Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hayleyperrin

Doris Day or Marilyn Monroe

I have to say that I can't decide between them because they are both so good. But I guess I have to say my absolute favorite is Doris Day because all of her film's and song's are great.....

I don't believe there is any comparison between them, Marilyn was basically a dramatic actress with a few musical numbers thrown in, she even had the dramatic part in Theres No Business Like Show Business whereas everyone else's parts were fairly lighthearted.

Doris, on the other hand was mainly musical with a few dramatic parts thrown in. Julie and The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Midnight Lace, however they always mentioned her musical ability as a retired singer, or quit to be married, etc.

You are correct in saying they were both equally good in what they did. But again, Marilyn was overtly sexy, and Doris was sexy to guys who liked the girl next door type.

My favorite is MM but I really admire and like Doris on her own merits. Doris was an underrated actress or rather, not frequently utlitized in the best manner. Much of her later career tended to be ho-hum, perhaps because of financial necessity, and too often her musical material in these years was sub-par. She could sing the standards with the best of them---YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN being one of the best showcases of both her vocal and dramatic expertise. She had marvelous comedic timing, as did MM.

I love both of them! They both were extremely sexy AND talented. They were almost like two sides of the same coin. They both also made things look extremely " easy."

Thanks for requesting a clarification, since a clarification is definitely needed.

For glamour and comedic talent, Monroe is the Ferrari, but for acting and

singing Day is - the latter's "Que Sera Sera" is an all-time classic!

Day is a favorite and always has been, so I'm glad to give her her props in

this update.

Thanks again for asking and have a good one!

Marilyn and Doris both kind of got locked into certain images. Marilyn , as my beloved partner John was saying last night, was fighting to get out. He told me she would have LOVED to play parts that Doris was playing-an independent working woman-but there was no way she'd get cast in that kind of role. There's a reason Monroe is bigger than ever almost 45 years after her death. She was and IS one of a kind. There will NEVER be another like her. You can say that about all the great stars. They've stood the test of time.

It's interesting , by the way, that Doris ended up doing "Move Over, Darling" the completed version of Marilyn's aborted " Something's Gotta Give."

Both of these super women had absolutely beautiful bodies. AND souls, too!

End of sermon!

Sheldon, great observation about Doris playing the parts that Marilyn would have liked to play. I had never thought of that, but you are absolutely right.

I think they are both great.

Sandy K

Marilyn Monroe for a mistress. Doris Day for a wife. ( Please don't get angry women..... the guy's will understand)