Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Thanks. Do you know me. I was a purple heart recipient in World War II. I took part in the D-day invasion of Normandy and later I was wounded in two battles, one of them was the "Battle of the Bulge" After the war, I had several jobs including dance instructor. The dancing eventually led me to acting, although it took quite a while. I was in my forties when I became a thespian. Some stage work led to some TV roles. For a while, I seemed to be type cast as cops. I was in an episode of "All In The Family" as a cop who liked foot long hot dogs. I was in a major award winning movie in the early seventies as a somewhat corrupt police detective, and I also played a detective in a well known seventies movie about a bank robbery gone awry. My dancing ability got me a role in a well received TV movie about a middle-aged woman looking for romance at a dance hall, and I did a solo song and dance in a later musical film based on a hit Broadway show. I went back to the stage intermittently. I did a much acclaimed one man show about baseball legend Casey Stengel. I became friends with Burt Reynolds and got to work with him on numerous occasions, both in pictures and on TV. I've played priests on several occasions, including in a recurring role on a top rated TV show. Oh, and one more thing, I've played Santa Claus about five times. I have been called the quintessential character actor by some. Do you know me?

Thanks. I meant to post earlier, but was detained.

Next:

?Born in Virginia, I was taught that whatever you do, do it well, and to set an example of a true southern gentleman. I found my love for the imaginative parts of life, and I went into acting on the stage after some rather tedious jobs in New York City and then Miami. Though, I did enjoy my turn as a dramatic critic. I found the stage to be particularly exhilarating. After some doing, I earned a position behind the curtain in New York City. Me jetsetting around the states, imagine that! I then got a run in Boston for a season and was then off to Broadway. You see, hard work pays off. Soon after, I married and got some connections through another aspiring talent. We made it to Hollywood together. And, pretty soon I was in the movies, though they weren?t quite what they make them out to be. I even appeared on tv and had my own show for a brief time. I?ve never been one to toot my own horn or complain, because, as I?ve said, your work is supposed to account for something, or rather to speak for itself. But I was never once nominated for an Oscar, though I often starred with Oscar-winning actresses. I was given an award though from the Venice Film Festival for one of my favorites. I am grateful for what I had, but I never felt much gratitude from Hollywood for my work. I guess I just have high ideals and want people to appreciate hard work. I lost my wife and then married an actress in my later years. I retired after suffering a stroke. But I recovered and enjoyed my life with my wife, my friends and my garden. My garden. You know, the best things in life are in quiet places. I hope people who see me will at least think of me as a dependable, hard working actor who knew you get out of life what you put into it.?

?Do you know me??

Let's try some more info. Any takers for revised post ??

?Born in Virginia in 1905, I was taught that whatever you do, do it well, and to set an example of a true southern gentleman. I found my love for the imaginative parts of life, and I went into acting on the stage after some rather tedious jobs in New York City and then Miami. Though, I did enjoy my turn as a dramatic critic. I found the stage to be particularly exhilarating. After some doing, I earned a position behind the curtain in New York City. Me jetsetting around the states, imagine that! I then got a run in Boston for a season and was then off to Broadway. You see, hard work pays off. Soon after, I married and got some connections through another aspiring talent. We made it to Hollywood together. And, pretty soon I was in the movies, though they weren?t quite what they make them out to be. I made my most famous films in 1941 and 1942 with my good friend, who some said was very difficult to work with. But, we got along great, and I thought a lot of him. And, I was in one of Mr. Hitchcock's films in 1943 of which he said he was particularly fond of. I even appeared on tv and had my own show for a brief time in the late 50s. I?ve never been one to toot my own horn or complain, because, as I?ve said, your work is supposed to account for something, or rather to speak for itself. But I was never once nominated for an Oscar, though I often starred with talented actresses, most of whom won Oscars, including Bette Davis, Ingrid Bergman, Olivia de Havilland, Claudette Colbert, Ginger Rogers, Loretta Young, Barbara Stanwyck, Merle Oberon, and Jennifer Jones. I worked with most of these at least twice but Jennifer, a good friend, I worked with most often. I was given an award though from the Venice Film Festival for one of my favorites. I am grateful for what I had, but I never felt much gratitude from Hollywood for my work. I guess I just have high ideals and want people to appreciate hard work. I lost my wife and then married an actress in my later years. I retired after suffering a stroke. But I recovered and enjoyed retirement with my wife, my friends and my garden. My garden. You know, the best things in life are in quiet places. I hope people who see me will at least think of me as a dependable, hard working actor who knew you get out of life what you put into it.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Nov 3, 2010 8:42 PM

I was in the Army and served with the Thunderbolt Division in the Ardennes Forest and the Rhineland.I was hit by a bullet and nearly bled to death. Before being discharged, I had a few medals and decorations. I later served in the Signal Corps with Charlton Heston.

In the movies and TV, I was a character actor playing villains, gangsters, cowboys, a prison guard, and a brain-damaged individual. One actor said I was the baddest guy in the business....Who the heck am I ?

Thanks. Do you know me? Maybe not because I had a rather short movie career. I started in bit parts in the thirties before I got the lead in a western serial where I became the first actor to portray "The Lone Ranger" on screen. Previously it had only been done on radio. I also toured with a circus, where I was billed as "The Lone Ranger" before litigation forced me to change. It was there that I met my wife, who was a bareback rider. I was also in a well known serial with Buster Crabbe before doing a series of westerns portraying a U.S.marshal with my own name. I did them for a poverty row studio called PRC (Producers Releasing Corporation). Buster would follow me there and do his own series of shoot'em ups in the forties. I starred as a U.S. Marine in a serial in the late thirties and when World War II broke out, I joined the marines and saw action in several battles in the Pacific. After one battle, we were celebrating our victory with a home brew concoction that one of my fellow marines made. I had too much and died of acute alcohol poisoning. I was only thirty-six years old. Do you know me?

Yes, I am Lee Powell and I had a short but eventful life. The serial with Buster Crabbe was "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe". The one where I played a marine was "The Fighting Devil Dogs". Working in serials in those days was a way to get noticed. You appeared in an episode shown every week. It was much like the forerunner of a TV series. Unfortunately, actors and actresses often became typecast and found themselves relegated to "B" movies for much of their career. Your turn, Lana.

Thanks.

?I am not speaking for myself, but rather on behalf of my daughter. Yes, I am an actor, and when you recognize her, you will know me too. But I wish to speak for her, for she is far too modest to say all that I can say about her. She inherited her love for acting from her mother and I, and took to it like a duck to water. Her movie debut was in 1938 with her mother and I and she appeared in a several supporting roles in her early years. With the advent of tv, she found much success in one long-running family show of the 1950s and 1960s, and a relatively short-lived one of the late 1960s and has remained active ever since. But, a highlight of her career came in 1947 when she made her Broadway debut in ?For Love or Money,? which critics praised her for and later on was given four theatrical awards for her work in that play, including a Tony. On opening night, she was given a standing ovation. I have never been more proud of her, than I was then. In fact, I was always proud of her. She is in fact a very beautiful person, whose love for people shows in her face. She isn?t glamorous perhaps, but she has what many might call a good face with eyes that spoke volumes. I knew she had to grow up, but I?ll always think of her in those early pictures when she was someone?s sister or good friend, like The Yearling, Adam Had Four Sons, Sergeant York, and others. Some of which she wasn?t billed in the credits, but those who know her, know she?s there."

?Do you know my daughter??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Nov 8, 2010 8:26 PM

Thanks Lana...

I was a good utility actress with a gift for doing foreign accents, that, coupled with a Northern European "look" and if I do say it myself, an acting gift afforded me a wonderful career in the business. A favorite of Stanley Kramer, I was fortunate to get small but notable parts in his movies. My career in film began in the 40's and I was still going strong in the 60's playing a grandmotherly character on television. My husband was a notable character actor and we were always recognized by our peers and the public.

Who am I?

Thanks Lana...

I was a good utility actress with a gift for doing foreign accents, that, coupled with a Northern European "look" and if I do say it myself, an acting gift afforded me a wonderful career in the business. A favorite of Stanley Kramer, I was fortunate to get small but notable parts in his movies. My career in film began in the 40's and I was still going strong in the 60's playing a grandmotherly character on television. My husband was a notable character actor and we were always recognized by our peers and the public.

Who am I?

Thanks. Do you know me? I was a real cowboy and rodeo performer who was hired to deliver horses to Hollywood in the early forties. I decided to stick around and worked as a stuntman and bit player for years before being noticed by a well know director. He gave me featured roles in several movies where my horsemanship was on display. I even played the lead in one film in the early fifties. After a while, I decided to go back to rodeos, where my father had been a star, but it didn't pay very well, so I returned to the movie world. In the early seventies I was in a much acclaimed movie by an up and coming director. It was set in a small town in Texas and my performance garnered rave reviews. I continued to work steadily in movies and TV until I died at age seventy-seven. I had a heart attack while visiting my mother. Do you know me?