Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

I was a Canadian who moved to England, and acted on stage there and in occasional films. I then acted on Broadway, starting in the late '50s, and won a Tony in the early '60s. After that I played intelligent leads and key supporting roles in occasional Hollywood films. I starred in numerous TV productions, including a series about a lawyer, and many TV movies.

Edited by: finance on Oct 6, 2010 10:31 AM

Edited by: finance on Oct 6, 2010 3:01 PM

Thanks.

?I was born in Vienna, Austria on October 7, 1917. I was arrested and imprisoned at a concentration camp, due to my activism against the Nazis. My family got me released, and I was sent to Los Angeles to stay with the only person they knew in America. I started acting in local productions and was spotted by a talent scout who was impressed by my good looks. Despite the fact that I was very anti-fascist/anti-Nazi, I made war espionage films/dramas of the 1940s where I was the enemy. I find that ironic, don?t you? In 1958, I married the boss of MGM?s daughter (he had been considered the most powerful man in Hollywood since 1927.) After my acting prospects began to dry up, I tried directing but didn?t like it. So I started producing films, including some for a director noted for his big-budget westerns and who gave me a part in each of them. After my father-in-law was forced out (that's another story), I would eventually become president of the family business in 1970.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Oct 8, 2010 12:18 PM

The only men that could be considered "the most powerful in Hollywood", IMHO, are Jack Warner and Louis B. Mayer. Warner had no daughters, Mayer had two. One married David Selznick and the other married William Goetz. Is this a dead end?

According to my source, the most powerful name in Hollywood since 1927 was N.S.

(By the way, the original post has been edited to be more exact on that point.)

But, I wouldn't center on that point, this actor was in ***major hint*** Flynn/Reagan war films.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Oct 8, 2010 12:16 PM

Yes. He married the daughter of Nicholas Schenck, who was the big boss of MGM and was called the most powerful man in Hollywood. Dantine in later years produced films for Sam Peckinpah. Your turn.

Nicholas Schenck ran Loews Inc. It was the parent company of MGM. He was Louis B. Mayer's boss. Now, do you know me? I was a former beauty contest winner who arrived in Hollywood with a husband and a baby. My married name was the same as a major star, and my maiden name was similar to that of another star, so I changed my first name and kept my married name. I started out in what were known as "prairie flower" roles. That is, the leading lady in "B" westerns. I worked with almost all of the top cowboy stars. I wasn't just a pretty face. I was quite adept at riding and I could shoot like I knew what what I was doing. I could even handle a team of horses pulling a wagon. When I started working with Gene Autry, he liked me so much that he put me under contract to his production company. I worked in many movies and TV shows with Gene, and some other shows that he produced. Eventually I got my own TV series where I became a positive role model for young girls. Even after my show was finished, I remained under contract to Gene and appeared in many rodeos that he sponsored. A little later, I guested on some other TV shows, including "The Andy Griffith Show". Do you know me?

Yes, I was born Betty Jeanne Grayson and my first husband was named Bob Davis, so my name was Betty Davis. I couldn't use that name, and not wanting to be confused with Kathrine Grayson, I couldn't use my maiden name, so I settled on the name Gail Davis. My TV show was, of course, Annie Oakley, which was produced by Gene Autry's company. Prior to that, I appeared in fourteen feature films with Gene and at least fifteen episodes of his TV series. I was his leading lady in more films than anyone else. After my series ended, I remained under contract to Gene and appeared in several rodeos that he sponsored. Later in my career, I guested on several TV shows, including "The Andy Griffith Show" where I played Thelma Lou's cousin, with whom Andy was a little smitten. I was always very proud of the fact that I served as a positive role model for young girls. I was the first woman to star in her own western series on TV. Tell me, Poinciana, did you have an Annie Oakley lunch box back then? Lots of kids did. Oh, and by the way, it's your turn now.

I was born an Englishman, my given name was Reginald which later on I changed to reflect my Irish heritage. Because my looks are leading man, I was cast as such or second lead in movies. Lucky me, I starred with two of the most celebrated actresses of the Golden Age. I was very very good friends with Errol and defended him against the charges laid at his door - those awful Nazi rumors. Who am I?

Miles, the only lunch box I remember was a pastel green one with a matching thermos. I loved it! As for Gail, something clicked from your description, that being her appearance on Andy Griffith. Sooooo, late last night I found myself on Google googling "actresses who guest-starred on AG." I found her on a Wiki list.

I was born an Englishman, my given name was Reginald which later on I changed to reflect my Irish heritage. Because my looks are leading man, I was cast as such or second lead in movies. Lucky me, I starred with two of the most celebrated actresses of the Golden Age. I was very very good friends with Errol and defended him against the charges laid at his door - those awful Nazi rumors. Who am I?

Miles, the only lunch box I remember was a pastel green one with a matching thermos. I loved it! As for Gail, I couldn't remember her name but I could SEE her, something clicked from your description, that being her appearance on Andy Griffith. Sooooo, late last night I found myself on Google googling "actresses who guest-starred on AG." I found her on a Wiki list.

I'm not Ray.

I did early episodic tv, actually I jumped at the chance to do it because, even tho I chose to freelance, the parts I was getting in films were, for the most part, ridiculous. I appeared in all manner of tv genre's in the 50's.

Re Flynn, I used to take him flying (I'm a licensed pilot), and wouldn't folks be surprised to know the old swash himself was a white-knuckle passenger, positively phobic.

One of my favorite things to do was volunteer at the Motion Picture Country Home in Calabasas, CA.

You're right Pretty Colors...

Patric was almost too handsome for his own good, but, thank goodness, not in a "pretty boy" way.

Thanks, Poinciana- and he was very handsome.

She was a contract player at MGM and Warner Bros. She had an important role in a classic horror film. but most often you'd see her on TV. She co-starred in a TV series in the 50's. After giving up her acting career she worked for CBS in another capacity. Who was this dark haired beauty?

I guessed Frances Dee, but then saw you added more to it. I don?t think it?s Frances Dee now. Is it?

Edited by: allaboutlana on Oct 11, 2010 9:46 AM

Sorry lana- good guess. I'm having a heck of time getting on the message bd. and posting lately.

She co-starred in a TV series with a famous actor

How about lovely Phyllis Kirk who co-starred with Peter Lawford in the tv Thin Man series.

PS Why oh why don't they fix this website to make it user friendly! Used to be so. Now I'm lucky if I don't have to reboot after clicking on "post" or even moving from one thread to another. Do you suppose the powers that be ever ask themselves why attendance on this website dropped hugely???