Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wallace Reid

CaveGirl

In spite of watching everything I can find on silent screen stars, Reid is one person that I have not gotten to see much of his output.

Having died at so early an age, I guess this is understandable. As I recall he made silents for Universal, Vitagraph, Paramount and others but one wonders how much of that is still available. The big later pictures are all I've seen and what I'd really like to view are his more typical pictures made in the teens.

I did see once that film made after his death from the morphine addiction, by his actress/wife, Dorothy Davenport but it was definitely very purple prosey and melodramatic.

Most of what I know about him is from reading books about silents, but seeing them is a whole different story. I look forward to TCM showing some in the future.

Any Reid fans here also?

• Like 3

CG, I consider myself a fan of Wallace Reid, despite, as you mentioned, knowing more of the legend than of the man. He had the good looks of a leading man, combined with a natural affinity for acting, one which would become the norm in later decades. The only film I am certain exists is The Affairs Of Anatol (1921), however the version available has not been restored. I imagine some of his shorts might appear, now and again, on YouTube, but I don't know which of the titles are available.

• Like 1

I know that "Hawthorne Of The U.S.A." (1919), "The Roaring Road" (1919) and "Excuse My Dust" (1920) are available as I have them in my collection.

I bought the biography on Reid several years ago. It was expensive but it was the first complete bio on him and it was well researched.

• Like 4

Wallace Reid's tragedy has intrigued me since I first read about it in, of all places, Hollywood Babylon. Hopefully, TCM can show some of his few films still available.

I remember TCM showing "The Affairs Of Anatol" but that was several years ago.

• Like 1

CG, I consider myself a fan of Wallace Reid, despite, as you mentioned, knowing more of the legend than of the man. He had the good looks of a leading man, combined with a natural affinity for acting, one which would become the norm in later decades. The only film I am certain exists is The Affairs Of Anatol (1921), however the version available has not been restored. I imagine some of his shorts might appear, now and again, on YouTube, but I don't know which of the titles are available.

Thanks, Gypsy for your remarks.

I feel in good company if you are a fan of Wallace too!

Reid was ninth-billled as Jeff, a blacksmith, in "Birth of a Nation" (1915); I've seen it on TCM before, and there are at least two prints of it on YouTube.

That's one of the few things I've seen him in, FL.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Wallace Reid's tragedy has intrigued me since I first read about it in, of all places, Hollywood Babylon. Hopefully, TCM can show some of his few films still available.

Yep, I have the same book Arturo..

But I also have many more books less salacious about silent stars which makes me curious about his films. Thanks!

Wally Reid, what a fascinating guy.  I remember reading in Gloria Swanson's autobiography that she had a great fondness for him. His name is even mentioned in Sunset Blvd, which of course Gloria is in.  Glad somebody mentioned his name on the message boards so people can be aware of some of the bygone era stars.  Also, Carmen does exist as I saw it not that long ago.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings