Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Hint: I may have been the hoofer's choreographer because I worked both with Kelly and Astaire.

I even directed. And aside from my landmark choreography on Broadway and in Hollywood, I'm best known for dancing with Garbo in a movie.

(See originial question below)

Edited by: cujas on Apr 27, 2011 6:44 PM

Last call for one of the least known but most trusted choreographer of the Golden Era of both Broadway and Hollywood.

Dance in a movie with Garbo.

Worked with both Astaire and Kelly.

Actually discovered Kelly.

Died while choreographing the movie "Pal Joey".

Last call for one of the least known but most trusted choreographer of the Golden Era of both Broadway and Hollywood.

Dance in a movie with Garbo.

Worked with both Astaire and Kelly.

Actually discovered Kelly.

Died while choreographing the movie "Pal Joey".

see below for even more details on this dance legend.

Here's one:

?Born in New York into a family of entertainers, I started out early myself in silent pictures at a young age. Despite my energetic and much praised performances in comedies on stage, I loved to try other things and was Cordelia in Shakespeare?s King Lear. I made 37 films for Hollywood from 1930 to 1940, where I was usually seen as a society lady who?s married but still has eyes for other men. I worked with Kay Francis, Warren William, Edward G. Robinson, and Jeanette MacDonald. I married in 1938 and retired in 1940, leaving the working life behind.?

?Do you know me??

"Born in New York into a family of entertainers, I started out early myself in silent pictures at a young age. Despite my energetic and much praised performances in comedies on stage, I loved to try other things and was Cordelia in Shakespeare's King Lear. I made 37 films for Hollywood from 1930 to 1940, where I was usually seen as a society lady who's married but still has eyes for other men. I worked with Kay Francis, Warren William, Edward G. Robinson, and Jeanette MacDonald. I married in 1938 and retired in 1940, leaving the working life behind.My most remembered film was made in 1936 about a man on the run."

"Do you know me?"

"Born in New York into a family of entertainers, I started out early myself in silent pictures at a young age. Despite my energetic and much praised performances in comedies on stage, I loved to try other things and was Cordelia in Shakespeare's King Lear. I made 37 films for Hollywood from 1930 to 1940, where I was usually seen as a society lady who's married but still has eyes for other men. I worked with Kay Francis, Warren William, Edward G. Robinson, and Jeanette MacDonald. I married in 1938 and retired in 1940, leaving the working life behind.My most remembered film was made in 1936 about a man on the run."

"Do you know me?"

Let's try again:

"Born in New York into a family of entertainers, I started out early myself in silent pictures at a young age. Despite my energetic and much praised performances in comedies on stage, I loved to try other things and was Cordelia in Shakespeare's King Lear. I made 37 films for Hollywood from 1930 to 1940, where I was usually seen as a society lady who's married but still has eyes for other men. I worked with Kay Francis, Warren William, Edward G. Robinson, and Jeanette MacDonald. I married in 1938 and retired in 1940, leaving the working life behind.I was featured in No Time for Comedy, One Hour with You, and The Petrified Forest."

"Do you know me?"

I made my stage debut in the late '30s, and also did ballet and nightclub singing before debuting on Broadway in the early '40s. My film career was short but memorable, enlivening 5 musicals from one studio with my singing, dancing, and humor. I was then blacklisted because of a spousal connection, and only returned for one more memorable film.

Edited by: finance on May 5, 2011 6:34 PM

Thanks. Do you know me? I was one of Hollywood's best loved character actors, although as a young man that was not my ultimate career goal. I was a practicing dentist in Oregon, as was my wife. In 1937, we moved to California and somehow I became an amateur actor at the Pasadena Summer Playhouse. I caught the attention of some movie people and in 1939 I landed my first small movie role as a bartender. Within just a few years, I had turned over the practice to my wife because I was in such demand as an actor. I appeared in lots of westerns and comedies, often playing characters who were older than I actually was. I worked with Cary Grant, Errol Flynn, William Holden, and many others. I worked with Glenn Ford many times over the years. I even played Friar Tuck in a Robin Hood movie. I often played western sidekicks, judges, storekeepers, and even an occasional villain. In the early fifties I played the sidekick of a well known cowboy star in his TV series. I then got my own western series. It was probably the only time I played the lead. In the sixties I landed the role on a TV sitcom for which I am best remembered, although on the show I really didn't have a regular job. I was just a not too bright relative who hung around the family. The show lasted a long time and in the seventies, I worked in a movie with one of my co-stars from the show. It was my last film appearance. Do you know me?

Yes, I am known to some as Uncle Joe, who's movin' kinda slow at the junction, Petticoat Junction. The co-star in my last movie was Higgins, the dog who played the title role in "Benji". The cowboy I was a sidekick with was Hopalong Cassidy in the early fifties, and my own show was "Judge Roy Bean". Your up next, finance.

I was born in Europe, and was a music hall performer there from age 16. I appeared in European silent films, then went to Hollywood at the invitation of Sam Goldwyn. I played leads in a number of early talkies, but then married a soon-to-be screen icon and retired.

Edited by: finance on May 10, 2011 5:54 PM

Hint: My "screen icon" husband has been heavily discussed on these boards.

Edited by: finance on May 11, 2011 4:41 PM

Lili Damita?

It's ironic, you post her, when after reading about others being posted recently, I thought about posting her myself. This is first time I read yesterday's original post and I immediately thought of her. But, have been very busy this week. That's why I've not been on as much.

Thanks.

"Born in Egypt, I made my first appearance in films in a 1927 silent in Hollywood. In the 1930s, I was cast in what would be considered the quintessential screwball comedy. In my movies, I was usually a very dapper gentleman, sometimes with a presumed scandalous reputation, other times rather eccentric. In the 1960s and 1970s I appeared in films for directors Fuller, Meyer, and Corman."

"Do you know me?"