Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Yep. Robert J. Wilke, a familiar face. He was in "High Noon" as one of the heavies and in "From Here To Eternity"...Your turn.

I was a song and dance man of early '50s MGM musicals after an early career as a nightclub magician and Broadway performer. I subsequently appeared in a number of non-musical films, then went back to the stage and began writing mystery novels, returning to the screen only occasionally.

Edited by: finance on Mar 28, 2011 4:08 PM

Prominent in stage and radio. Started his film career in 1949. TV later in his career.

Known as a talented leading man; strong, leading man, not necessarily a tough guy. Also helped struggling actors in achieving their big break.

Worked with Joan Crawford, Audie Murphy, Victor Mature, Susan Hayward.

Thanks.

"I was born in Ohio in 1909 and was a steelworker before I made it on the stage in New York. I made my way into movies and didn't mind what they gave me to do, as long as the role had meat to it. I never bit the hand that fed me. I've been in film noir, action, historical, adventures, westerns, you name it. I was prolific in television and radio, also. I was in two movie versions of the same story, in 1949 and 1974, based on an American novel, and I played a President at least once. Unfortunately, I was blacklisted and Robert Taylor even singled me out. I was out of work for ten years, but bounced back. I've been nominated for a Tony, too. I've worked with Ronald Reagan, Gary Cooper, Alan Ladd, and Ray Milland."

"Do you know me?"

I had great success as an ensemble member of one of America's classic sitcoms in the 1960's.

And I did lots of TV in the '50's and 60's.

But I actually started in movies--I appeared in a Gregory Peck movie, a movie starring Jack Lemon and supported Dick Powell in his last film role.

You may not remember my name, but everybody knows my face.

Do you know me?

You're hot and cold. But I don't remember this guy (Vigran) being a regular on a classic '60's sitcom. But stay with Dick Powell.

Edited by: cujas on Apr 4, 2011 3:46 PM

I'm sorry--I should have made it clear we're talking about a guy here.

Think that guy was in the police drama "The Naked City".

The actor I described mainly did comedy--has a very familiar face. And most Americans know all about the classic TV sitcom that he was a regular in--it was an ensemble cast. Also, The show's 2 stars both had movie careers.