Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heads Up for Harvey June 15

sewhite2000

Personally, I can kind of take or leave HARVEY, which is a little too whimsical for my tastes, but I will acknowledge by virtually every conceivable definition, it's a "classic", a term whose true meaning gets debated on this board from time to time. It's old; it's beloved; it has one of the most famous leading men of all time (and it was his personal favorite); it's critically acclaimed, etc., etc.,

So, I thought it was worth noting that TCM is quietly putting HARVEY on the schedule for the first time in eight years at midnight, Eastern Time, on June 15 (well, I guess that officially makes it June 16, but it's on the night of programming for the 15th). That is quintessentially TCM to not show a famous movie for eight years, and then when they finally do, they put it on the middle of the night. Nevertheless, heads up, everyone.

• Like 3

That'd be a difficult time for me.  But since HARVEY is near the top of my list of favorites, I'll make the effort.

One of Stewart's best, IMHO, and closely matched by ART CARNEY as Dowd in a TV presentation years ago.

And of course, thank you for the heads up.

Sepiatone

Personally, I can kind of take or leave HARVEY, which is a little too whimsical for my tastes, but I will acknowledge by virtually every conceivable definition, it's a "classic", a term whose true meaning gets debated on this board from time to time. It's old; it's beloved; it has one of the most famous leading men of all time (and it was his personal favorite); it's critically acclaimed, etc., etc.,

So, I thought it was worth noting that TCM is quietly putting HARVEY on the schedule for the first time in eight years at midnight, Eastern Time, on June 15 (well, I guess that officially makes it June 16, but it's on the night of programming for the 15th). That is quintessentially TCM to not show a famous movie for eight years, and then when they finally do, they put it on the middle of the night. Nevertheless, heads up, everyone.

Yep! Kind of a shame most schizophrenics aren't as easy-goin' as good ol' Elwood, huh. ;)

Personally, I can kind of take or leave HARVEY, which is a little too whimsical for my tastes

Same for me...

But for those of us who like more serious movies, there's always Night of the Lepus.   ;)

(Thank you for letting us know!)

• Like 2

Yep! Kind of a shame most schizophrenics aren't as easy-goin' as good ol' Elwood, huh. ;)

Yes, since one of the overriding symptoms of real schizophrenia is an over whelming sense of fear and impending doom, it's hard to imagine someone who's psychosis manages to come up with anything as loveable as a big sweet tempered rabbit.  The fantasy of "Harvey," was probably easier to buy  back before most of the big mental institutions turned their ill people out on the street.  Now that we've seen it up close, this film is  a little like trying to find the lighter side of cancer.

Wah, wah, wah, well, thanks for the heads up.

I've always enjoyed Harvey. I never worried very much about

Elwood's exact psychiatric diagnosis. I figured he was a small

town eccentric with a drinking problem, so seeing a six foot

plus rabbit wasn't that far out of reach. There is a somewhat

other worldly quality to the picture that I like. I also appreciate

his laid back life style--puttering around, taking walks, heading

down to the local watering hole and inviting people back home,

all with his good companion Harvey. At the local library book and

tape sale, I bought a copy of Harvey on VHS for a buck, so I'm

set. I'll probably watch it on TCM and midnight is just the shank

of the evening for me.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings