Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Bump!

With your kind permission, I'd like to (temporarily) change this topic from "Do You Know Me?" to: "Do You Know Us?"

We are two well-known actors... one is male, the other female.

We were both born in Europe.

One of us is considered an actor of sophistication and skill, particularly when appearing in costume dramas. The other is noted for parts in low-brow productions. But both of us are successful in our respective careers.

One of us is a multiple award-winning actor, and the other has never won a major acting award. But we are both very successful actors.

Now then: One fateful day, filmdom decided to pair us as romantic partners in the same movie. The critics howled. How can this be? One actor is noted for "middle of the road" entertainment vehicles, the other is noted for appearing in classic dramas.

Who are we, and what was the film in which we play a couple?

Cheers,

Dan

Four days later, still no replies.

Well, okay, you twisted my arm. The film in question was made in the 1990s.

Here is the question again:

With your kind permission, I'd like to (temporarily) change this topic from "Do You Know Me?" to: "Do You Know Us?"

We are two well-known actors... one is male, the other female.

We were both born in Europe.

One of us is considered an actor of sophistication and skill, particularly when appearing in costume dramas. The other is noted for parts in low-brow productions. But both of us are successful in our respective careers.

One of us is a multiple award-winning actor, and the other has never won a major acting award. But we are both very successful actors.

Now then: One fateful day, filmdom decided to pair us as romantic partners in the same movie. The critics howled. How can this be? One actor is noted for "middle of the road" entertainment vehicles, the other is noted for appearing in classic dramas.

Who are we, and what was the film in which we play a couple?

Cheers,

Dan

It's been a few days so I'll throw one out here--if it's ok?

I only appeared in one musical but I've had a tremendous influence on the movie musical. I trained several singers who are among the top people in 20th Century Am Pop Music. I also am a famous author.

Who Am I? Of course, you can also name my 3 big proteges.

Edited by: cujas on Jul 13, 2010 4:22 PM

Ok Finance--name the 3 singers please!

Any and all comers can you give us the names of Kay Thompson's 3 top singing proteges---Famous, legends all.

Edited by: cujas on Jul 13, 2010 4:55 PM

Edited by: cujas on Jul 13, 2010 5:33 PM

Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra and Lena Horne to name the top three...there were many more?I posted a blog about her in May?The Williams Brothers (Andy was a brother) backed up her groundbreaking nightclub show in the ?40s and ?50s?

Edited by: theladyeve on Jul 13, 2010 5:18 PM

Eve, I bet you're a Renaissance woman just like Kay was.

My favorite singer is Andy Williams and I put him in the 3rd position because Kay was training him and had him singing backup for the MGM musicals when he was a teenager. And even after the "The" Nightclub act she guided his career for many years.

In the words of one of Andy's early hits, Eve, "If I say I love you, "Do You Mind"?

Eve, its all yours!

Edited by: cujas on Jul 14, 2010 4:48 PM

Ok, Eve, if you're sure you don't want it-----

I lived on various military bases in my youth, dropped out of a prestige college, and made my acting debut in the '20s with a NYC company, with my Broadway debut the same year. After success on stage, I signed my first movie contract in the late twenties and quickly became a star, playing refined, gentle women. My career eventually suffered from typecasting, in a series of tearjerkers about a noble lady sacrificing all. I retired from the screen in the late '30s but returned in the early '40s and played dignified ladies until the mid-'50s.

Edited by: finance on Jul 15, 2010 11:37 AM

Thanks.

?I was born in Kent, England, the daughter of a clergyman in the year of 1913, with Sybil Thorndike my godmother and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as my godfather. Interestingly enough, it was through my father?s influence and encouragement that I studied to be an actress and appeared at London's Royal Albert Hall. I started out in the British movies in bit parts and supporting roles in 1932 and by 1934 I had married an up and coming director, who would be very respected and well known in his own career. We went to America where we found many opportunities. In my long career, I had a great regard for another dedicated and professional director who provided me with some of my meatiest roles, including one of my last really big movies in the 1960s. I went into television productions and shows in the 50s and 60s as my movie career slowed down. I have gone blonde and brunette in my roles, sometimes because the leading lady wouldn?t share her hair color. In one horror movie, I wore one of the dresses Miss Leigh had worn as Scarlett. Hitch gave me away to my second husband, for whom I was married to for 20 years. We divorced, and in 1970 I married a famous novelist and playwright. I was awarded M.B.E. by Her Majesty in 1982. Today?s generation may know me from playing a matriarch to a wealthy family on daytime television, where I provided the reason and heart to my husband?s ruthlessness. Also, I happened to be in a family movie favorite, where I made a slight transgression, even though I shouldn?t have. But, I think I am forgiven. God has been good to me and has been blessed me with five children and a strong will to live. I had been in a car accident, which left me in a wheelchair in the last twenty + years of my life, but still I acted and pressed on. We English are strong people. It takes a lot to keep us down. I went out fighting, a week before I was to have been given a lifetime achievement award.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 15, 2010 3:20 PM

Yes, she was. A favorite of mine, having loved her for years as Lila Quartermaine on GH, and then of course discovered her movies later on. Her first husband was director Robert Stevenson, who directed Mary Poppins, etc. Her third husband was Robert Nathan who wrote the novels Portrait of Jennie and The Bishop?s Wife, among others. Miss Lee was to have been given a lifetime achievement award from the Daytime Emmys, but she died a week before. Her son actor Jeffrey Bryon accepted on her behalf.

Your turn.

Thanks.

You could say I can do it all, and have. I sing, dance and play the violin for relaxation.I have been on the stage,have starred in mega hit films and have been on a successful tv show. I'm equally comfortable with comedy and drama.I've had mega Hollywood legends as friends.My career has had it's ups and downs but I always land on my feet. Who am I?

Sorry, not Tony- but a great guess since he's an all around guy also.

I received an Oscar nomination for a role I played in a cult favorite. I'm younger than Tony.Since this is not the pre-70 thread, think about more contemporary actors.

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Jul 15, 2010 6:24 PM