Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sheldon

Inner Sanctum Mysteries on DVD

I bought the set yesterday. 6 movies! I'm a sucker for all these Universal suspense -horror fims. Who could go wrong? And the great Acquanetta's in one of them! Did I spell her name correctly?

Let us know how "Weird Woman" is. I've always been curious about it, since it is based on the novel "Conjure Wife" by Fritz Leiber, which became the terrific British horror film "Burn Witch Burn."

Oh, that's right. I read that! I love " Burn, Witch, Burn!! One of my all-time favorites. Great performance by Janet Blair, don't you think? I love her character's name. Tanzy, isn't it?

I think that's right. "Burn Witch Burn" is terrific. I think it is even better than Leiber's novel. It is as good as "Curse of the Demon," if not a little better.

The screenplay was written by Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont, who were working on "The Twilight Zone" at that time. Anyway, Beaumont copied some business from "Burn Witch Burn" for the opening of his TZ episode "The Jungle."

Hey Mike!

I started watching " Weird Woman." Definitely has some similarities with " Burn Witch, Burn." I love the disembodied Inner Sanctum head right before the credits.I'm sure this'll be true for each of the films. By the way, it's grat to see Evelyn Ankers in the "other woman" role. Nice change of pace.

I've never seen the Inner Sanctum movies, but here are some facts about the Inner Sanctum radio show that tie in with movies.

It was broadcast from New York. Himan Brown was the director. (He would later direct the CBS Radio Mystery Theater in the Seventies.) During the first year, a number of the stories starred Boris Karloff, who was in New York doing "Arsenic and Old Lace" on stage. Sadly, most of these episodes have been lost.

After 1943 or so, Inner Sanctum relied on a corps of radio actors, and Richard Widmark did a lot of bad guy roles for them before he broke into movies with "Kiss of Death" in 1947.

Inner Sanctum was hosted by "Raymond," who basically provided jokey commentary. "His dreams don't need interpretation. They need cremation." In some ways, he set the model for the horror movie host job on TV.

So far, I've watched 3 of the films. And, though they're not perfect, they're pretty damn close !! I was very surprised. I'm really enjoying them. Acquanetta in " Dead Man's Eyes" has to be seen to be believed. Her line readings are, to put it kindly, rather wooden!!

I'm really enjoying this series. It's a great bargain!!

Thanks so much for the info. At the price it's selling for over on Amazon, you can't beat it. That's like $3.33 a movie!

I finished this whole series last night. It's a great bargain-no extras-but almost perfect prints.My favorite is "Strange Confession" but they're all really enjoyable!!

Thanks for keeping me posted. I ordered it from Amazon last night and I can't wait till it comes in.

Hey Sheldon,

I just started my collection tonight. It was one of my birthday presents from the little wife. I watched CALLING DR. DEATH, and it was great. Man was I impressed with the clarity of the picture. And, the sound was great too, considering how much you hear Chaney's conscience. What a great bargain this set was. I can't wait to watch them all.

Gerb

Hey Gerb!

I'm really happy you liked it. It's amazing the entertainment value packed into 60 minutes each-with no padding.

You're right. The clarity is pretty exceptional !!

How do you like Mr. Inner Sanctum?

Shelly

Hey Shelly,

Thanks for the birthday nod. So far, I've only watched the first movie. I'm gonna make myself wait a few days in between each, so their plots won't all run together in my head. That's tough to do. Believe me, I can't wait to watch the rest of them. I'll give you my feedback on Mr. Inner Sanctum when I'm further into the series.

Gerb

I just watched WEIRD WOMAN, and boy was it outstanding! It was strange to see Evelyn Ankers as the heavy, but she was very good at it. It's almost hard to believe that three women wanted Chaney at once!

Well, I just knocked out DEAD MAN'S EYES last night, and the movies just seem to keep getting better. Chaney did such a good job as a blind man. What a performance! And yes, Acquanetta's acting ability leaves much to be desired, but who cares? I still enjoy these movies so much. Too bad they didn't make more (but then again they would have probably gotten too cheesey). For now, I'm extremely satisfied with what I've seen.

Glad to hear you're liking them, Gerb. I think they really pack a bang for the buck. I don't think I'd seen these films before, either!!

No, I'd never seen them before either, but they were released individually back in the late 90s on VHS. I read some reviews about them from Leonard Maltin. I kept holding out though hoping they'd find their way to TCM. Well, after eight years of no luck, I jumped at the chance to get them all together in one set. When they were offered on VHS, they had an individual SRP of like $14.95! That would have been quite expensive. I bought all six for $19.87--what a deal!

No, I'd never seen them before either, but they were released individually back in the late 90s on VHS. I read some reviews about them from Leonard Maltin. I kept holding out though hoping they'd find their way to TCM. Well, after eight years of no luck, I jumped at the chance to get them all together in one set. When they were offered on VHS, they had an individual SRP of like $14.95! That would have been quite expensive. I bought all six for $19.87--what a deal!