Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Garbo Glamour and Lamarr Allure

GarboManiac

Well, I am starting a new thread for me and my pals. Anyone wishing to join me, may. The topics are Garbo or Lamarr. I realize Hedy has had her day, but she is still a brilliant star! And, there are so many more pictures of her I wish to post.

As for Garbo, she reigns supreme here, so please, if you don't agree with her title as "The Movies' Grandest Illusion," then there are many other threads on many other stars.

I'm telling you James, I think I'm suffering from Stendahl's Syndrome when I look at all these photos. (I.e., being overcome and faint from all that beauty. Supposed to have happened to the French writer Stendahl upon viewing rooms full of art in a musuem).

Two absolutely fantastic additions! And, I agree. I have always said Barrymore and Garbo should have made at least ONE more film together. They could have been a team like Flynn/DeHavilland and Bogie/Bacall. Same goes for Boyer/Lamarr. Sometimes Hollywood just missed the mark. Both of those teams might have been big money makers, but, on the other hand, they would have cost the studios big money for their salaries.

Hi GM---I agree, it would have been simply exquisite to re-team Barrymore with GG (she seemed to favor him too, calling him a real "gentleman") and ALGIERS is one of my all-time favorite romance movies. Hedy and Boyer heat up the screen for me in a way that Jean Gabin (whom I like) and Mireille Balin did not.

P.S. GG was the perfect Mata Hari. What is you all-time favorite Garbo film?

Well, that is a tough one. I usually pick her films for her look. She is the ultimate performer, so I never worry about her performance, but sometimes they just didn't play up her beauty. So, don't quote me on this, but for her silent period, I would pick The Single Standard, and for her talkies, I would pick Romance or Inspiration. She looked fantastic in all three of those films.

I'm with you! I love her earlier movies because her look was softer and so alluring. Along with THE SINGLE STANDARD, I'd say she was equally gorgeous in A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS.

One other of her talkies where she looked lovely was CONQUEST. Surprisingly, the "empire" styles flattered her.

Archived