Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Correct, Ms.P.Speaking of lovely, how you? Didn't you love the Thin Man series.Both Lawford and Phyllis Kirk were very good. Not Myrna and Powell of course but enjoyable. The film was *House of Wax* and Ms. Kirk was a publicist for CBS News. Good work Poinciana and it's your thread Ms. Smartie.

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Oct 11, 2010 7:19 PM

I was born before the turn of the Century. As a young girl, I fell in love with all things Theater. I appeared in many stage productions and in later life movies and tv became part of my resume. I was great friends and collaborator with a legendary Hollywood actress as well as her paramour. I inherited a down-east accent from my parents which I put to good advantage in some of my acting roles.

Who am I?

LB, how sweet are you (and back to you kid)...I'm trundling along.

I was born before the turn of the Century. As a young girl, I fell in love with all things Theater. I appeared in many stage productions and in later life movies and tv became part of my resume. I was great friends and collaborator with a legendary Hollywood actress as well as her paramour. I inherited a down-east accent from my parents which I put to good advantage in some of my acting roles.

Who am I?

LB, how sweet are you (and back to you kid)...I'm trundling along.

Alert: UH, I've got the giggles so bad and my eyes are mirthfully watering. My subject was great friends with a great actress AND with the great actress's male lover who was also a great actor (did I put in enough "greats"). I need an editor!

A new clue: I was a tiny woman but packed a wallop in one movie in particular. Re my relationship to the above mentioned legends, my husband wrote a book about their long-lasting affair.

Do you know me? I was born in Ohio. As a child I was in the same dance class with Doris Day. I went to New York in my teens and became a Rockette. That led to Broadway. I was in two shows with June Allyson before she went to Hollywood. I was in "Panama Hattie" with Ethel Merman. Later I would be in a movie with her. I was given a chance to be in some Hollywood musicals and I jumped at it. I made a few movies for Samuel Goldwyn before going to MGM, where I danced with Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. Later, I dance with Donald O'Connor. As fewer musicals were being made, my career came to an end in the late fifties. I made my last movie at age thirty-six and never went back. Very few people know that my singing voice in movies was always dubbed. Throughout the fifties I suffered from an eating disorder that doctors had not yet even named anorexia. I was known to have the smallest waist in Hollywood. That is very apparent in a movie I made with Bing Crosby that you are all familiar with. In my early forties, I gave birth to a daughter. She died at three months of age from SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). I withdrew from the public eye and became a sort of recluse. I also developed arthritis and started taking dance lessons again just to try to stay limber. I died at age sixty, virtually unknown to a whole generation of movie fans. Do you know me?

You've got it, cujas. If you look at Vera-Ellen in "On The Town" from 1949 and "White Christmas" in 1954, I think you can see the weight loss from the anorexia. I failed to mention that her fIrst two movies were with Danny Kaye and, of course, they would be reunited in "White Christmas". She danced with Gene Kelly in "Words And Music" and "On The Town", and with Fred Astaire in both "Three Little Words" and "The Belle Of New York". "Call Me Madam" was the movie she made with Ethel Merman and also where she danced with Donald O'Connor. Cujas, you've probably been vamping since you gave your answer, so now you get to go next.

Thanx Miles, I always knew there was something peculiar about her body, but I didn't know why.

Do you know me?

I produced movies as MGM and WB--with the top rank of stars.

Not so unusual, except I was an openly gay man, who lived with his openly gay companion in the heyday of Hollywood's Golden Age. And My companion was a very famous and gifted artist in Hollywood movies.

If you know me, it shouldn't be hard to name him as well.

Edited by: cujas on Oct 25, 2010 3:22 PM

You're so close you can have it.

The producer was David Lewis, who was James Whale's longtime companion. Of course, Whale was the famous "Frankenstein" director.

That was well done.

Fi's up--

Thanks.

?Born in 1879 in London, I I found my extended family to be quite prominent, as a grandfather was a baron, an uncle a general, and a cousin of mine an explorer. I served in WWI for a brief time, before being wounded and being sent home. Many of my friends were highly artistic and eccentric. Who knows? Maybe I am too! I found my passion in life in the form of acting. I enjoyed a very long career in the movies and on the stage. You probably saw me on Alec Guinness night as I made several British films with him, and I appeared in a holiday movie as well. But, I will probably be remembered for a 1935 film that some say is better than the film before it. Unfortunately, you will not get to see my delicious performance in this, as they're showing something else! *Shudder!* But, just to let you know, I play someone slightly deranged and I let them exaggerate my appearance so that I would look strange just for this film. Yes, really.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Oct 27, 2010 5:00 PM

?Yes, I am Ernest Thesiger. Go to the head of the class.?

And, frankly, yes, I think I would call Bride of Frankenstein my favorite Universal horror film, but it?s probably a lot of people?s. Dracula and The Wolf Man, the originals of course. are probably my next favorites.

Your turn.

I was a WAMPAS Baby Star, so I was noted for my beauty.

I played choice supporting roles, mainly at Warners, but I was featured in an outstanding MGM epic movie in the late '30's.

My husband was a successful movie producer, but I was mostly retired in the '40's.

With the Golden Age of TV, I starred in a series that is well-known and beloved by baby boomers.

The only hint I can give you is that several of my notable films were historical, period dramas.

Do you know me?