Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Good guess, but no. But I was in *The Women* with her (in a smaller part.) But that was not the classic comedy I was referring to in 1936.

{font:Calibri}"I was born in New Orleans in 1890 and would have the reputation of playing older than myself on the stage and in films. In fact in my stage debut at the age of 20 I played an old lady. I starred with Bette Davis in a classic weeper in 1939 and starred in a classic comedy with four big names in 1936. But my most memorable role was as a nagging wife to a noted comedian. Despite the onscreen animosity, we got along famously and we kept up a correspondence afterwards."{font}

{font:Calibri}"Do you know me?"{font}

Any more guesses?

Thanks, Lana. Cora's "classic weeper" was "Dark Victory". Now, do you know me? I was born the youngest of thirteen children to a vaudeville family of Hawaiian descent. I could sing, dance, and act. In the mid-thirties I was a contract player for a major studio, but I was used mostly as a specialty singer, rather than as a featured star. Oh, I had some supporting roles, sometimes playing the "other woman", or the star's girlfriend. I was fortunate to be able to introduce some very well known songs, such as "The Lady In Red" and "I'm Dancing With Tears In My Eyes". I was part of a group that sang "Too Marvelous For Words". I was in a Torchy Blane movie where I sang "Why Do I Have To Sing A Torch Song?". I knew my career was winding down when I was in a picture where the leading man got to sing the hit song "September In The Rain", and my number was called "Jose O'Neill, The Cuban Heel". By the end of the thirties, my career was over, but I'll always be remembered for introducing the Oscar winning song "The Lullaby Of Broadway". You probably know me now. Do You?

Yes, My original name was Winifred Lei Momi. I guess that "Lullaby Of Broadway" clue really made it easy. That was the only record that I ever made while at Warners. On the flip side was "I'm Goin' Shopping With You", which was sung in the movie by Dick Powell and Gloria Stuart. Did you know, when we were making the picture "Goldiggers Of 1935", Al Jolson was making "Go Into Your Dance" with his wife, Ruby Keeler, on another soundstage. When he heard the song "Lullaby Of Broadway", he went to the producers and practically demanded that the song be used in his movie instead of ours, but his request got turned down. Imagine, the star who had put Warner Bros. pictures on the map, getting turned down! Al only made one more picture for Warners before leaving when his contract ran out. Ruby also left when her contract was up. I persevered until 1939, when all I could get was work in short films. It can be a tough business! Okay, finance, I gave you an easy one. What can you come up with?

I was raised in London. Follwing a mid-'30s Broadway debut, I went to Hollywood, where for the next 20 years I played smooth, suave leads, often as a swashbuckling hero of period adventure films. I later starred in 3 TV series.

{font:Calibri}Thanks.

"I cowrote screenplays and adapted novels into films with my husband from 1948 to 1989. We were nominated twice for Oscars, but didn’t win. One of the films features both a Best Actress performance and Best Supporting Actor in the 1960s, and the other featured a Best Actress performance in the 1970s. Another featured the only nominated performance by a very underrated actor in a 1980s film. If you watched the films we had a hand in, you would see a lot of similarities: the Deep South, drifters, the lives of a hard workin’ people. Do you recognize any of the films? Do you know my husband and I?"{font}

I was thinking it was Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett, but they don't fit your time frame. Comden and Green weren't married. Is it Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin?

No, it's not them. Our last project in the 1980s featured the last performance for a certain actress, until her 2005 return to films.

Yes. My next clue would have been that Paul Newman starred in three of their movies. Some of the films they wrote or adapted were *Hud, Norma Rae, Murphy's Romance, Stanley & Iris, The Dark at the Top of the Stairs, The Sound and the Fury, The Reivers, Hombre, Home from the Hill and The Long, Hot Summer.* I believe her name in movie credits as listed as Harriet Frank, Jr., which is unusual. I wanted to find out who that was, after seeing Hud recently. Your turn.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 18, 2011 4:01 PM

I was a decorated GI during WW II. I made my film debut in the late '40s, and became one of Hollywood's leading heavies, though I occasionally played good guys. I twice played a well-known mobster, and starred in a '60s TV series.

Edited by: finance on Jul 20, 2011 4:29 PM

Neville Brand was Al Capone on "The Untouchables".

and co-starred in "Laredo".

I married a movie star in the '30's before he was a star. You see we acted together; I'm an actress too. We had one child together before we divorced. My husband was a very big star in the late 40's and early 50's. The film that we co-starred in together was a noir directed by a famous European director who, like many others settled in Hollywood due to the war.

Do You Know Me?