Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Yes, Speedy, I'm Ben Johnson. It was Howard Hughes who hired me to bring horses to California, and later I worked with one of his wives, Terry Moore, in "Mighty Joe Young". I was a stunt double for people like John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Randolph Scott. John Ford gave me my big break and I got to star in "Wagon Master". "The Last Picture Show" kind of re-started my career, and I was active till the end. Your turn, Lavender.

Thanks, Miles

As a young girl she trained as an opera singer. A tonsillectomy changed her soprano voice to contralto so she changed her style to big band and popular music.She was a famous radio personality for many years. She appeared in a few films, mostly playing herself. In one much loved biopic she sang a great rendition of a popular song. In another loved film, she played a stage actress and sang a very patriotic song. What she was proudest of and made her the happiest was touring with the USO. Do you know who this patriotic entertainer is ?

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Nov 11, 2010 3:48 PM

Thanks. I thought Frances Langford was terrific in "Hollywood Hotel". Did you know that she helped introduce the song "I'm In The Mood For Love" in a movie called "Every Night At Eight"? It became one of her signature tunes, as well as "Embraceable You". Now, do you know me? I was considered a child prodigy on the piano and as a youngster I performed with symphony orchestras. That led to movies where I played the piano in a couple of films. The studio decided to groom me as more of an actress and cast me in juvenile roles in some well known movies, mostly comedies, but some dramas as well. I was in a very funny picture with Ray Milland that was later remade into a musical. I was also in the remake. I played a teenager in a much loved Preston Sturges picture and later I was the female lead in a movie with Ronald Reagan. I worked several times with Martin and Lewis. While in my twenties I was married to a man who would later become a congressman and eventually mayor of New York City, but that happened some years after our divorce. At one point I gave up show business to run a travel agency. I accepted an offer to return to Hollywood to make a picture, but before shooting began I suffered a stroke and died. I was only forty-five years old. Do you know me?

Thanks Miles and I remember John Lindsay with his movie star good looks. As far as multi talented Diana Lynn goes, I've always thought she was wonderful, so tragic that her life ended at such a young age.

He started out on Broadway when he was 14. He was in a few films then got to play the lead in a popular series of films that are requested quite a bit around here. He was in a famous film with an A list cast. The same year he appeared with one of the cast members again and gave this Hollywood beauty her first on screen kiss. He moved over to TV and appeared in many TV shows. He then did production work for television and helped create some famous shows. He is still producing and writing. Do you know him?

Jimmy Lydon is correct, Miles. *Life with Father* then in *Cynthia* with Elizabeth Taylor- he gave her her first screen kiss. He's credited for creating 77 Sunset Strip and the TV show Mash . Wish TCM would run *The Henry Aldrich* series. Loved wathcing them as a kid. Good job Miles, your turn.

Thanks. Do you know me? I went to high school with Jimmy Lydon. We also had Terry Kilburn and the Mauch twins, Billy and Bobby, in our school at that time. I started as a band singer alongside Perry Como and Marilyn Maxwell. I made my movie debut in a film with Bonita Granville. I moved to another studio where I worked often with Gene Autry. When Gene went into the army, I worked a few times with Roy Rogers and other western stars. The studio also put me in a few minor musicals. They tried to have me play characters that were quite a bit younger than I actually was, and as you know, that only works for so long before you outgrow those roles. When World War II ended so did my movie career. I retired from show business, got married and raised a family. I worked in a bank for fifteen years, my movie career all but forgotten except by a few old movie fans. Do you know me?

When I was little, my father and mother divorced. My mother took me to Europe where I learned to speak Italian and French. I didn't learn to speak English until we returned to America when I was six.

My first movie was a musical. I was part of history later when I appeared in the first 3-D film. ...and to give this question away, I was a skeet shooting champion...so there...Who me?

Thanks and that's Ms Blue to you, ms.. ( lol )!

He's an actor,singer and songwriter. He received his BS from an Ivy League School. His film career as an actor is not considered prolific, but he did sing many beautiful theme songs in films. He was a popular singer and he wrote the lyrics to a wonderful Oscar winning song. Do you know him?

I was a magician and vocalist while still in school. After going to an Ivy League college, I worked as a janitor, usher, and jazz musician while breaking into acting on the off-Broadway stage. I have since been on Broadway, TV, and have played a wide range of lead roles in dramatic and comic films, getting one Oscar nomination. When my screen career ebbed in the early '80s, I revived my pursuit of music, playing with a jazz band.

Edited by: finance on Nov 22, 2010 10:13 AM

Edited by: finance on Nov 22, 2010 4:24 PM

Hint: Tthe film for which I recieved an Oscar nomination also had other performers nominated. This film was nominated in EVERY category (first film to do that)

Edited by: finance on Nov 24, 2010 10:27 AM

Edited by: finance on Nov 24, 2010 3:16 PM

Edited by: finance on Nov 24, 2010 3:57 PM