Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

YES!! Ben Blue it is!

Bill, you are some researcher. I was hoping to fool some of you into thinking the mystery guest was someone who appeared with Shirley Temple at the top of her game, i.e., when she was a child. But YOU were able to discern that no, it was the ADULT Shirley... and Ben Blue was on her TV show!

BTW: It's true that Ben Blue took a hiatus from film making after 1948. He was lured back to films for the blockbuster comedy "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in 1963.

Dan N.

http://dan-navarros-blog.blogspot.com

Do you know me?

I have enjoyed a long film career, with over 150 movies to my credit and almost as many TV shows. I began as a child actor, then as I matured I became a stunt man and became as well known for my physical abilities as for my acting.

One of my movies was made for under $100,000 -- and grossed more than $13 million!

I am a war veteran, and was an amateur boxing champion.

Who am I?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Message was edited by:

daneldorado

No. Buster Keaton was not in movies as a child, as I was. He did pull army duty in WW I, but I don't find where he was ever listed as an amateur boxing champion.

Remember I told you that one of my movies was made for less than $100,000, and grossed more than $13 million? Well, that film took only 13 days to shoot... so it took in a million dollars for every day we worked on it!

Who am I?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfimguide.com

I have enjoyed a long film career, with over 150 movies to my credit and almost as many TV shows...a child actor... a stunt man... as well known for my physical abilities as for my acting.

One of my movies was made for under $100,000 -- and grossed more than $13 million! I am a war veteran... an amateur boxing champion.

Larry Duran (who?? - Sorry!)

>>http://www.imdb.com/Bio?Duran,+Larry<<

Bartlett wrote:

"Are you Forrest Tucker?"

Nope. Sorry. Forrest Tucker began his film career in the Gary Cooper vehicle THE WESTERNER (1940), at which time he was at least twenty years old. But my career began earlier, when I was eight years old.

Here's another hint: I am listed in the Guinness Book of World Records. Of course, I can't tell you the category, for that would give the game away.

To sum up: I have enjoyed a long film career, with more than 150 movies to my credit, and almost that many TV appearances. I was in the movies as a child. I became a stunt man, but still continued to work in credited roles. I am a war veteran (U.S. Air Force), and was an amateur boxing champion.

Do you know me?

Dan N.

Bill McCrary, you are the king of the Forum! YESS!! Our mystery guest is, indeed, William Smith... the man with the common name and a long list of UNcommon accomplishments!!

Thanks for posting the URL for Smith's IMDb bio. That saves me from having to explain, in this space, all the amazing things this renaissance man has done.

Hmmm... You guessed Ben Blue, when I thought nobody would. Now you've guessed William Smith. You have a real gift for this, you know?

Okay, Bill... Your turn at bat. But now that I see how good you are at this, next time it's my turn I won't be lobbing softballs any more.

Cheers,

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Okay, Bill... Your turn at bat.

One day (soon?) I'll come up with a "doozie," but so far I'm better at finding than making them. Anyone else feel free to make up a new one......

By the way - just in case it's news - "doozie" comes (apparently) from the auto "Duesenberg" (or is it just "Dusenberg") back in the '20s/'30s - which was certainly a "Wow!" car, really special, hence "doozie." One place I got that was from the son of a fellow who had run a dealership.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm getting restless. Here's a quickie:

I was on the stage for 20 years before I made a movie. I usually played someone's mother or aunt. My peers honored me, and I have a star on the Walk of Fame in Hollywood. I was buried in a military cemetary.

Who am I?

Here's one that MIGHT tickle your fancies... or maybe not.

I'm considered tall for a female. In London, I studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts.

I was born into a show business family. In fact, my first film was directed by my father.

In one of my costarring roles, I spent more time in front of the camera naked than clothed.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Bill, I love the way your mind works! You come up with an answer that almost fits, right off the bat! You really know your movies.

However... Yes, the 5 ft. 10 in. Anjelica Huston is "considered tall" for a woman. Yes, she was directed by her own father (John Huston) in her first film.

But: I am looking for, but not finding, any info that Anjelica ever studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Nor am I aware that she appeared au naturel for the majority of any of her films.

So no, Anjelica Huston is not the subject of the question. Unless you can show me that she has those two bases covered.

On another matter:

Since I posted this question, it has occurred to me that it may be out of line. This is the Turner Classic Movies board, after all. And I'm pretty sure that -- as things stand right now -- TCM would never screen the film I am thinking about, where the actress is nude for most of her screen time.

So, if any of you think I should drop this question, say the word and it's dropped.

Dan N.

Back to looking - IMDB let me down that time. I did a search for "Royal Academy" and her name was among the females - BUT, when I went back and read closely it appears to have gotten there through a mention of the Academy Awards. Ouch! Everybody else I checked really belonged to the RADA. And she did model, a lot, so the nude thing seemed a possible. Oh, well. On with the search!

Anjelica Huston was my first thought too.

My second thought is: Vanessa Redgrave?

jdb1 wrote:

"My second thought is: Vanessa Redgrave?"

Hmmm.... This is getting interesting. Two of our best players, Bill and now Judith, have given possible good answers, but neither is correct.

If Vanessa Redgrave ever gave a performance where she was nude for most of it, I am not aware of that. Anyway, she was not directed by her father in her first film, so.... no.

Dan N.

A little clue, please? Is this person a classic or contemporary actress?

Now that I think of it, Redgrave was topless in at least three films I can think of: "Blowup," "Isadora" and, I think, "Morgan." But I don't know if she ever bared it all for us in the name of Cinema.

Yeah... there's a website ... Anjelica's name isn't there, but our mystery guest's is.

I read almost all the female actors' (whatever happened to "actress"?) entries and didn't see any who seemed to have fathers who would have directed them - certainly no mention of a father directing a first film. Or maybe there were more names that the link just didn't go to.... Certainly seemed like a very small number to have gone through the RADA.

Dan, is it Geraldine Chaplin?

I think she attended the Royal Ballet Academy, but I don't know about RADA. I never saw "Welcome to L.A." but she was nude in that one, wasn't she?

Her first film was her father's "Limelight," when she was a child.

????