Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Annette O'Toole and Michael McKean

CaveGirl

Well, I was flipping channels last nite and not intending to watch Thornton Wilder's "Our Town" because it is one of the few movies that really depresses me, and then I came upon Annette and Michael on TCM.

Wow, they were so informative, extemporaneously literate and articulate, that I had to listen to their whole intro for it. Now I've never really even seen the beginning of the movie, since I only once got into it [spoilerS AHEAD!!!] way around the latter part in the graveyard. I remember feeling really oddly down in the dumps and this coming from someone who has been attending funerals since I was five. My father said he did not want us to be afraid of anything, so he would take us to funerals of people we didn't know so we would see death as a transition, and then not be scared when it really was a person we knew in real life, but I digress.

Anyhow, Annette's and Michael's intro made me want to try for once to watch the whole movie and I did and was suitably impressed. In my opinion they were amazing as hosts since they can discuss things as if the topic just came up in conversation, and their movie and stage knowledge comes right off the top of their heads from their experience, and if it was pre-written then they are great enough actors to make it seem spontaneous, which is the best of both worlds.

If I headed TCM I'd hire them as hosts, but since no one at the top ever reads anything written on the boards, even if you all chose to vote unanimously for this to happen, it won't.

But it is fun to dream, ain't it. Giving opinions here is the stuff that dreams are made of...

• Like 5

Both Annette and  Michael are extremely talented and intelligent people.

Easy to see why Christopher Guest often uses Michael  or BOTH in his brilliant "mockumentaries"( as an old "folkie", I really dug his "A Mighty Wind").

Seeing them work together gives me a kind of "warm and fuzzy", as when they both appeared as man and wife "perps" on an epsode of LAW AND ORDER once.

Anyway, your idea gets MY vote, at least!

Sepiatone

Well, I was flipping channels last nite and not intending to watch Thornton Wilder's "Our Town" because it is one of the few movies that really depresses me, and then I came upon Annette and Michael on TCM.

Wow, they were so informative, extemporaneously literate and articulate, that I had to listen to their whole intro for it.

If I headed TCM I'd hire them as hosts, but since no one at the top ever reads anything written on the boards, even if you all chose to vote unanimously for this to happen, it won't.

But it is fun to dream, ain't it. Giving opinions here is the stuff that dreams are made of...

Amen.

I only saw their introes and outroes for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT and it was possibly the best "bumper" segment ever done that I've seen on TCM.

Knowledgable without seeming smug, ACCURATE (ahem!), great chemistry and- like Miss Stowe and only a few others- YOU COULD SENSE THEIR APPRECIATION AND ENTHUSIASM FOR THE MOVIE.

These segments did what the intro/outro segments for TCM, which many of us have debated the necessity of over the years, SHOULD DO: WHICH IS MAKE YOU WANT TO SEE THE GD MOVIE.

And the thing McKean said about "love being what holds this crazy family together" stuck with me and enhanced my appreciation of the film- which i watched all the way thru last night for the first time and it was pretty much 90% because of the spirited intro they gave.

TCM- THIS IS MONEY WELL SPENT.

• Like 6

Both Annette and  Michael are extremely talented and intelligent people.

Easy to see why Christopher Guest often uses Michael  or BOTH in his brilliant "mockumentaries"( as an old "folkie", I really dug his "A Mighty Wind").

Seeing them work together gives me a kind of "warm and fuzzy", as when they both appeared as man and wife "perps" on an epsode of LAW AND ORDER once.

Anyway, your idea gets MY vote, at least!

Sepiatone

Why thank you, Sepia! This is the first time I have ever been influential in any election.

I always have liked O'Toole and of course anyone who can play Lenny [corrected by Belle!] and then be totally unrecognizable as British rocker, David St. Hubbins is one heck of an actor! I must say it was not till halfway through TIST, that I realized it was McKean playing the part.

On the other hand, I at least was not so daft that I thought the movie was a real documentary, as some people did, so I give myself points for laughing at all the in-jokes like "bizarre gardening accident" and whatever. The greatest take-off of rock movies ever made for sure!

• Like 1

I watched their intro to Long Day's Journey Into Night. It was great. I've always loved McKean but haven't seen his wife in very many things especially not since the 80's. It was a nice discussion & they seemed very well prepared.

I watched that too, Helen and I so agree with you.

Another thing that was bugging me, was seeing Dean Stockwell, who to my mind is one of our finest actors, playing opposite Ralph Richardson and killing it. Stockwell as a wonderful child actor and an amazing adult performer too.

Dean is another actor who has never really gotten his due with the plaudits that are handed out routinely to lesser talents. Now he is one person I'd really love to see as a guest host on TCM. Boy, I bet he could tell stories about all the years he was in Hollywood and all the people he worked with.

Thanks, Helen!

• Like 2

Amen.

I only saw their introes and outroes for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT and it was possibly the best "bumper" segment ever done that I've seen on TCM.

Knowledgable without seeming smug, ACCURATE (ahem!), great chemistry and- like Miss Stowe and only a few others- YOU COULD SENSE THEIR APPRECIATION AND ENTHUSIASM FOR THE MOVIE.

These segments did what the intro/outro segments for TCM, which many of us have debated the necessity of over the years, SHOULD DO: WHICH IS MAKE YOU WANT TO SEE THE GD MOVIE.

And the thing McKean said about "love being what holds this crazy family together" stuck with me and enhanced my appreciation of the film- which i watched all the way thru last night for the first time and it was pretty much 90% because of the spirited intro they gave.

TCM- THIS IS MONEY WELL SPENT.

Well, you have said it all, Lorna so why am I posting?

Because seeing real repartee between two people on screen, who really know their stuff and can impart it with not feigned enthusiasm but true attachment and insights for the subject matter that did not come from a film study course, is a rare thing.

• Like 3

I watched that too, Helen and I so agree with you.

Another thing that was bugging me, was seeing Dean Stockwell, who to my mind is one of our finest actors, playing opposite Ralph Richardson and killing it. Stockwell as a wonderful child actor and an amazing adult performer too.

Dean is another actor who has never really gotten his due with the plaudits that are handed out routinely to lesser talents. Now he is one person I'd really love to see as a guest host on TCM. Boy, I bet he could tell stories about all the years he was in Hollywood and all the people he worked with.

Thanks, Helen!

I know I've posted this before so excuse me for repeating myself. When I went on the first TCM cruise, I went to the Ask TCM event and Stockwell's name came up. The person (I wish I could remember who it was and what her job was with TCM--I'm old) stated that they had tried to get him for an interview but he refused and the term curmudgeon was used. But he attends some of these conventions. I know he appeared at Dragon Con in Atlanta a few years back, so I'm not exactly sure why he's avoiding TCM.
  • Like 2

I know I've posted this before so excuse me for repeating myself. When I went on the first TCM cruise, I went to the Ask TCM event and Stockwell's name came up. The person (I wish I could remember who it was and what her job was with TCM--I'm old) stated that they had tried to get him for an interview but he refused and the term curmudgeon was used. But he attends some of these conventions. I know he appeared at Dragon Con in Atlanta a few years back, so I'm not exactly sure why he's avoiding TCM.

Personally I like curmudgeons, so that would be okay with me. In fact, some of my favorite screen performances have involved curmudgeons like Monty Wooley types and the like. 

Maybe the guy [stockwell] just has some self worth and doesn't throw himself into every venture that is offered? Maybe the slew of people who try to make money off such older stars has affected Stockwell and given him pause. Whatever the reason, thanks for your info, Helen!

Personally I like curmudgeons, so that would be okay with me. In fact, some of my favorite screen performances have involved curmudgeons like Monty Wooley types and the like. 

Maybe the guy [stockwell] just has some self worth and doesn't throw himself into every venture that is offered? Maybe the slew of people who try to make money off such older stars has affected Stockwell and given him pause. Whatever the reason, thanks for your info, Helen!

Interesting. Although I don't know sitting for an interview with Robert or Ben would be less dignified than going to a convention of Sci Fi & old tv shows. They weren't trying to get him to come on the cruise; the subject was Private Screenings that was being discussed.

You're right there's nothing wrong with being a curmudgeon. I'm one myself sometimes. I don't do anything is don't want to do at this stage of my life.

Eeh! They were just another bunch of old Baby Boomers!

Now, what we REALLY need is a young fresh face on TCM enthusiastically telling us of things they've just learned in film school while introducing the movies.

(...I of course had my tongue firmly pressed against the inside of my cheek as I typed the above)

• Like 5

I know I've posted this before so excuse me for repeating myself. When I went on the first TCM cruise, I went to the Ask TCM event and [DEAN] Stockwell's name came up. The person (I wish I could remember who it was and what her job was with TCM--I'm old) stated that they had tried to get him for an interview but he refused and the term curmudgeon was used. But he attends some of these conventions. I know he appeared at Dragon Con in Atlanta a few years back, so I'm not exactly sure why he's avoiding TCM.

I remember reading when you posted this a while back, and it always something in the back of my mind when I see Stockwell's old movies.

Anyone as (profoundly) talented as him is probably either moody or nuts in real life, so I'm not too surprised.

(it's also possible he resents the film industry for not giving him more roles and doesn't want to discuss it.)

it is a shame his only Oscar nod came for (the pretty awful movie) MARRIED TO THE MOB and his primary claim to fame is via the TV Show QUANTUM LEAP, because there is so much more to his career than either of those endeavors.

He did appear on that round table discussion show they had with child stars maybe 10 years or so ago, which is strange.

Sorry, now that I think of it, I think I'm mixing him up with Daryl Hickman.......

HEY, I LOVE MARRIED TO THE MOB!!!!!

• Like 1

i just imdb'd STOCKWELL, and it is ASTOUNDING to me that he did not do another feature film for years after he appeared in LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT, he just did TV shows, TV movies and (i'm sure) theatuh.

He really should've gotten an Oscar nomination for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY, I guess maybe there was a division over whether it should've been in the lead or supporting category (valid arguments could be made for either.)

• Like 1

Just have to chime in and say that I agree with all of the sentiments expressed in this thread about Mr. & Mrs. McKean and O'Toole.  I didn't watch any of the films last night, but I caught their intro of Long Day's Journey, and their repartee was delightful.  I actually wish TCM would do this kind of intro more often.  In many ways, it's more interesting to have two people simply discussing the movie rather than one person awkwardly addressing the camera.  I know it's not unusual to have people interviewed for special themes, as they did with John Grisham during last year's Southern Writers theme or Roger Corman last month, but I really like the idea of two (engaging) people just having a chat rather than being interviewed.

Something else that just came to me in thinking about Michael McKean, I love when actors who are mostly known for comedy share their thoughts about non-comedic works.  It gives you an idea of just how seriously these actors approach their comedy roles.

• Like 4

Just have to chime in and say that I agree with all of the sentiments expressed in this thread about Mr. & Mrs. McKean and O'Toole.  I didn't watch any of the films last night, but I caught their intro of Long Day's Journey, and their repartee was delightful.  I actually wish TCM would do this kind of intro more often.  In many ways, it's more interesting to have two people simply discussing the movie rather than one person awkwardly addressing the camera.  I know it's not unusual to have people interviewed for special themes, as they did with John Grisham during last year's Southern Writer's theme or Roger Corman last month, but I really like the idea of two (engaging) people just having a chat rather than being interviewed.

Something else that just came to me in thinking about Michael McKean, I love when actors who are mostly known for comedy share their thoughts about non-comedic works.  It gives you an idea of just how seriously these actors approach their comedy roles.

WONDERFUL POST!

PS- YOUR AVATAR ROCKS!

• Like 2

PS- YOUR AVATAR ROCKS!

Thanks Lorna!  I see that my little Miss Penmark is part of TCM's "Stage to Screen" theme this month, but unfortunately the film will be shown in the wee hours of the morning, so I don't think we'll get to hear McKean and O'Toole wax poetic about it. :(

• Like 1

He did appear on that round table discussion show they had with child stars maybe 10 years or so ago, which is strange.

Sorry, now that I think of it, I think I'm mixing him up with Daryl Hickman.......

HEY, I LOVE MARRIED TO THE MOB!!!!!

You talking about the panel discussion with Dickie Moore, Jane Withers, Margaret O'Brien and Darryl Hickman?

Yes, that was interesting. Didn't they talk about how mean Wallace Beery was and Jane hated being nasty to Shirley, and Margaret felt badly when Liz Taylor did not come to class anymore with her squirrel and Darryl said they were not appreciating his drowning scene in "Leave Her to Heaven" till a bit later.

Good show for sure!

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings