Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

This lady played her share of mothers, but she's best remembered for being a non-traditional mother. In 2 1950's classsic films-- and I do mean classic as in masterpiece --she played her personal style of motherhood: blue-blooded, dress to the nines and a bit self-centered.

Her career, which started in Chicago, spanned the Broadway and London stages, to Hollywood movies and TV.

Would you be Jessie Royce Landis, who worked with Alfred Hitchcock in both "To Catch A Thief" and "North By Northwest"?

Yes, as the NYT said in her obit--she was truly an international star. and only 7 years older than Cary Grant--her "son" in "Northwest"

Miles' turn--

Thanks. Do you know me? When I was about twenty-one, I was in a movie where Lee J. Cobb played my father. Lee was actually twenty-nine at the time. I went on to have a long career as a leading man. In my later years I played a cop in a TV series. I was also a close friend of Barbara Stanwyck, with whom I worked early in my career. That's enough to go on. Do you know me?

You are: William Holden.

You were 21 years of age when you starred in "Golden Boy" (1939), in which film Lee J. Cobb, only twenty-nine, played your father.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks, Miles.

Do you know me? I am an American actress who began her career on Broadway. I was in a play in which I portrayed several different parts. In films, I was in a Jennifer Aniston movie, though she and I did not share any scenes together.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Hi... I'm bumping this one, because I think it's a good subject and should not be ignored as it has been.

Do you know me? I am an American actress who began her career on Broadway. I was in a play in which I portrayed several different parts. In films, I was in a Jennifer Aniston movie, though she and I did not share any scenes together.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Can you name some classic actors, actress or classic films associated with this personnage in keeping with the general classic tone of the Website?

Fortunately, or unfortunately I've never seen a film starring Miss Aniston.

cujas wrote:

Can you name some classic actors, actress or classic films associated with this personnage in keeping with the general classic tone of the Website?

Fortunately, or unfortunately I've never seen a film starring Miss Aniston.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I can.

David Morrissey, the British actor who has made a name for himself in the classics, appears in one of my films.

Mr. Morrissey has appeared in several TV productions including *Sense & Sensibility* (2008) and *Agatha Christie's Poirot* (2010).

Although I am 100 per cent American, I seem to be in a lot of films with British actors. In addition to David Morrissey, I have also appeared in a film with the elegant English actress Frances O'Connor.

Cheers,

Dan

Workin' hard, tryin' to keep this topic on Page One...

Who am I?

I thought a bunch of you guys would jump on that one, but alas. It didn't happen. So I've added these other clues:

I have been in films with some of England's best actors and actresses. Two of them are David Morrissey and Frances O'Connor.

Here is a new clue:

In addition to Morrissey and Ms. O'Connor, I have been in a film with a Brit who is usually considered an American because of his bearing and his flawless American accent; but he is, truly, a subject of the crown. Name him, and you'll know my name too.

Cheers,

Dan

Workin' hard, tryin' to keep this topic on Page One...

Who am I?

I thought a bunch of you guys would jump on that one, but alas. It didn't happen. So I've added these other clues:

I have been in films with some of England's best actors and actresses. Two of them are David Morrissey and Frances O'Connor.

Here is a new clue:

In addition to Morrissey and Ms. O'Connor, I have been in a film with a Brit who is usually considered an American because of his bearing and his flawless American accent; but he is, truly, a subject of the crown. Name him, and you'll know my name too.

Cheers,

Dan

WHAT does a person have to do, to get you guys to submit some guesses?

Okay, here goes... AGAIN.

I have also appeared in a film with an actor who is usually considered an American because of his bearing and his flawless American accent. Nevertheless, he is truly a subject of the crown. In fact, word is that he was (briefly) considered for the role of 007, before the producers decided on Daniel Craig.

Name him, and you'll know who I am.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

P.S.: I will continue to post this message here, day after day after day, until somebody comes up with a guess. A person can only be ignored for so long.

D.

No, not Christine Ebersole, but I commend you for the excellent guess. Jennifer Aniston did have a small role in two of CE's early films.

Here is the question, again.

I have also appeared in a film with an actor who is usually considered an American because of his bearing and his flawless American accent. Nevertheless, he is truly a subject of the crown. In fact, word is that he was (briefly) considered for the role of 007, before the producers decided on Daniel Craig.

Your guess warrants another clue, so here it is:

In the film where Jennifer Aniston and I both appear, I was a CHILD.

Also, don't forget: I said that I was on Broadway in a play in which I played several different roles. I thought that surely, someone would jump on that clue and come up with the obvious answer.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Bumping this.

I have also appeared in a film with an actor who is usually considered an American, but he is truly a subject of the crown. In fact, word is that he was (briefly) considered for the role of 007, before the producers decided on Daniel Craig.

New clue:

Also, don't forget: I said that I was on Broadway in a play in which I played several different roles. I thought that surely, someone would jump on that clue and come up with the obvious answer.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

P.S.: I will continue to post this message here, day after day after day, until somebody comes up with a guess. A person can only be ignored for so long.

Okay, Dan, I'm just gonna jump in and say it, and please don't take this the wrong way:

I have no idea who your mystery person is, and the reason I think we're all having trouble is because this person doesn't appear to have anything to do with "classic" movies. Jennifer Aniston, herself only 42 years old, has only been making films since 1988, so someone who was a child in one of her movies is unlikely to have appeared in a film that someone on *this* website would consider "classic" (not to be confused with a classically trained actor or an actor who has performed in a recent adaptation of a literary classic).

I'm sure these are all great clues you've given, and I'm intrigued to learn who this personage might be.......but there are some pretty film-savvy folks on this site (and I'm not referring to myself) and they would have gotten the answer by now if it was so "obvious".

So why don't you throw us another bone, containing any possible classic movie connection (if there is one), and we'll try to work it out.

Regards,

soo

No, sorry, not Kelly MacDonald.

I wonder why you selected her?

I've said that I am an American actress, but Ms. MacDonald was born in Scotland.

To repeat:

I have also appeared in a film with an actor who is usually considered an American, but he is truly a subject of the crown. In fact, word is that he was (briefly) considered for the role of 007, before the producers decided on Daniel Craig.

New clue:

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

P.S.: In answer to the person who signs himself (or herself) "soo":

The Broadway play that I referred to was nominated for Best Musical at the Tonys. And the lead actress did win the Tony. So I don't think you can say I was not in anything "classic."

Okay, one more clue and then I am pulling the plug on this one:

My most popular leading man, so far, is David Duchovny.

Now, if THAT doesn't lead to a torrent of correct answers, then you guys are all in the wrong game.

Cheers,

D.

Bumping this.

To repeat:

I have been in films with some of England's finest actors and actresses. Two of them are David Morrissey and Frances O'Connor.

I have also appeared in a film with an actor who is usually considered an American, but he is truly a subject of the crown. In fact, word is that he was (briefly) considered for the role of Agent 007, before the producers decided on Daniel Craig.

New clue:

My most popular leading man, so far, is David Duchovny.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan