Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

No, I'm not glorious Gloria. I studied under Maria Ouspenskaya (pardon my spelling if it's wrong), anyway, the dear lady was a fine teacher. Once, my character in a film, and a memorable scene it was, removed her make-up while slyly seducing her husband.

I guess you could say that Claire and I have played the same types of characters on film, but physically we're quite different. My husband calls me his "Big Girl," I have big eyes and a big deep voice along with being 5'9". After my film career I enjoyed guesting on tv and was even on a soap for awhile. I'd like to think I'm considered the salt of the earth, a woman from pioneer stock born in Piute County Utah.

I was born in India to British parents. I was a stage actress as a child and made my film debut as a teenager. I came to prominence in a film from a famous director. During the '40s, I ranked as one of the UK's top screen stars. I was at my best in calculating, wicked roles.. My popularity diminished, and from the mid-'50s began appearing exclusively on stage. My daughter has also been in British films.

I think this must be Merle Oberon. She was born in India, she appeared in her first four (4) films as a teenager, and when you say she "came to prominence in a film from a famous director," that could be either "The Private Life of Henry VIII" (1933), directed by Alexander Korda, or "Wuthering Heights" (1939), directed by William Wyler.

Cheers,

Dan

I was a WAMPAS Baby Star and a great silent film star. So great I got my studio out of debt during the Depression.

And I'm very proud of my son, he was a principal collaborator on one of America's breakthrough pop-rock albums of the '60's. It equalled or surpassed anything put out by The Beatles.

Who Am I? If you know me, then you can also name my son.

This was terrific for me--to be able to link "Pet Sounds" and Brian with a silent movie star.

And the husband was the producer of *Elephant Walk*.

And Fi, you must have really enjoyed this too--great work.

Of course, not much of this stuff is on the internet. I got it from doing research on Brian Wilson.

Fi--it's all yours!

I was a darkly handsome male model and studied acting with Stella Adler before my mid '50s screen debut. I was popular for a while with teenagers but by the early '60s was appearing mainly in minor productions in the US and abroad. I co-starred in a late-'60s-early '70s TV series and was seen in many TV movies.

Edited by: finance on Sep 16, 2010 11:40 AM

I was already making headlines as a baby. The Kansas City Star reported my kidnapping when I was snatched by my father and taken by train to Texas from Missouri. My mother figured out that I'd probably be with my father's relatives and, ever resourceful, she made inquiries and found out where they lived.

Mother boldly walked in the house, picked me up out of a highchair, ran out to a waiting car, just in time to spirit me away (one of my aunts held on to the car and was dragged quite a distance). There was no train that night, and a kindly Indian lady named "Radio" because she had a crystal set, invited us to stay in her tepee. The next morning we were on our way back to Missouri.

My mother was intrepid and her ambition, stamina, and spirituality helped shape my character. Who am I?