Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

It is now June 9, and this question has been up for ONE WEEK.

No one has answered correctly, so I am pulling the plug.

I am Maggie Gyllenhaal.

If you care to do so, you can check the original question and the added clues, to satisfy yourselves that all of them fit Maggie, and ONLY Maggie.

Whoever wants it, can take this thread.

Cheers,

Dan

Short one:

I appeared in only a few films, spending most of my career on the stage. Still, I am very well known to classic film fans because of two roles, one of which earned me an Oscar. Who am I?

Edited by: finance on Jun 10, 2010 10:50 AM

I hate to post this ahead of finance?s confirmation of my (correct?) answer (but I?m 90% sure I?m right) and I had one ready and it was made for today?s use, or would be more appropriate now than later:

So finance, please excuse me.

?Whenever the subject of old Hollywood is discussed and the stories of all the stars discovered and made overnight , my name will invariably be brought up. I have worked hard all my life, having started out in the entertainment business very young, My name was changed, but I tried to never change myself in the process. When asked which film I made was my favorite, I always say one in particular because I felt the most beautiful in my life at that time. I would eventually marry my director of that film. In fact, I would marry several times. I have always said that I would rather have the love of one man over the applause of the crowd. But I have always wanted to be more than just a voice. It?s been said I?m at my best really up, or sad. I know I give my all in all I do. And, I never quite got over the disappointment of losing the Oscar. But, that night I gave birth to my son, who would bring me much happiness, as do my daughters. I have always felt most alive when I?m singing and it?s been said by those who?ve been at my concerts that they?re not likely to ever forget the experience.?

?Do you know me??

Yes, It is Judy Garland. Most of what I wrote were taken from quotes she actually said in interviews that I wanted to share or were actual facts about Judy herself. Her favorite film was ?Meet Me in St. Louis,? which at first she didn?t want to make because she was tired of playing characters younger than her. And, of course, it was ?Esther Blodgett? who said she felt most alive when performing.

Your turn, dan.

Thanks, allabout...

Speaking of birthdays, I've got one coming up. Do you know me?

I'm an American actress, still working in films and TV. I have been in several theatrical films, but most of my work has been in television.

In my most successful TV series, I played a character with the same name as one I played in an earlier series.

I played a cult member in one movie, and a different cult member in another movie.

And as I said up above: I have a birthday coming up.

Do you know me?

Cheers,

Dan

No replies yet? Okay, let's see if we can put some researchers to work,

I recently worked in one of television's major hit series. In it, I played a character with the same name as a character I played in an earlier series.

Here is the original question:

I'm an American actress, still working in films and TV. I have been in several theatrical films, but most of my work has been in television.

In my most successful TV series, I played a character with the same name as one I played in an earlier series.

I played a cult member in one movie, and a different cult member in another movie.

I have a birthday coming up.

Do you know me?

Cheers,

Dan

When you say:

In my most successful TV series, I played a character with the same name as one I played in an earlier series,

do you mean she played the same character in both shows?

Joan Van Ark was Valene Ewing on both Dallas and Knots Landing and her birthday is next week.

Is that correct?

No, not Joan Van Ark. But I'm gratified that you are getting into the spirit of the game.

It's true that Ms. Van Ark played in two (2) different series in which her characters had the same name. They were not, however, separate characters. Val Ewing (Van Ark's character name) was the same person in both shows.

Still, I would concede that you had answered correctly if that were the ONLY clue to my identity.

The other clue I gave was that I played a cult member in one movie, and a different cult member in another movie. Ms. Van Ark never played that type of role, so she isn't me.

Here is an additional clue:

I've said I played a cult member in two different films. But what I didn't tell you before is that one of the cult members I portrayed was a real-life person.

Name her, and you pretty much know who I am.

Remember, I have a birthday coming up.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

No more replies? Here is another new clue.

In one of my TV series, made when I was in my 20s, I play a girl who gets into a fight with a bear the night before her wedding. She ends up with a black eye, but she would have won some money if she could have lasted three minutes.

Who is that girl, and who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Bumping this:

No replies yet? Okay, let's see if we can put some researchers to work,

I recently worked in one of television's major hit series. In it, I played a character with the same name as a character I played in an earlier series.

Do you know me?

Cheers,

Dan

Bumpety bump.

Do you know me?

Cheers,

Dan

Okay, it's been one week. Not only have there been no CORRECT guesses to this question, there have been NO GUESSES, period! I'm pulling the plug.

Maybe everyone is on a prolonged spring break, or something.

The board is open, for anyone foolish enough to try and post a question that someone will answer.

Dan

OK, I'll try to get some response.

I started in films with a notable lack of success. I was also a club comedian with only modest success, although I was known as a great "table comedian". To the surprise of all but a few of the people who had heard many of my "table" routines, I eventually became a superstar in another area of show business. Who am I?

Edited by: finance on Jun 18, 2010 10:54 AM

Edited by: finance on Jun 18, 2010 3:35 PM

I was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1909. While in Britain, I played on the stage and also had minor film roles. I then went to America in the forties, bought a comedian's home and promptly found his "lost tapes". I was also considered for the role of James Bond and even a Bond villain once, but that didn't pan out. I did help a great Australian actor get his first major role. Otherwise, in my movies, you will find me either the star or the villain....Who am I ?