Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Garbo Glamour and Lamarr Allure

GarboManiac

Oh my God! Madeleine Carroll was a doll, she looks somewhat like Jean Harlow.What types did she play? was she street the whimsical type like Monroe or the wisecracking type like Harlow?

I have a question....on page (3) of this thread,who is the starlet between Elizabeth and Hedy?

Well, actually she was a drama queen. Her most famous roles are The 39 Steps directed by Hitchcock, The Prisoner of Zenda with Ronald Coleman, and Lloyds of London with Tyrone Power. She did have a terrific wit, but was mostly subdued and genteel, very refined! She was the British "grand lady" of the movies. But, now I find out she was Irish. Which is funny cause Maureen's big break came in London as well!

Yes, but you really have to see her. She is like both of them in the sense that she is a lady, even when she isn't! But, she certainly had her own style. I wish she had made more movies! Another one that people forget is The General Died At Dawn with Gary Cooper.

> Yes, but you really have to see her. She is like

> both of them in the sense that she is a lady, even

> when she isn't! But, she certainly had her own

> style. I wish she had made more movies! Another one

> that people forget is The General Died At Dawn with

> Gary Cooper.

I'm back !--- Wasn't " The General died at Dawn Directed by Lewis O" Milestone.

This next one is one of my all time favorites. This pic (above) was taken between scenes on the set of The Single Standard. She is just sitting there listening to someone talk (while she and Nils Asther get their picture taken). Gosh, she just looks incredible. I always think, what if I were walking by and looked over and saw her? I would probably walk right into a tree!

OMG!

This is a photo that just shouts "Hollywood!!!!" Two beautiful, charismatic people in a luxurious setting. They look youthful, yet mature. Their glamor just leaps out from the page. Let's see Brangelina match that!

Hey, Judith, isn't it funny how HOLLYWOOD is gone! I said something in my class about Kate and Leopold (cause a couple older students were talking about Meg Ryan), and one of my younger students looked up and asked, "Is that an OLD movie?" I almost split my sides! I said, "NO! That is a NEW movie!" And, she just stared at me. Ha! Garbo in The Single Standard is an OLD movie!

A picture of Brad and Angelina sitting together like that might be reminiscent of old Hollywood, but it would still have a trashy edge. They just don't do class like they did in the early days of cinema! And, you are right. It is the stars that make the picture. I always argue against films from the seventies and eighties cause the stars are all gone! Oh, yes, there were a few of them left around still doing films, and I would consider THOSE to be included in any period range due to the particular star (like Lillian Gish who acted until the 90's I think), which would include all of his/her particular films in an anthology. But, for the most part Hollywood was gone after the Sixties. I remember not even enjoying Audrey or Liz in Seventies and Eighties movies, well occasionally.

But, Garbo and Asther, wow! And, combine that with youth, black and white, and the greatest photographers in the world, you've got something!

Holy cow, GM, where DO you find these pictures? I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of Nils Asther before, and find him too effeminate for my tastes, but what a FAScinating picture.

Simply fascinating and as has been noted, such an embodiment of everything we here hold dear about the Hollywood of old and also a symbol of everything which Hollyweird today is not.

Thank you, GM.

dolores

Dolores,

He probably looks effeminate because he has too much makeup on. But, I've heard he was quite a stud. Rumour has it, he was pursued by Barbara Stanwyck and Anita Page.

James,

So much for the rumours that Katharine Hepburn and Marlene Dietrich started the 'women wearing pants' craze. They didn't hit Hollywood till the 30's and if this is 1929, then Garbo beat them, pants down!!

Larry

Archived