Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

You must be Marceline Day. You appeared in "The Cameraman" with Buster Keaton and "The Beloved Rogue" with John Barrymore. You had an older sister, Alice Day, who was also an actress.

Thanks. Do you know me? I was a Broadway actor who came to Hollywood in the early thirties. I appeared in dramas, comedies, and an occasional horror movie. In the thirties and forties I was a leading man in some films and a second lead in most of the others. I worked with Greta Garbo, Irene Dunne, Joan Crawford, Boris Karloff, Barbara Stanwyck, and many others. I was an original member of the Screen Actors Guild. As I grew older, I became a character actor. I won two supporting Actor Oscars and was nominated for a third. I also was both a Tony and Emmy award winner. I did some TV work, including hosting a western anthology series for one summer. I worked in movies with stars of the day like Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, and Shirley MacLaine . I was active right up until my death. My second wife was a well known political figure. My granddaughter is a movie and TV actress today. Do you know me?

Robert Taylor? I recall he hosted "Death Valley Days" for a while. And he certainly appeared with Greta Garbo. But I can't make all the clues fit, including the occasional horror picture.

Yes, it's Melvyn Douglas. His son Gregory from his first marraige is the father of actress Illeana Douglas. Melvyn's second wife, Helen Gahagan, starred in one movie called "She" before getting into politics. She was a three term congresswoman from California and she ran against Richard Nixon for the Senate in 1950. Melvyn Douglas hosted a western series called "Fromtier Justice" for 11 episodes in the summer of 1959. His last movie was "Ghost Story" in 1981 with Fred Astaire and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. He won supporting Oscars for "Hud" and "Being There". Leanox, you get to post the next one.

Father was art editor for The Times (London) and mother was an actress.

I am known for my writing and art as well as acting. I was in a series of "Doctor" films. Some of my performances had been considered a gamble, possibly injurious to my career. Actors I have worked with include Alec Guiness and Julie Christie.

Who am I ?

Edited by: Leanox on Feb 11, 2011 7:35 PM

Thanks.

?I am known for my very deep and strong voice, and for my career in historical movies, biblical movies, british films, and adventures. I?ve worked with Yul Brynner, Robert Stack, and John Wayne. One of my favorite british films was made entirely in the studio. Watching it though, you?d never believe it.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Feb 11, 2011 9:21 PM

?No, I?m not Charlton Heston. My name is not known to most people. I was born in 1908 in London and acted first in theater in 1932. The british film I made reference to took place near some famous mountains, but was made entirely in the movie studio. But the evil came from no animal, no beast of the wild outdoors, but instead from the least likely place.?

?Do you know me and this landmark film??

I first appeared on stage at five years old. During my teens I was at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, but because of the uncertainty of income from acting, I spent a few years as a factory welfare officer. Nevertheless, a friend convinced me to return to the theater and by the time I was thirty I was acting at the Old Vic and playing Lady Macbeth.I started in Hollywood in 1931 and through the years played a few royal monarchs. Returning to the London Stage and Broadway, I was in a few Shakespearean dramas and reprised my role as Lady Macbeth. After bring awarded the Dame Commander of the British Empire, I was in a film playing a smoking Member of Parliament and arguing with Sir Richard Attenborough...I again played a nun in a great comedy hit in 1965. My penultimate movie was the original "Clash Of The Titans"...Who Me?

?In my heyday, I was seen everywhere and anywhere, as a dependable supporting actor, in the movies and on tv. Most recently, I was seen on a long?running tv commercial, waiting and waiting. My daughter had a recurring role on a hit 1970s tv show, where she was really obnoxious. I was so proud of her. Who doesn?t remember the toothbrush? What a gas!?

?Do you know me and my daughter??

?Born in Brooklyn in 1875, I started acting in the movies when I was 59 and made 38 films in 8 years, from 1934 to 1942. I was featured in movies with Irene Dunne, Shirley Temple, and Alice Faye. Needless to say, I was most times than not, a doting grandmother or kind aunt or something of that sort. But not always. I had a sharp tongue when needed.?

?Do you know me??