Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Thanks. Do you know me? I sang and did comedy routines with my younger sister. We worked for Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians. I also did musical theater. I had an older sister who had gone from Broadway to Hollywood. She got her studio to give both me and my younger sister a screen test. We were awarded contracts and for several years we worked both as sisters and separately. In one all star musical, my older sister needed a lookalike for a plot that involved a mistaken identity. I was a natural for the role and I got to sing with one of the top musical stars in Hollywood as we waded barefoot in a fountain. My younger sister had the best movie career of all of us. She got to work with people like Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock. When my contract ended, I went back to musical theater, since it had always been my first love. Do you know me?

Yes, Rosemary Lane was the middle sister of the three Lane sisters. She bore a strong resemblance to Lola, who was eight years older. Priscilla was a year younger than Rosemary. Rosemary sang and waded with Dick Powell in "Hollywood Hotel" in 1937. Good work, finance. Your turn now.

?I kept a journal of my life in detail up to my death and it was published at that time. My death was rather ? well, I?d rather leave up to you to find out. My marriage to a famous actor shocked many of my friends, as he and I had opposing political views. Though my name may not be familiar to many Americans, I was very much respected in England and I won several British awards. I was nominated for an Oscar once for my turn as a wife to a sportsman of sorts, and I worked with some of the best actors on the stage and in the movies. I was seen recently on TCM in a movie that was based on real events and for which some might remember me from. I pride myself for portraying strong women, on the whole. At least they were different than what you?d usually find. As I aged, I had a somewhat rough-looking countenance. But it helped, making my characters stand out more from the crowd. But I had beautiful bone structure and eyes that can wear anyone down. At least, that was what I was told. And, I know karate, too. That always comes in handy."

?Do you know me??

I was born in NYC, began in films as an extra, and had my first important film role in 1916. I had a rewarding working association with 2 actresses who were sisters, and became a major silent star. With the coming of talkies, I sang in my first film, and my popularity lasted for a couple years.. After that, my First National films weren't very popular.. One featured an early starring role by a female soon-to-be major star.. I retired from films in the mid-'30s, but came back 3 years later with a praised performance in a major film. I made no real impact in films after that.

Edited by: finance on Dec 3, 2010 3:59 PM

Thanks.

?My name may not be known to many, but those who know me know I was a tough grandma in a 1990s family comedy. Born in New York City in 1911, I was determined to make good on my dream of acting and my love of music, despite the fact I had rickets as a young girl and had to wear leg braces for 13 years. Through much dedication and perseverance, I made it to Broadway and produced musicals on my own. I learned much by working for Mr. Welles in an all-black production of MacBeth in the 1930s. I was awarded the American National Medal of the Arts in 1999 for my services to the arts. I acted in movies sporadically from 1958 to 1986, including one appearance as a no-nonsense nurse to a stubborn old man in a 1975 movie, and I even dabbled in daytime dramas, such as Ryan's Hope, Guiding Light, and Another World. But my work in the 1980s and 1990s in situation comedies is still most associated with my name. However I am remembered, I don?t care. But, I did it all with my mama in mind. Giving birth to my brother in a hospital hallway, she developed pneumonia and died at 27. For her, I did it all.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Dec 6, 2010 8:29 PM

Rosetta LeNoire (August 8, 1911-March 17, 2002) was an American stage, screen, and television actress, as well as a Broadway producer and casting agent.

As a young girl, LeNoire suffered from rickets, which her godfather, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, helped her overcome by teaching her to dance.

LeNoire is best known to contemporary audiences for her work in television. She had regular roles on the series Gimme a Break! and Amen, and is best known for her role as grandmother Estelle Winslow on Family Matters.

In 1999, she was awarded the National Medal of Arts.[1]

The 1975 movie was "The Sunshine Boys", as Walter Matthau's nurse...

Thanks, Lana..

I was born in Chicago and worked for three years in the steel mills of Gary, Indiana before going to a teaching college in Arkansas where I was involved in dramatics. I was in a few Broadway shows before I joined the service. I went back to Broadway afterwards, then to Hollywood where I won an Oscar. I was better known for a TV role in a police TV series and a TV ad....Who am I ?

I'm a character actress from the UK. I came to Hollywood during the Golden Era.

I was utilized in literary classics, period pieces and horror films.

Among my directors were: John Ford, Billy Wilder, George Cukor and James Whale.

Do you Know Me?

Edited by: cujas on Dec 11, 2010 4:11 PM