Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where's our SOTM Marie Dressler?

lydecker

I notice the home page banners include:  Billy Wilder, Stage to Screen, Roy Schneider and, of course, the normal "shilling" banners:  cruises and auctions.  But nothing for our SOTM Marie Dressler.  Pretty disturbing . . . 

I suspect it has something to do with Dressler not being as attractive as Norma Shearer or some of the other recent female SOTMs. TCM may be afraid a giant pic of her mug might scare away newbies to the Website. Just a guess.

Anyway, you can find a link to her spotlight under Inside TCM over on the left.

Marie Dressler should make a believer out of skeptics, with her warmth, humanity and humor, once her month-long tribute gets under way. Her looks will begin to recede as her main attribute as the month progresses.

• Like 5

I suspect it has something to do with Dressler not being as attractive as Norma Shearer or some of the other recent female SOTMs. TCM may be afraid a giant pic of her mug might scare away newbies to the Website. Just a guess.

Anyway, you can find a link to her spotlight under Inside TCM over on the left.

Well, what she lacked in looks, she certainly made up for with PRESENCE.

She could steal a scene without speaking a word, or even displaying any special behavior, and that speaks volumes.  Most other actors had to work at it.  Dressler had skills that towered over many of her contemporaries.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I also think one of the great things about Marie Dressler is that she "wears well."  While many of her contemporaries' (love them as I do) acting styles can come across as rather dated, hers does not.  Yes, she can be a bit "over the top" but, that's part of her charm.

Damn it.  They had better give her a banner on the home page and soon!  Roy Scheider, my ****!

Lydecker

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Like 6

But nothing for our SOTM Marie Dressler.

She doesn't NEED any banners....she'll just storm in & take over!

I hope the uninitiated will discover her charms....love, love, LOVE Marie Dressler!

• Like 4

I wish TCM would get with it and do something for Canada Day, July 1. Marie Dressler was from Coburg, Ontario.  We have dozens of Canadian stars that TCM could feature on that day.  Norma Shearer, Walter Pidgeon, Walter Huston, Raymond Massey, Glenn Ford, Fay Wray, etc..

TCM celebrates Saint Patrick's day, Anzac Day.  

The is just a bit of trivia ... Barbara Stanwyck's mother was Canadian.

• Like 2

I wish TCM would get with it and do something for Canada Day, July 1. Marie Dressler was from Coburg, Ontario.  We have dozens of Canadian stars that TCM could feature on that day.  Norma Shearer, Walter Pidgeon, Walter Huston, Raymond Massey, Glenn Ford, Fay Wray, etc..

TCM celebrates Saint Patrick's day, Anzac Day.  

The is just a bit of trivia ... Barbara Stanwyck's mother was Canadian.

I agree.  Many, many of my favorites are Canadian.  Also, there is a great Vintage Film Festival held in Coburg each fall.  I think (don't quote me on this) that the honored star in 2016 is Gary Cooper.  Toying with the idea of attending if my work schedule permits.

• Like 1

Also, there is a great Vintage Film Festival 

Canadians do it well.

I just got a notice from the Toronto Film Society hosting a rare film festival at the George Eastman House in Rochester NY RAIDING THE VAULTS. Rare archival prints!

I think they also host a Silent Film Festival, a Film Noir Festival, and Early Comedy one too.

Plus, Canadians have manners and speak in complete sentences.

• Like 3

I gotta say this is the quietest I've seen a Star of the Month since probably June Allyson.  I've never been a huge fan of Marie but do enjoy a few of her movies such as Min And Bill and Dinner At Eight.  My favorite role of her's is probably in The Patsy (1928).  Not to deviate from the subject, but how incredibly talented was Marion Davies.  If you only know Marion Davies as the mistress of Hearst or have only seen Show People try and catch The Patsy.  I am no fan of Lucille Ball, for the simple fact that she "borrowed" a lot from Davies.... and Keaton and Chaplin and Lloyd (but that's another story for another time).  

• Like 3

vidorisking--Don't know if you've seen it, but Davies' "The Red Mill" (1926) is on TCM tonight, 12:30 a.m. E.S.T.--it's not her best film, but it is funny.  Also, "The Fair Co-Ed" (1927, and Not a good copy), "Janice Meredith" (1925) is on YouTube (last I saw it was on 5th or 6th page of results when I searched "Marion Davies), and her 1923 film "Little Old New York" is on there (have not seen it yet).

Back to Dressler, she is good in almost everything she did; "Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914) with her and Chaplin, is more than worth staying up for/recording, and "Anna Christie" (1930) is worth seeing; Dressler and Garbo are excellent together.

• Like 2

I've seen just about everything Davies has done.  The Red Mill is a great movie, however I always mix it up with The Red Lily (1924) with Ramon Novarro (another great movie).  I am a collector of silent film memorabilia and own a few great pieces of Davies. It should be noted that Davies was also a very charitable person, and helped out a lot of unfortunate people even after Hearst died.  Again, this woman should be celebrated for being a great talent and a great person and not lost to history.

• Like 1

The Inner Circle webpage has been updated for the month of June...and there is a nice section about Marie.

That's all well and good but when the current banners on the home page of the website contain nothing but money making opportunities:  Now Playing Guide, TCM Backlot Membership, the latest Bonham Auction and Shop TCM and there is no banner for the June SOTM I think that is just wrong! 

• Like 2

I agree.  Many, many of my favorites are Canadian.  Also, there is a great Vintage Film Festival held in Coburg each fall.  I think (don't quote me on this) that the honored star in 2016 is Gary Cooper.  Toying with the idea of attending if my work schedule permits.

My bad.  The Coburg Film Festival will feature many great vintage films but there is no "designated star."  It is CapitolFest (Rome, NY) which is honoring Gary Cooper in 2016.  Both events are definitely worth the drive.

I've loved Marie Dressler ever since I first saw her in "Dinner At Eight"  back in the late 1980's when TNT was showing old films. She can make you laugh or cry. I've seen most of her films over and over again and still laugh at her sequences. I'm happy that TCM is finally recognizing her and I hope she'll gain some new supporters this month once her films are showcased. For several years her films were rarely shown.

• Like 1

I've loved Marie Dressler ever since I first saw her in "Dinner At Eight"  back in the late 1980's when TNT was showing old films. She can make you laugh or cry. I've seen most of her films over and over again and still laugh at her sequences. I'm happy that TCM is finally recognizing her and I hope she'll gain some new supporters this month once her films are showcased. For several years her films were rarely shown.

She's someone I had heard of but barely knew her work before TCM came along.  What a great discovery.  She's a treasure.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings