Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I guess you knew John Travolta plays the violin for relaxation.At least everyone knows who he is. It's fun learning new facts about stars that we know.He's also an accomplished pilot(hence the land on his feet) clue. James Cagney, Barbara Stanwyck and Cary Grant were among his legend friends. I think he's a class act and will certainly be considered "classic" years from now. *Saturday Night Fever* , *Grease* , *Pulp Fiction* will always be favorites for the 70-90's time period. Good work and thanks to cujas and Poinciana and of course you muds for playing this round. Your thread.

Thanks...

I excelled in comedies, although I usually don't have the starring roles. My grandfather, who has the same first and middle name as I do, is a famous author of a classic novel...I started in the theater in the 1910s, managed a movie theater in the 1920s, was an established character actor by the '30s and '40s...and, oh dear, even played a television Indian in the '60s....Who am I ??

I've got an air of authority about me which led to many movie roles calling for that particular kind of a character. I've done stage and tv and was married to a popular and beloved tv star.

I'm a Princeton graduate and ended my days in diplomatic service at the US Embassy in Mexico City. Who am I?

I'm not Johnny or Jose.

I played a pivotal, albeit small, role in an Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece. I also was fortunate to have co-starred with a beautiful British actress in a classic WWII film.

I was happy to guest star and to play a big shot in one episode of my wife's sitcom. I think I played my part well, since it was no small task being up to snuff funny along with the rest of the cast on that series.

Yes I am Dear Lady Eve.

Philip wasn't anything so grand as an Ambassador. I read that he worked for the US Consular Service in Mexico. What that job entailed I know not. Interesting fellow.

You're up Eve, and congrats.

I hope it isn?t immodest to start out by saying I have mellifluous voice?

I began in the silent era and made dozens and dozens of films over several decades. I also worked on the stage and won a Tony for a dramatic role in a famous play. TV also played a part in my career and I had recurring roles on a variety of series. One of my best film roles in an Oscar-winning film made toward the end of my career.

I was involved in humanitarian efforts and held a high position with a major U.S. charity. I have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Who am I?

Thanks, Eve.

I was the daughter of a studio executive and a silent screen star, and appeared as a young child in a few silent films. I re-entered films in the sound era in musicals, but made my mark as a dramatic actress in 2 films under Howard Hughes. I spent most of the '30s with Warners, where I played leads in dramas and musicals. I was, though, not satisfied with my roles and fought with studio management. I went to Britain with my first husband during WW II and drove an ambulance there, also appearing in 3 British films. After the war, I freelanced in a few Hollywood films, and retired in the early '50s.

Edited by: finance on Jul 21, 2010 10:47 AM

Edited by: finance on Jul 21, 2010 3:25 PM

He was a tall, distinguished, imposing-looking man, which fit perfectly with the variety of roles he played so well ...he started a theatrical career as a youth, and toured New England with a theater troupe and eventually journeyed to Britain, where he spent several years on the stage. He formed his own theater company and successfully toured South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. By the time he entered films he was an established and successful stage actor, in both the U.S. and Europe. He started out in silent films, but his rich baritone voice enabled him to easily transition into talkies. He appeared in more than 200 films, though he had kept busy in television, with appearances on many different series in addition to his co-starring role on a tv series". He died of a heart attack in 1958.

I was born at the New Jersey seashore around the turn of the century. I drifted from job to job and was a wrestler before becoming a singer with an opera company. I made it to Broadway in the late '20s, and in the early '30s began a career in films as a two-fisted leading man. I was a burly, dashing, 6'2", 200 pounder, playing rugged heroes and occasional villains in some 100 films.

Hint: The first name of this actor was the same as the last name of another actor who won a Tony for the lead in a Broadway musical blockbuster and who played the same role in the film.

Edited by: finance on Jul 25, 2010 2:04 PM

Edited by: finance on Jul 25, 2010 3:43 PM