Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please bring back the weekly genre themed features!!!

Hi,

I notice that beginning in October, and continuing through December, that the following genre theme series are gone from the schedule:

"Darkness After Dawn"--film noir

"Cowboy Cinema"--Westerns

"Syncopation Station"--Musicals

While certainly all of those genres show up all the time on TCM throughout the regular schedule, it was so nice for genre fans to be able to count on a weekly fix at a certain time each week. Won't you please reconsider bringing all three of these back, and in particular, for me, the film noir showcase, "Darkness After Dawn", which is my favourite of the 3. Thank you!

Mark

They're also moving TCM Imports to Sunday nights after Silent Sunday Nights. I guess because of the TCM Underground movies they'll be showing on Friday nights. Heck, I'm still upset all these years later that they did away with Hollywood on Hollywood that used to show show-biz themed documentaries. It used to be on at 8 pm EST Saturday nights then they moved it to Friday evening at 8 pm EST and then did away with it altogether. I guess that was 6 or 7 years ago.

> Well isn't that just the icing on the cake? We got

> one film noir a week and they took that away? And

> Syncopation Station? That was one of my favorites as

> well.

I'm sure they'll still show noirs and musicals throughout the week. But I agree, I like having my Saturday and Sunday morning fixes. Wonder why they're doing away with the weekly thing?

Brad

> Hi,

> I notice that beginning in October, and continuing

> through December, that the following genre theme

> series are gone from the schedule:

> "Darkness After Dawn"--film noir

> "Cowboy Cinema"--Westerns

> "Syncopation Station"--Musicals

>

Cowboy Cinema? This is the first I've heard of that. When in the heck is that shown?

I seem to recall Cowboy Cinema being on Saturday mornings before Mr. Mankewicz and the cartoons took place on that morning which I thought were a waste of time since all of TV on Saturday morning is cartoon oriented. I have to say, I never realized those particular time slots were missing until you mentioned it. I never knew the exact times for each, but wasn't Wednesday the day (or night) for Syncopation Station)? Sneaky little devils, aren't they?

It's a neat promo, all right, but I've always been annoyed at the way it cuts Fred Astaire out of a dance number he did with Ginger Rogers ("Bouncin' the Blues," from The Barkleys of Broadway). As the promo is all about musicals and contains no shot of Astaire, I assume this was done out of fear of Astaire's litigious widow, who always charges high fees for any filmmaker to use his image (and sues if anyone uses it without her permission).

This does seem like a sad development. Can TCMProgrammer fill us in?

Perhaps TCM is just making way for movies that fit in with the themes of the next three months (i.e., Halloween, Christmas, etc.). Hopefully, the weekly genre features aren't gone for good.

Oh gosh!

Don't give them any ideas!

I'm already very disappointed about the absence of "Darkness after Dawn". If they did away with Silent Sundays to make way for more headbanger crap, it would be the last straw for me.

I think it has become blatantly obvious to all that they are targeting a very different demographic these days. And are prepared to do about *anything* to get that demographic viewing - even if it means completely changing the format of the station. This horrible headbanger-music advert they are playing now is evidence enough of that. For the first time ever, my next door neighbor said to me the other day "Good grief! What are you LISTENING to over there???" And I am a rock fan in my early 40's...so it's not like most of the time they are hearing Glen Miller or anything.

Record what you can now folks...because it's only gonna get worse from here. :(

Oh my God, not the gloom and doom sayers again! Will you people chill out. They are not abandoning noirs, musicals and silents, there's just not going to be a weekly slot for them. I have already seen at least 3 or 4 musicals on the schedule since Monday, at least one silent(Captain Salvation) and Strange Love of Marthe Ivers on earlier today could definitely be considered noir. Really, it's tiresome seeing all these posts every time there's the slightest change.

I know how exasperating it is Brad, but it can't be helped, or avoided. We are simply afraid to lose the last stronghold of movies we grew up with, I'm talking about us over-60's. Throughout my life every time I spent money on some insignificant thing, I got a lecture from Mom telling me to save my money for the future. I'm sorry I didn't listen, but her words were not coming from worry about my future so much as worry about another 'Great Depression' occurring like she and Dad lived through. We haven't had anythng quite like that in our lives, so we worry about things like TV channels. Read Peggy24 on the TCM commercial thread. She phrases it much better than I can. I understand all the arguments about why the channel has to appeal to a wider audience. Many of the posters have valid arguments. Brad, you've been on this board every night this week, as have I, where are all the discussions about pure moviemaking, actors who survived the transition from silents to talkies, and who continued into their 60's or more? Is everyone talked out? Much of this week has been about 70's and 80's movies. There is definitely a different tone to this board lately. Not necessarily the questions I asked just now, but so many people are not posting because of the trolls. Until last week, I often read these boards until 2 or 3 in the morning because the discussions were so lively. This past week I have quit by midnight at the latest. Where has everybody gone that was here in August and early September? All week the posts have been about foreign films, half the time I have no idea what they're talking about, or who.

where are all the discussions about

> pure moviemaking, actors who survived the transition

> from silents to talkies, and who continued into

> their 60's or more? Is everyone talked out? Much

> of this week has been about 70's and 80's movies.

> There is definitely a different tone to this board

> lately. Not necessarily the questions I asked just

> now, but so many people are not posting because of

> the trolls.

I think that's exactly it, a lot of decent people have left the board because they don't want to deal with these ugly trolls, posting pics of people giving the finger, among other things. I know mrsl left(hopefully temporarily) due to that. But there are still posters left like GarboManiac and Jack Burley posting in threads about classic movies and actors. GarboManiac has a good one on Maureen O'Hara for example.

Brad

Every year it seems the list drops off in fall as people get ready for the holidays ahead, go back to school and try to enjoy the last remnants of longer days before turning the clocks back.

Once people's schedules adapt to the changing season, they often return. The boards are like everything else in life. Sometimes folks have plenty of time to post and other times their real lives intervene and take precedent.

But, very often, they lurk when they can and they return when their lives get a less hectic.

The multi-personality troll did some real damage to this board and there are a number of posters who opted to take a break and return at a later date when, hopefully, the drama and angst will be sidenotes to our lively debates about films. Others got tired of the many TCM is doomed posts and took a break. Will they be back? With the troll(s) gone, perhaps. Only time will tell.

As for the weekly genre features, they may be taking a break as TCM gears up for three months of holidays.

We won't know for sure until the January calendar is posted or TCMProgrammr comes around and tells us what is going on.

Till then it's kind of like trying to read tea leaves.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

As the person who started this thread, I didn't intend it to be one of the several "TCM is doomed" ones...I just noticed the change (doing away with 3 weekly genre slots), and thought it would be nice to see if other folks feel as I do, and would like to see these return. I know TCM shows these genres all the time, throughout their schedule, as they always have, but I thought it was nice for fans of these genres to be able to count on their weekly fix at a particular time.

I don't in any way feel that "TCM is doomed". I like some of the changes, I don't like others, but hey...we're still getting days filled with great old films---silents, early 30's, you name it. My DVD hard drive can barely accommodate all the great films! Best channel on the dial, bar none!

TCM Programmer, I would love to hear your input here and see if we can get some read on this particular change, and if there is any possibility to see a return of these 3 themed slots. Thank you!

Mark

> I don't in any way feel that "TCM is doomed". I like

> some of the changes, I don't like others, but

> hey...we're still getting days filled with great old

> films---silents, early 30's, you name it. My DVD

> hard drive can barely accommodate all the great

> films! Best channel on the dial, bar none!

Well said! This is exactly what I've been trying to tell certain hard headed people.

Brad

Like Brad and Mark, I didn't mean to sound a note of doom. (In fact, it seems like most of the movies that are taking up the genre slots are older "classics" anyway.) However, like everyone else, I think it's nice to know that you can catch at least one of the following every week on TCM: film noir, western, musical, silent, foreign-language, etc. What seems especially surprising to me is that, since film noir has become so popular of late, TCM is foregoing the Dark After Dawn feature. Seems like that would have a large built-in fan-base....

To be honest, I really like weekly slots in general. Something I've always wished TCM would do is showcase a British film at a certain time each week. British cinema is technically foreign, but it's still in English, so I feel that the British movies TCM shows slip through the cracks sometimes. (Except for when they're show-casing a director, like Carol Reed tonight.)