Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gene Hackman SOTM for September, any line up ideas?

CrisR

THE CONVERSATION (1974) is likely to be included. It's a Paramount title and it's scheduled to air on TCM in the overnight hours on July 7 for the Spotlight on America in the '70s. I'm guessing the programmers are planning to do something more with that film. Ditto SCARECROW (1973).

THE FRENCH CONNECTION (1971), airing at 8:00 tomorrow night, is certain to be repeated. I wouldn't be surprised to see another early '70s 20th Century Fox hit, THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972), also return to TCM.

Of course TCM will use this to trot out both BONNIE AND CLYDE (1967) and HAWAII (1966) for the umpteenth time. As mentioned already, I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER (1970), airing on Father's Day, will likely be airing once more in September.

And depending on how recent TCM decides to go with this festival, I wouldn't be surprised if any one (or all) of MISSISSIPPI BURNING (1988), UNFORGIVEN (1992) and CRIMSON TIDE (1995) are included.

• Like 2

Lilith gets shown occasionally. I think TCM is where I saw Mad Dog Coll, featuring Hackman's blink-and-you'll-miss-it debut.

I haven't seen March or Die, so I would like to see that on the schedule, but it's doubtful. Same with 1967's Banning  and First to FightThe Split has been shown in the past, and I think Downhill Racer, too.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Memorial Day weekend's A Bridge Too Far (1977) airs again that month.

Night Moves (1975), Bite The Bullet (1975) and Under Fire (1983) would also be worthwhile additions which don't appear to have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Young Frankenstein (1974) is always a possibility. His role may have been small but it was hilarious. "Wait. Where are you going? I was going to make espresso."

And I'd like to second Lawrence's shout out for March or Die (1977).

Great to see who is probably my favorite actor during the '70s-'90s is being honored.

Hope to maybe see a few "newer" and never before shown on TCM films of his such as, CLASS ACTION (1991) and RUNAWAY JURY (2003), his penultimate role in films.

• Like 1

They can't show too many Gene Hackman movies.

Fingers crossed for 'March or Die' (1977). That's at the top of my wanna see on TCM list for Gene Hackman.

Another rare goody would be 'Prime Cut' (1972) with Gene, Lee Marvin and Sissy Spacek.

And yet another would be 'The Hunting Party' (1971) with Gene, Oliver Reed and Candice Bergen.

There's a wealth of Gene Hackman films to choose from - that guy was prolific.

• Like 2

OP, would you care to share some sort of confirmation of your assertion? To me, this is just hearsay until official notice, and we may all be getting excited for nothing.

But, should there be any chance this is true, here are my guesses, in chronological order of release, of what will air:

Lilith (Columbia, 1964)

Hawaii (United Artists, 1966)

Bonnie and Clyde (Warner Bros., 1967)

Marooned (Columbia, 1969)

I Never Sang for My Father (Columbia, 1970)

The French Connection (20th Century Fox, 1971)

The Poseidon Adventure (20th Century Fox, 1972)

Scarecrow (Warner Bros., 1973)

The Conversation (Paramount, 1974)

Young Frankenstein (20th Century Fox, 1974)

A Bridge too Far (United Artists, 1977)

Reds (Paramount, 1981)

Mississippi Burning (Orion, 1988)

That's only 13 movies, but that's all Robert Redford got in January of 2015, which may be a concession to reality TCM has to make if they want to occasionally spotlight more modern actors - fewer titles when they're SOTM.

• Like 1

Another vote for "The Split" (1968)--It's one heist movie I haven't seen.

And hopes for:

"Heartbreakers" (2001)--Hackman didn't do enough comedies.  This film was wonderfully funny, and has a killer cast: Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Hackman, Anne Bancroft, etc.

"The Gypsy Moths" (1969)--Hackman is third-billed in Barnstorming story set in Kansas(?).  Good film.

• Like 1

OP, would you care to share some sort of confirmation of your assertion? To me, this is just hearsay until official notice, and we may all be getting excited for nothing.

This was announced on the TCM Backlot website earlier in the week. TCM has been holding a contest for Backlot members to decide what archival photograph of Hackman will be featured on the cover of the September 2016 issue of Now Playing magazine.

• Like 1

This was announced on the TCM Backlot website earlier in the week. TCM has been holding a contest for Backlot members to decide what archival photograph of Hackman will be featured on the cover of the September 2016 issue of Now Playing magazine.

Are these the four choices, Barton? Or are there more?

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-04%2Bat%2B8.08.5

I haven't joined the Backlot yet...

Are these the four choices, Barton? Or are there more?

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-04%2Bat%2B8.08.5

I haven't joined the Backlot yet...

I don't know about how many choices were offered or anything like that. I'm not a member of the TCM Backlot either -- at present membership is not offered to Canadians. This is information I have obtained from some American friends who are Backlot members.

• Like 2

I don't know about how many choices were offered or anything like that. I'm not a member of the TCM Backlot either -- at present membership is not offered to Canadians. This is information I have obtained from some American friends who are Backlot members.

Okay, thanks. Maybe one of our regular message board posters (the OP of this thread?) is a member who'd like to share what images are being voted on for Hackman's magazine cover in September.

There are five other Gene Hackman films that I'd actually like to see this September:

- Crimson Tide (1995), also starring Denzel Washington

- The quick and the dead (1995), also starring Sharon Stone and Leonardo DiCaprio

- The chamber (1996), also starring Chris O'Donnell and Faye Dunaway

- Class action (1991), also starring Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

and last but not least,

- Postcards from the edge (1990), starring Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine, and featuring an all-star cast - including Gene Hackman, and also a cast of fine character actors and actresses and then-upcoming stars.

• Like 3

They can't show too many Gene Hackman movies.

Fingers crossed for 'March or Die' (1977). That's at the top of my wanna see on TCM list for Gene Hackman.

Another rare goody would be 'Prime Cut' (1972) with Gene, Lee Marvin and Sissy Spacek.

And yet another would be 'The Hunting Party' (1971) with Gene, Oliver Reed and Candice Bergen.

There's a wealth of Gene Hackman films to choose from - that guy was prolific.

Can't argue with those choices, but wonder at no mention of  CISCO PIKE (1972 ) or THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE( 1972) or THE PACKAGE(1989).

His role in BONNIE and CLYDE was about as brief as the one in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, so I think flicks in which his role was more significant are better choices for  SOTM.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings