Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Thanks Poinciana. Here's one.

I was born in 1901 in San Juan, Puerto Rico to a Puerto Rican fisherman and a Brazilian mother. My mother died when I was very young. Consequently, I educated myself and spent much of my childhood in Brazil singing on the streets to raise money for food. I was hired by a circus and became an entertainer which began my interest in pursuing a career in entertainment. I moved to the United States to further my goal.

Before becoming a movie actor I was a radio actor (where I acted on a soap opera with Jessica Tandy), and a vaudeville performer. My film career began in 1932 in a small independent film for a select audience. I made several such films throughout the 30s and early 40s. It wasn?t until 1949 that I acted in my first mainstream film which garnered me a Golden Globe nomination for ?New star of the year?. I was a pioneer of sorts in the movie industry and many say that my success paved the way for more popular and successful actors who came after me in the 1950s.

I worked fairly steadily throughout my career and was able to play many characters that possessed a quiet dignity, even portraying a judge in one film.

I made several notable TV appearances in the late 50s and early 60s. When I retired, I returned home to Puerto Rico where I lived with my wife until I died suddenly in 1970 of a cerebral brain hemorrhage. Do you know me?

Wow! I am very impressed. I thought since I intentionally left out a major component in my description, it would take a long time for anyone to get it. Well Done! The thread is yours.

Edited by: rhodag on Sep 19, 2010 9:02 AM

Juano was a standout. So many of us around here love him. Glad you do too and thanks.

Next: I was doing a lot of acting on radio before the movies "discovered" me. My speaking voice was radio-friendly but eventually the powers that be saw my potential as a femme fatale in movies. I not only played those sort of ladies tho, I could be a poignant heroine as well. I was signed for a part in superb film noir, all set to go, but my role in another well-known sort of ground-breaker took too long to film and I lost the noir role to a relative unknown, Ava.

Who am I?

Thanks, Ponci.

Do you know me? I'm an actor whose film career spanned five (5) decades, and my filmography includes at least three (3) films that are almost always included in lists of the greatest films ever made. I was born and died in the same city.

My wife was a well-known actress with a career of her own. We were in the same picture twice, during our careers.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Finance, I thank you for taking the trouble to reply, even if you did not have an actual guess.

I will give you another clue: Three of my films were based on novels by Ernest Hemingway.

The rest of the question is:

Do you know me? I'm an actor whose film career spanned five (5) decades, and my filmography includes at least three (3) films that are almost always included in lists of the greatest films ever made. I was born and died in the same city.

My wife was a well-known actress with a career of her own. We were in the same picture twice, during our careers.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Where do you find these little known facts, Dan ?

I believe the actor you're looking for is Marcel Dalio, who was born Israel Moshe Blauschild in Paris in 1900 and died there 83 years later...His filmography dates from 1931 to 1982---more than fifty years. He was in "Casablanca", "Grand Illusion" and "To Have And Have Not", although I'm not sure those are the ones everyone would include in the greatest films....He was in three movies based on Hemingway's novels: "The Sun Also Rises", "The Snows of Kilimanjaro", and "To Have And Have Not"...He was in the movies "Casablanca" and "Paris After Dark" with his wife, the French actress Madeleine Lebeau......He did live an interesting life especially during the war....For those interested, check his biography in IMDB...

mudski wrote:

I believe the actor you're looking for is Marcel Dalio, who was born Israel Moshe Blauschild in Paris in 1900 and died there 83 years later...His filmography dates from 1931 to 1982---more than fifty years. He was in "Casablanca", "Grand Illusion" and "To Have And Have Not", although I'm not sure those are the ones everyone would include in the greatest films....He was in three movies based on Hemingway's novels: "The Sun Also Rises", "The Snows of Kilimanjaro", and "To Have And Have Not"...He was in the movies "Casablanca" and "Paris After Dark" with his wife, the French actress Madeleine Lebeau.

Thank you, mudski! You are absolutely CORRECT! And I especially thank you for giving such a COMPLETE reply.

The three (3) films of Marcel Dalio that I mentioned, that are almost always included in lists of The Greatest Films of All Time are "Grand Illusion," "The Rules of the Game," and "Casablanca."

Now I expect some huffy female poster to come here and snort:

"Huh! I never even HEARD of this Marcel Dalio! Your questions should not include minor actors!"

Believe it or not, I received exactly that message, once when I posted a question that went unanswered, and finally I gave the answer myself: Thomas Sangster. And this lady went all huffy on me, 'cause she thought I should only ask questions about big stars.

I'm glad you are not that shallow, mudski. Your thread, now.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, that is not exactly the exchange that was posted. Why not tell the truth if you are going to bother posting at all? I see your attitude hasn't changed much that's too bad. It takes as much energy, in fact even less to be pleasant to everyone, not just those that answer exactly the way you want them to. Over 2 years ago I recall you bad mouthing a poster for posting a question that you felt was too easy since the answer could be found on imdb. Why not just be pleasant to everyone here? It'd only trivia and we are all here to have fun, not hurt or insult anyone. thank You.

btw muskipper Excellent job in answering a challenging question posted by Dan.

lavenderblue wrote:

Dan, that is not exactly the exchange that was posted. Why not tell the truth if you are going to bother posting at all?

btw muskipper Excellent job in answering a challenging question posted by Dan.

Hi, lavender... So it was you, huh? Couldn't remember the lady's name. Nice to see you back.

Cheers,

Dan

Yes dan, it was me that you insulted when you felt my question was too easy. But I'm not the only poster who has been subjected to your unfortunate insults. Let it go. At least this time you posted a question that was about classic films instead of Hey Dude Where's My Car? You've already admitted to being asked to leave other sites for your rudeness. Let it go now.

I guess i'll be anybody's--wasn't that a character in "West Side Story"?

Let's go:

I was an outstanding dancer in a breakthrough Broadway hit musical.

And I had a pivotal role in a Golden Era Movie Musical Classic.

Also I appeared on Broadway in plays, once co-starring with John Garfield.

Truman Capote once told me that I was one of the models for Holly Golightly.

Who Am I?

You're right--Joan was "The Girl Who Fell Down" in "Oklahoma". And some of her true life experiences are given to Holly Golightly. She knew Truman Capote because her 1st husband became his lifetime companion.

Dan, Cheers to you--you earned it!

Thanks, cujas....

Do you know me? I am an Emmy-winning actress, but my award was not for acting.

Though I am very much alive, I began my film career as a model for cartoons. Later on, I became known for my work in front of the camera, appearing in several films with such actors as Fred Astaire, Burt Lancaster, and Jack Lemmon. One of my stepdaughters is a successful actress on TV.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan