Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

• 4 weeks later...

{font:Calibri}"I started out in tv in the late 1950s and made my film debut in 1958. My busiest time in films was in the 1960s, but I am most remembered for a classic tv show of the 1970s. But I have remained active on stage throughout my whole career. I think I was referred to at one point as the thinking man’s beauty. I can be seen in movies starring Steve McQueen, George Hamilton, and James Garner."{font}

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Some of you may know that Anne Baxter was the granddaughter of architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Later in life, she married a stockbroker and they renovated a sprawling estate in Connecticut, making the home architecturally reminiscent of some of her grandfather's work. In the early eighties Anne Baxter had a recurring role on the TV series "Hotel", and one of the guest stars was her old "All About Eve" co-star, Bette Davis. Just a little trivia for you!

Now, here's one that should be fairly easy. Instead of "Do You Know Me?", this one will be "Do You Know Us?". We were a dance team once known as "The Baby Astaires". Who are we?

Yes, Buddy and Vilma were a vaudeville and Broadway dance team. Vilma appeared in only one picture, "Broadway Melody Of 1936". L.B. Mayer split them up. She went back to New York and did one more show that ran a few months in 1938, then she retired. She later became a dance instuctor. Buddy had a very long career that took him through musicals and westerns to TV shows like "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Barnaby Jones". Buddy was going to be Walt Disney's choice to play Davy Crockett on Walt's TV show in the fifties, but once Walt saw Fess Parker's audition, he changed his mind and Buddy was given the role of Davy's friend, George Russell. Of course, they were called "The Baby Astaires" because they were a brother and sister team, much like Fred Astaire and his sister Adele. It's your turn now, finance.

{font:Calibri}"I made my first film in 1954, but it was a 1962 film that gave me my big break and the 1960s were very good to me. I was in notable tv productions in the 1980s and I have worked steadily in the 2000s, too, starring in adventures, biblical stories and foreign films. I have worked with some of the best actors in the industry, starring in some big movies in my career, BIG. Some of my costars have been Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, Julie Andrews, and Jack Palance. Do you know me?"{font}

Thanks, Do you know me? I was just a teenager when I was hosting a children's radio program on a small station in the midwest. I was a talented singer/songwriter and I could play a variety of musical instruments. I was asked to go to Chicago to play accordion and guitar for a national show called "The Old Barn Dance". I backed up their most popular singing star. He and I became good friends and when he got a call to go to Hollywood, he brought me along. I had bit parts in my first few pictures with him, usually playing an instument and providing some silly comic relief. I even had a few parts in pictures without him. Eventually, our studio, Mascot, became part of Republic Pictures and my pal and I became a team for about seven years and a whole lot of "B" westerns. When he went into the army, I worked with other cowboy stars. I moved to Columbia pictures and partnered with Charles Starrett for a number of years before rejoining my old friend for his last few pictures in the 50's. In the sixties, I was on a popular sitcom set in a rural area. It was while I was doing that series that I died of leukemia just before my 56th birthday. Do you know me?