Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Mildred Natwick it is...The two actors were Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart..The director was Joshua Logan when he was doing Broadway....the future Oscar winner was Shirley MacLaine in her first film, Hitchcock's "The Trouble With Harry", and the dialogue gag of course is "The Pellet With The Poison" interplay with Danny kaye in "The Court Jester"....Your thread, Lana.

?In each family, at least I hope, there is that one person you look up to, that special person who possesses a kind heart and is so genuinely themselves and one that helps you to learn lessons of selflessness and giving. Well, in my 10 minutes (or less) for Mr. Hitchcock, I was not that person, despite the fact I played a mother. Born near Scranton, Pennsylvania, in a small mining town, I became a respected stage actress for over fifty years on Broadway and in London, when I signed to be on a tv show in the 1960s. Due to my huge popularity and my character?s disposition, I was nominated for an Emmy. I died several days before the Emmys broadcast. My role was not recast, and when it was announced that I won, my close friend, the star of the show, made a very moving acceptance speech on my behalf. It was lovely, and I only hope I brought as much joy to others as I received on that show and in my life.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 1, 2010 2:41 PM

Yes. You are: Marion Lorne.

You were born in West Pittston, Pennsylvania (near Scranton). You appeared as a supporting actress in the TV show "Bewitched" starring Elizabeth Montgomery. After you died in May 1968, you were awarded an Emmy for your role, and it was accepted in your honor by Ms. Montgomery.

You had previously worked for Hitchcock in his 1951 film "Strangers on a Train."

Cheers,

Dan

In the second of her only three appearances in film, Marion Lorne?s character?s name was ?Aunt Clara.? She would later be ? Samantha Stevens?? ?Aunt Clara? on ?Bewitched.? They incorporated Ms. Lorne?s habit of collecting doorknobs into the show. After Alice Pearce as ?Gladys Kravitz,? Ms. Lorne was the second star of the show to receive an Emmy posthumously. They didn?t recast the role of ?Aunt Clara? in respect to Miss Lorne. Her role of Robert Walker?s mother in ?Stranger on a Train? was small yet memorable. Another interesting bit: Kasey Rogers, another future star of ?Bewitched? was in ?Train,? as the doomed victim and wife of Farley Granger.

Your turn, dan, and good work!

Okay, here goes.

I posted this question earlier this year, and got NO RESPONSES. After one week of no action, I pulled the plug on the question and ended it.

But, now that I've got the "Do You Know Me?" thread back, guess I'll try this question again.

Do You Know Me?

I'm an American actress, born in the Midwest U.S.A.,

I have starred as the leading lady in one of television's most successful hit series.

In TV, I have twice played a character with the same name, though they are not the same character.

In films, I played a cult member in one movie, and a different cult member in another movie.

One of the two cult members I played was a real-life person.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Give it a shot, fi. From what I've seen on these boards, you are the ne plus ultra expert in our little games here.

WHO ELSE can come up with queries about John Philip Law (who he?) and Elinor Donahue. WHO ELSE knows what movies used the obscure song "Mam'selle?" Nobody, that's who.

So, I ask you. Is my question SO TOUGH, that even the master quizsmith of these boards cannot even attempt an intelligent guess?

Surely you jest.

Okay, here 'tis, again:

Do You Know Me?

I'm an American actress, born in the Midwest U.S.A.,

I starred as the leading lady in one of television's most successful hit series.

In TV series, I have twice played a character with the same name, though they are not the same character.

In films, I played a cult member in one movie, and a different cult member in another movie.

One of the two cult members I played was a real-life person.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, just so you know I gave it a shot- I don't have a lot of time to be on the bds. Dana Delaney came to mind. She was in 2 cult themed films- *Patty Hearst* (real life person) and *Wild Palms*.She was the lead in China Syndrome and one of the leads in Desperate Housewives and the lead in Pasadena. She was not born in the mid-west, and I don't know about the same character names-so, I know it's not who you are looking for. I can't do research, too much going on here-but just so you know I tried.

Don?t forget I did guess Joan Van Ark the first go-round, even though I was pretty sure it wasn?t right. And, also - I remember at the time of your first post, you said this actress had a birthday coming up. So I tried research just tonight, on those born in June who starred in major tv shows in the last 20 or 30 years or even more recently. These are most of the ones I researched and dismissed: Meredith Baxter, Lindsay Wagner, Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Helen Hunt, Carol Kane, Phylicia Rashad, Mariette Hartley, and Michelle Lee. These guesses were based on the fact that while you said they may have made films, they were primarily tv actresses. But, none of them fit in with the same name clue or born in Midwest clue.

Also, I realize the cult clues and references may not apply to those actresses listed (as I know practically nothing about cults or such movies that concern them), and also those listed may seem totally off the wall and nowhere near where I should be looking. I just wanted you to know that I have spent some time on this. I didn?t really want to inherit the thread again as the holiday is coming up, but who likes something getting the better of them. I don?t want to admit how much time I spent on this. Like lavenderblue says, it?s time consuming.

In conclusion, for some feedback, has this actress? birthday come and gone, or is it in July?

Are you MARY LYNN RAJSKUB from Detroit, whose birthday is June 22, and who played Squeaky Fromme in "Helter Skelter" (TV) and Zelmina, a fictional cult member in "Dude, Where's My Car?"....And who also plays Chloe in "24" with Kiefer Sutherland and also Chloe in "Veronica's Closet" ???

mudski wrote:

Are you MARY LYNN RAJSKUB from Detroit, whose birthday is June 22...?

Yes, I am! Good work, mudski. Now, was that so hard? Oh, and thank you for FINALLY getting back to me on the "Sombrero" movie. It seems ages since I posted that answer.

Cheers,

Dan

finance wrote:

I am the "ne plus ultra"? Well, I have never heard of Mary Lynn Rajskub, so clearly, somebody else is the "ne plus ultra".

It's okay if you've never heard of some of the names that crop up on these boards. Actually, I think working these trivia questions about our great love, the cinema, is one of the best ways to get to know the subject. Mary Lynn Rajskub is not, by any definition, a big star; but she has worked steadily in TV and the movies, and she is a solid performer. She should be better known, but anyway she always gives a solid performance.

Your comment saddened me, a little, though you are not at fault. It seems that a few months ago I posted a movie trivia question at ANOTHER SITE (not this one), and when no one could answer it, I revealed the answer: Thomas Sangster. Do you know, I received an angry reply from the moderator of that site -- who happens to be a woman -- and she snipped, "I never heard of Thomas Sangster. Your quiz question is invalid." Of course I gave her a piece of my mind, and terminated my association with her website.

Here, at TCM Support Forums, the folks are both more friendly and much, much more film-savvy. I enjoy matching wits with all of you, and I cannot help but feel that the research all of us must do, in order to come up with answers, benefits all of us.

And lavenderblue wrote:

This thread is not the place for nasty comments about posters. Please go back to posting questions about stars that are known, at least to some posters It's a good thread and is going downhill.

Downhill, you say? On the contrary, I think this thread and all the trivia threads are on the ascendant. As I just said to finance: Researching the questions here leads to all of us learning more and more about our first love, the classic cinema. When you say we should "go back to posting questions about *stars that are known*," my first question is: Known to whom?

If you are unable or unwilling to enjoy a forum which considers ALL persons who have contributed to film (and TV) history, then this is the not the place for you. Of course, I would never post a question about a baggage handler or a "first boy" whose names appear far down on the credits list of such and such a film... but Mary Lynn Rajskub is perfectly well-known within the movie community. And if you never heard her name before, then shame on you.

Of course, if you (lav blue) did not mean to aim your spear at me or at Ms. Rajskub, then these comments should not apply to you. But the rest of you should know, this forum works best when we are learning more about our first love, the cinema.

Cheers,

Dan

Yes Dan, *Helter Skelter and &Dude Where's My Car* are certainly films that classic film lovers know and admire. Get off your high horse. I've received 4 pm's today complaining about you and your posts. You might consider a change in your attitude, when ever you don't like a posters response to you, or it's not the answer you are looking for you response is nasty.Consider changing your attitude- maybe the hiatus you took from this site this year should continue. Or go back to the film site that asked you to leave.

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Jul 2, 2010 10:05 PM

lavender wrote:

Yes Dan, Helter Skelter and &Dude Where's My Car are certainly films that classic film lovers know and admire. Get off your high horse. I've received 4 pm's today complaining about you and your posts. You might consider a change in your attitude....

I seriously doubt that you have received four (4) pm's complaining about me. And if you disdain films such as "Helter Skelter" and "Dude, Where's my Car" as unworthy to be mentioned here, maybe it is you that should be considering a change in your attitude.

As I said before: The research that we all do when trying to answer these trivia questions is beneficial to us as movie fans. It's a real shame that you, lavender, cannot see the truth of that.

Cheers,

Dan

I most certainly did receive those pm's. I only answered your post because no one else did and I felt sorry for you. If I had bothered to do the research I would have been sorely disappointed in the answer. Go watch your "classic"- *Dude Where's My Car* and stop being so nasty.

Hey, I think it's my turn to post....Here's one:

I was born in Philadelphia of Italian heritage..(aren't we all?) and was a hearthrob during the fifties, appearing in several movies. I had a brief career as a singer in the sixties. I was also in a blockbuster movie about World war II. Then, for some reason, film offers dried up, so I went to television and appeared in two series...I've been married for about 50 years now-- to a lady who was originally from Europe. And, by the way, my son is a broadcaster....Do you know who I am ??...

You are James Darren.

Born in Philadelphia, PA in 1936; you've been married to the same lady, Evy Norlund, for 50 years; she is from Denmark.

Your blockbuster movie about WW II is "The Guns of Navarone" (1961).

Cheers,

Dan

That's right..Ok, Dan, it's your post...I really don't mind if the person you refer to is obscure as long as you give great clues....Just like I do with my Mildred Natwick, Poinciana with her Elinor Donahue, Lana with her Marion Lorne, Cujas with her cinematographers, and Miles with his obscure songs....And you're right, whether a person is obscure or not is relative to who you ask---and that's how we learn...(Reminds me of Auntie Mame..ha! ha!..)...Good luck !

With your kind permission, I'd like to (temporarily) change this topic from "Do You Know Me?" to: "Do You Know Us?"

We are two well-known actors... one is male, the other female.

We were both born in Europe.

One of us is considered an actor of sophistication and skill, particularly when appearing in costume dramas. The other is noted for parts in low-brow productions. But both of us are successful in our respective careers.

One of us is a multiple award-winning actor, and the other has never won a major acting award. But both are very successful actors.

Now then: One fateful day, filmdom decided to pair us as romantic partners in the same movie. The critics howled. How can this be? One actor is noted for MOR entertainment vehicles, the other is noted for appearing in classic dramas.

Who are we, and what was the film in which we play a couple?

Cheers,

Dan