Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I made my stage debut early in the 20th century, made a few silents in the 1910s, returned to the stage, and resumed my screen career in early talkies. I played character roles in many films, often in kind, dominating motherly roles. I am particularly known for one landmark film, and was in several films of one of the very top directors.

OK. I hope this isn't too difficult. I am a popular singing star of the 50's. Some people do not take me too seriously, since I've done a lot of novelty songs, in addition to ballads. I only made one movie, a musical, and played one of four sisters. Who am I?

I was on the stage a long time, before the movies. I made a couple of movies in the 1930s, but got into the swing of it in 1942 in my 50s, and I acted for 13 years. My characters usually had a carefree attitude about tomorrow and never appeared to be ruffled about anything. I left Hollywood in 1955, leaving my most famous role to someone else. Do you know me?

I was the patriarch in a long-running comedy movie series, with a lot of kids, a lot. I was in movies in the 1940s with Jack Benny, Jeanne Crain, and Claudette Colbert, also.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jun 1, 2011 5:27 PM

This actor is little known, but recognized as a gem of a performer.

He is associated in film with Alfred Hitchcock (including the TV show), top westerns and rock 'n roll movies.

Although he worked a great deal in both movies and TV, he started in the Broadway theatre and won a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor.

Hint: He appeared in two films starring James Garner.