movie on a certain day/time or is it just random movies maybe for being popular or something that have it. Any details/help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated as I would like to start watching these regularly. Thanks in advance...

There are sometimes daytime intros on holidays, although I don't know if that was the case with the recent Memorial Day Weekend programming. I've been busy with sporting events.

Also, all films airing on Saturday between 1 pm and 8 pm get introductions. TCM has just hired a new host for this job, which has been getting quite a bit of discussion on other threads. Some of the films that air late at night on Saturdays and Sundays for special programming like Foreign Films, Silent Sundays and TCM Underground, also get introductions.

Some of the TCM Imports air without introductions.

I presume this  means that Ben Mankiewicz has not seen those movies.

I think that is a safe assumption.

You should never assume because...

Well, you know the rest if you've seen that old TV episode of "The Odd Couple." I'm sure TCM simply limits intros for the early morning hours. For example, the recent salute to AIP with Roger Corman also featured movies -- including the 1960s youth-oriented pics "Wild in the Streets" and "Three in the Attic" -- that aired without introductions.

• Like 1

I'm sure TCM simply limits intros for the early morning hours. For example, the recent salute to AIP with Roger Corman also featured movies -- including the 1960s youth-oriented pics "Wild in the Streets" and "Three in the Attic" -- that aired without introductions.

I wasn't referring to the movies that are aired in the wee hours of the morning.

There are hardly ever any host introductions to these.

In fact, I don't know if there are ever any introductions to them.

I was referring to the TCM Import that airs in the first spot on Sunday.

Usually Ben Mankiewicz  provides an introduction for the first TCM Import of the evening as well as some commentary at the end.

On more than one occasion, however, the first TCM Import has aired without any host commentary .

One such example was LA HAINE.

I still contend there was no introductory and closing comments because Ben Mankiewicz had not seen the movie.

I don't think the Underground movies get an introduction.  The Spotlight series gets a guest host.  New Years Eve gets hosted all day, 'til now by Robert Osborne.  Can't remember if 4 July, Thanksgiving, or Christmas Eve get the same treatment.

I don't think the Underground movies get an introduction.  The Spotlight series gets a guest host.  New Years Eve gets hosted all day, 'til now by Robert Osborne.  Can't remember if 4 July, Thanksgiving, or Christmas Eve get the same treatment.

I seem to remember that Osborne has done daytime intros on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Independence Day and Labor Day. On the latter holiday, TCM usually features a salute to the annual Telluride Film Festival.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings