Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Good job, Dan. It didn't take you long. Brother Rat (cadet), The Wagons Roll at Midnight (lion tamer), Carrie (traveling salesman), Roman Holiday (photographer) plus numerous war movies (Attack, The Longest Day) and light comedies. Eddie Albert was definitely versatile and durable, living to be almost 100. Next time I'll make it a little harder. Your turn, Dan.

"Sally Fields, the others all had television shows also.( Cher, Helen Hunt and Shirley Jones)"

No. Sally Field won her second Oscar for PLACES IN THE HEART (1984). The next three winners were Geraldine Page, Marlee Matlin, and Cher.

So, no. Our mystery guest preceded the next three (3) consecutive winners, and they all have something in common besides the Oscar.

Who is she?

Dan N.

I think you are Maggie Smith, who won her second Oscar (Best Supporting Actress) in 1978. The thing you have in common with the three people who won in the 3 years after you is the same initials: (Meryl Streep, Mary Steenburgen, Maureen Stapleton).

Your best friend "Jude" is Judi Dench

Your Oscars were for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)--Best Actress and California Suite (1978)--Best Supporting

Your Emmy was for My House in Umbria (2003)--Best Actress in a Miniseries or Movie

Your Tony was for Lettice and Lovage (1990)--Best Actress

Okay, here goes nothing:

I was born in Illinois and began my movie acting career at a young age. I appeared in films with several of the top stars of the day, including Loretta Young, Claudette Colbert, Burt Lancaster, and Orson Wells, but I am best known for my work in television. In particular, I starred in a TV series alongside an actress with whom I had appeared in a film more than a dozen years earlier.

Who am I?

Thanks, pintorini... but I don't know about being "the master." I bombed spectacularly, on that question about Basil Rathbone.

Anyway: Here is a question I recently posted on another "Trivia" board. But it properly belongs here, on the "Do You Know Me?" board.

Who am I?

I was born to a wealthy South American family and debuted in Hollywood during the mid-1920s (silent films) but my career, which never quite attained "stardom" as we like to think of it, nevertheless spanned a quarter-century into sound movies. In one of my last roles I reprised a bit I had done in an earlier classic film, some 25 years before.

I had shed my baptismal name for a typical Hollywood anglo monicker. Folks tell me I was handsome and also an accomplished ballroom dancer. Definitely hispanic, I looked absolutely "gringo" throughout my career, therefore befitting my anglo professional name.

I made English and Spanish language films, though possessed of a thick Spanish accent and was featured in a Hispanic remake of a classic English horror film.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Okay, here goes nothing again ...

Born in Britain, I received two academy award nominations. The second nomination was for my role in a movie that helped to lessen the Hollywood stereotype that England was a bastion of snobbery and social privilege. I enjoyed a long film and stage career until my death at a ripe old age.

BTW, I am female.

Who am I?

Message was edited by: Me, because spell check is good.

pintorini

So, can anyone join in here? 'Cause I have one of my own. :-)

I started my career as a hoofer and was probably the king of the extras, appearing in over 200 films as such. Yet, I went on to a successful career as a leading man and even had my own television show. Who am I?

MM

The lady who was "born in Britain" and "enjoyed a long film and stage career until her death at a ripe old age" is probably Edith Evans. Perhaps we should say Dame Edith Evans, since she was knighted in 1946. She lived to 88.

Dame Edith was nominated as Best Supporting Actress for the 1963 film "Tom Jones," and if ever a movie "helped to lessen the Hollywood stereotype that England was a bastion of snobbery and social privilege," it has to be this one.

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

I started my career as a hoofer and was probably the king of the extras, appearing in over 200 films as such. Yet, I went on to a successful career as a leading man and even had my own television show. Who am I?

Ramon Novarro? Can't find he had a tv series all on his own, but did a lot of it.