Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

I began a stage career in 1919 that included many distinguished Broadway roles. I made my screen debut in 1937 and appeared regularly in character roles from 1943 to 1951, when I was blacklisted. I was in a few noirs, was also in films with Robinson and Boyer, and was in a composer bio.

I, like Morris, started my acting career on the stage. The Old Vic was my old stomping grounds and I would go back there from time to time. You would not be wrong to assume just who some of my friends were in the theater group. We worked in films together, too. In my films, I was usually cast as the villain, or sometimes just self-absorbed people, with an uppity nature and/or a crabby disposition. I am remembered mostly for a film I made in 1941. Do you know me from this description?

Edited by: allaboutlana on May 16, 2011 4:03 PM

Yes. Very good! Now it's you turn to post one. Just read a few, if you like, to see how it goes and make one of your own.

A native Texan from a wealthy family, I was on my way to a career in medicine when the acting bug bit me. I honed my skills on the English stage before returning to America and beginning a theatre career here as well. I made my screen debut in the mid-forties, usually playing suave (if somewhat shady) character. My film career was brief but noteworthy: one of my early films was a multiple nominee for various awards and my costar won an Oscar. When Hollywood let me down I turned to television acting, where I remained until my untimely death at the age of 51. Who am I?

My second wife had minor acting roles in "The Keys of the Kingdom", "The Lady is Willing" and "Dragonwyck".

I was born in Elizabeth, Louisiana, a far cry from Hollywood, but I made it. From 1942 to 1948, I was in 18 films, and was seen in films with John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, and Errol Flynn. I was at one time married to a president's son and together we interviewed Stalin. I became an ever-present celebrity of 1950s television, and I was considered by many to be the best-dressed woman on tv. Do you know me?

I was born in Elizabeth, Louisiana, a far cry from Hollywood, but I made it. From 1942 to 1948, I was in 18 films, and was in *Between Two Worlds* and *Nobody Lives Forever* with John Garfield. I was at one time married to a president's son and together we interviewed Stalin. I became an ever-present celebrity of 1950s television, and I was considered by many to be the best-dressed woman on tv. Do you know me?

Primarily known as a stage actress, I studied acting at Radcliffe College. My husband died in the flu epidemic of 1918-19, leaving me a widow at the age of 35. I never remarried and turned my back on the theatre for awhile but finally returned to my career with great success. I recreated two of my most famous Broadway roles on the silver screen, first in 1944 and then in 1950. Following my very brief film career, I did some work in television during the fifties. I died in 1957 of a brain hemorrhage.