Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

"Could it be Nastassja Kinski, daughter of Klaus Kinski?"

Nastassja Kinski provided copious amounts of nudity in CAT PEOPLE (1982), but I hesitate to say that those scenes added up to the majority of her screen time. Anyway, though she is certainly Klaus Kinski's daughter, I don't see that he directed her first film.

BTW: Nastassja's name doesn't come up here very often, but... I still think she is the very best thing about Francis Coppola's musical, ONE FROM THE HEART (1982). The film itself didn't do great business, but Nastassja's brilliant turn as a tightrope walker in love won my heart.

Dan N.

http://dan-navarros-blog.blogspot.com

"Dan, is it Geraldine Chaplin?"

Geraldine Chaplin -- who is one of the first actresses that pop to mind when I hear the word "luminous" -- was certainly directed by her father in her first film, LIMELIGHT (1952). But I don't find mention of her attending the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts.

As for the nudity, I don't know if she ever posed that way. The IMDb mentions that her head was superimposed over the picture of a Penthouse Pet for WELCOME TO L.A. (1976)... but that falls far short, in my opinion, of performing in the nude.

Our mystery guest has one film on her resume, where MOST of her screen time finds her au naturel.

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

"A shot in the dark --- Joely Richardson?"

No, not Joely Richardson. She's 5 ft. 9 in. tall, she was directed by her father Tony Richardson in her first film... but I find no record of her ever studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.

Did Joely ever perform in the altogether? Don't know.

Dan N.

Hi there, Charlie T... Haven't heard from you in about three (3) weeks. Glad to see you are still with us.

You are right, it's Maggie Gyllenhaal.

The lady is 5 ft. 9 in., while the average American female is 5 ft. 4. She was directed in her first film, as you say, by her father Stephen Gyllenhaal; and in fact, her first SIX movies were directed by her dad!

The IMDb says that Maggie "studied briefly at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London." Her name is included in the list of famous alumni of RADA.

In the 2004 film STRIP SEARCH -- which was evidently "pulled" because of government security concerns -- Maggie spends most of her screen time standing naked in front of a Chinese interrogator. The flip side of the story is that an Arab male is also made to stand naked in front of a female interrogator, played by Glenn Close. It is next to impossible to find a copy of this film today, though it has surfaced in some foreign countries. By "foreign," I mean not in the U.S.A.

Good sleuthing on your part, Charlie. You're up next!

Dan N.

Thanks. This one will be much easier.

I played villains in many of my most memorable films, but I'm probably best known for being a good guy. I even play the straight man for my humorous partner. In the spirit of the season, I played two different roles in two different versions of a holiday favorite on the boob tube.

Who am I?

CharlieT

I'm probably best known for being a good guy. I even play the straight man for my humorous partner.... I played two different roles in two different versions of a holiday favorite on the boob tube.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Holiday Inn all the way through, but I'll guess Bing Crosby.

It's not Jack Palance... nor Bing Crosby, not even Art Carney. I'm really surprised no one's gotten it already.

Clue, huh? Hmmm... He was known for a skill he portrayed on film although he was only successful at it once.

Maybe you guys are making it harder than it is.

CharlieT

No, nope and nyet.

Clue. The good guy he portrayed on stage, in film and as the voice of an animated character based upon the same role.

CharlieT

No, not Senor Sim.

Correct holiday classic, wrong version. Remember the holiday presentations were on the boob tube... meaning they were TV productions.

CharlieT

Nope. Not Patrick MacNee.

Although he was British through and through, he was born in Johannesburg, South Africa. His family fled South Africa when he was 3 when his father was accused of being a British spy.

Also, he wasn't in any of the well-known versions of the Dicken's classic that most of us are familiar with. I do own a VHS tape of one of the versions he was in.

CharlieT

You are correct, oh wise one.

He was known for his bad guy roles in movies like "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and "The Mark of Zorro." But most everyone remembers him as Sherlock Holmes along with his humorous sidekick Dr. Watson played delightfully by Nigel Bruce. He also lent his voice to the animated "The Great Mouse Detective."

Mr. Rathbone portrayed Marley's ghost in the 1954 Shower of Stars production of "The Spirit of Christmas" - a retelling of the Dicken's classic. Two years later, he starred as Scrooge in The Alcoa Hour's presentation of "The Stingiest Man in Town."

He was also recognized as the best swordsman in Hollywood, even better than Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power who bested him in the aforementioned movies. His only success was as Tybalt in a production of Romeo and Juliet.

This solution was not quite as "elementary" as I imagined it would be. The ball is in Mr. Miller's court. Proceed Mark.

CharlieT

Okay. Here goes:

I have played everything from a lion tamer to a cadet to a traveling salesman to a photographer to a piano player. I've done comedy as well as drama and have appeared in a musical or two. And I've done plenty of television. In the early part of my career Jack Warner tried to ruin me because of a dalliance with his wife. It didn't work though. World War II broke out and I enlisted. When I came back I worked for Paramount. Who am I?