Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I'm a real Texan who came from Beaumont. I first appeared in several war films, one of which provided me with my screen name. I then worked with Sam Peckinpah and worked in a lot of westerns. I even directed a movie about a boy and a dog... I was never a star but you'll recognize my face, although the majority of you may not know my name. Who am I ?

Thanks.

?Born in NYC, you might say I had two careers as an actress. I went by my real name (or a portion of it anyway) from 1922 to 1934. Under this name and as a child actor, I was mainly in ?B? pictures, short dramas and a pre-code film, where I had a bit part. Then I took the name of a character I played in 1934 and made it my own. But it?s with an ?e?; any name with an ?e? at the end is better. I was married to a much sought after actor for six years, but divorced him. I remained active and in demand until 1944, when I appeared in a film noir classic. Then I retired from movies altogether soon after and settled down with husband #2. Despite the fact that today?s generation doesn?t know me, I proved myself quite the actress and was respected by my costars, and I was Oscar-nominated for a melodramatic weeper.?

?Do *you* know me??

I was the son of an art dealer who came to NY at 19, and made my stage debut in the early '40s. Following WW II service, I performed on radio and early TV. I began appearing in movies in the mid to late '50s, but it was on TV that I really shined, winning an Emmy for one of my series. I was also a frequent talk show and game show guest. Late in my career I created and headed a national repertory company.

Edited by: finance on Aug 18, 2010 10:50 AM

Let Me Introduce Myself--

I'm an accomplished, classically-trained pianist.

I worked in Hollywood on musicals. Oh, I didn't sing or dance in them; I worked behind the scenes.

Although I never appeared in a musical, I may have been one of the most important technical women behind the scenes.

Mais bien sur, Je parle en francais.

Who Am I?

Mais oui--This woman worked on a great musical filmed in France--but the musical was strictly a Hollywood production. Her ability to speak French with the local trade unions, service workers and the govt. officials greatly aided in the production of this movie classic.

Cu, Congrats to you my friend for coming up with Lela! I love puzzles of any kind and with the added bonus of serious detective work, I had a ball finding her. Merci boucoup for the kind praise, you made my day.

Will be back later to the Thread...

I came by my artistic talent naturally since my father was a noted designer and my stepmother a theatrical costumer. After my retirement from acting I designed greeting cards for Gaspari and others.

I was different, blonde and attractive but definitely not of the movie star mold. However, I was unique and had some plum roles on the screen and especially on Broadway. Most people, if you mention my name, will always light up and say OH I loved her on.....a long running tv show.

Who am I?

I was a light leading man and supporting player in films, with a distinctive facial feature, boundless energy, and a knack for the double-take. I was in vaudeville as a child with a family act, and was in a number of Mack Sennett two-reelers before my feature film debut at the end of the silent era. I was also later on TV.

Edited by: finance on Aug 27, 2010 10:41 AM