Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Thanks.

?I was a constant supporting player in the late 1930s and throughout the 1940s. I was everywhere, including television. In all, I made over 200 appearances, but no one, save film buffs, really know me when they see me. I was in comedies and quickie ?b? mystery shorts, and I supported Ms. Davis and Ms. Stanwyck in melodramas. Although I was in a classic example of film noir that stood the test of time, people today probably pay me no notice, as I get shot early on.?

?Do you know me??

Thanks. Do you know me? I was from a show business family. Both my brother and I became movie actors. I specialized in playing sidekicks and second leads in many comedies and musicals in the thirties and forties. I spent quite a few years at Warner Bros. and I worked with all of their stars. I was a member of the so called "Irish Mafia" that included Pat O'Brien, James Cagney, and Spencer Tracy. I played cops, priests, reporters, stage managers, and small time gamblers, among many other roles. I was in a couple of Busby Berkeley musicals and I once played Bogart's partner in an espionage film. I played a priest in a movie with Bing Crosby, and later I worked with Bing on television. Do you know me?

Yes, I am. My brother Matt was also a character actor. I played a priest in "Going My Way" and twenty years later I worked with Bing again on his TV series. Pat O'Brien, James Cagney, and I all played brothers in "The Irish In Us". We all worked together many times. Good job, finance. Now you're up.

The first film for which I was listed as director was a '60s Western. When the film was released in 1969, I was singled out for praise by a NY Times critic.. I was listed as director for one other '60s film, and a number of '80s films. I have been an elusive figure in Hollywood, never being seen at industry events or parties.

Edited by: finance on Dec 15, 2010 3:59 PM

Hint: This is a very unusual "Do You Know Me".

Edited by: finance on Dec 16, 2010 11:19 AM

Edited by: finance on Dec 16, 2010 2:11 PM

Since no one's taken over, here goes:

?Born in NYC in 1921, I learned to love the theater at an early age. With bit parts, I made it into the movies, reprising roles I created on the stage. I only made 8 major motion pictures, but I was never forgotten, and I have won an Oscar for my memorable work, even beating out legendary actresses. I think they?re still talking about it somewhere. I emphasized on my musical career, when diagnosed with cancer and made a couple of records. The HUAC tried to question me, but I managed to confuse them and I was the only one who wasn?t compelled to name names or be actually blacklisted.?

?Do you know me??

Here?s one:

?I was born in Havana in 1903. I died in 1953, one year after being in what many consider the movie musical of all movie musicals.?

?Do you know me??

I was born in England in the early 20th century, and became a jockey, then a comic. I never broke through in the American market, but from 1936 to 1945, I was one of the top money makers for British exhibitors. I used a shy grin, slapstick, chirpy self-confidence, and resignation over my lack of sex appeal. I used a ukelele in my films.

His father James Booth used the stage name George Formby, adopted from the town of Formby, Lancashire, and was one of the great music hall comedians of his day, fully the equal of his son's later success....

Next:

I was barely a teen when I saw the Fred Astaire movie 'Flying Down to R?o (1933)' which would change my life. After graduating from high school, I joined the Sonja Henie Ice Show and toured for 3 years before joining the Army in World War II. After I was discharged, I appeared in a handful of movies in the late forties and worked in a number of musicals in the early 50s. I would probably be best known for my role of a cowboy twirling a lasso in a 1955 movie. After my movie days ended, I turned to directing including two Elvis Presley films. For Television, I directed episodes for "I Dream Of Jeannie", "Star Trek", "The Donna Reed Show" and others....Who am I ?