Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Tryin' one here...

Do you know me? Sizable in movies, Big in television. An aprocryphal joke about me made the rounds. It was popular because those hearing it thought it made a valid point. The joke goes:

I get a telephone call.

ME (answering) "Hello."

VOICE "Hello, Mr. ______, this is Charles Dickens."

Me "You know I never talk to writers." ( I hang up.)

Who am I?

WOW! Didn't look that one up, was just thinking about those great comedians and remembering that Dean and Jackie hated to rehearse. Wouldn't it great to get paid for not going to work for someone else. Does wonders not only for the pocket, but for the ego. That quote is very funny. Be back later :)

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Oct 17, 2011 11:58 AM

You are referring to the Watson brothers. Bobs Watson was the best known. He played Pee Wee in "Boys Town". Four of his brothers, Billy, Harry, Garry, and Delmar, appeared in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington". Delmar played Peter, the goat herder in "Heidi" with Shirley Temple. Various combinations of the brothers were in such films as "In Old Chicago", "Mary Of Scotland", "Showboat", "Kidnapped" and "Life Begins At Forty". They had another brother, Coy, and three sisters, Gloria, Vivian, and Louise, who also appeared in some movies.

Correct, Miles. 6 Boys, 3 Girls.I was specifically looking for Bobs Watson as Pee-Wee in *Boys Town* , *Men of Boys Town* , and **** in *On Borrowed Time* . He was not in *Mr. Smith Goes To Washington* , however 4 of his brothers, Delmar, Harry, Billy and Garry did all appear in *Mr. Smith Goes To Washington* . Bobs was the most famous of the boys. His 3 sisters Gloria, Vivian and Louise all appeared in a 1928 film *Taxi 13* . The sisters did appear in some TV series.

Next time anyone views *Mr. Smith Goes To Washington* pay attention to the credits, 4 of the 6 brothers are listed.

Extra Credit Miles. Your thread.

Thanks, I sure could use that extra credit. I wouldn't want to fall behind some of my classmates here. Now, continuing with the sibling theme, there was a pair of brothers who were child actors and later adult actors for many years. The older boy actually started in the late thirties. He had much the better movie career. He worked with Shirley Temple, Margaret O'Brien, and even the previously mentioned Bobs Watson. He also appeared with some of the top adult stars of the day, including Henry Fonda, Spencer Tracy, Barbara Stanwyck, Alan Ladd, and Cornel Wilde. As a young adult he continued working in some movies, but mostly in TV guest roles. He worked right through the 1990's, although he had long before gone into the production side of the business. He even became an acting teacher.

The younger brother made his feature debut with his big brother in the mid-forties. They would only appear together in one other movie. The younger boy was a regular in a movie series about a boy and his dog, playing a friend of the star. As a young adult, he became a regular on a TV sitcom that starred a well known movie star. That led to him getting his own sitcom as a sex-obsessed teenager (aren't they all?), who would frequently talk to the audience. He was actually in his mid-twenties at the time. The older brother guested a few times on the show, but those would be their last appearances together. After that series was over, the younger brother continued to act for many years in both TV and movies, usually in lightweight comedies. His full time job, however, was as a network programmer. Because of his TV series, he is probably the better known of the two. Can you name these two acting brothers?

Yes, it's the Hickman brothers. Darryl was in a lot of "A" list movies including "The Grapes Of Wrath", "Meet Me in St. Louis", "Leave Her To Heaven", and "The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers". He was also in "Men Of Boys Town" with Bobs Watson, and "A Kiss For Corliss", one of Shirley Temple's last movies. The brothers appeared together in "Captain Eddie" and "The Happy Years". Younger brother Dwayne appeared in the Rusty the dog series with Ted Donaldson in the forties. In the fifties he became a regular on "The Bob Cummings Show", also known as "Love That Bob". That led to the Dobie Gillis series a few years later. Good job, sixes. You're up next.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Sixes.

Let's see if you know me. Big career, well-known name from film, radio and TV. One day I was driving through a trendy shopping district of Beverly Hills, and I pulled over and parked. Once there, I realized that I had absolutely no reason to stop, except that I had spotted an excellent parking space in a place where good parking spaces were rare. After thinking it over, I went to a nearby tobacco shop, and purchased a box of cigars. I mailed them to a friend who was then working in New York. With the package was a message: If he could figure out why I happened to have that box of cigars, I would buy him a dinner. This is reporded by a biographer.

Do you know who I am?

Correct. Biographer Milt Josefsberg (who worked as writer, producer, etc. for shows from The Jack Benny Program to Archie Bunker's Place ) included that story in a chapter of anecdotes that seemed to prove that Mr. Benny's invented-for-radio-and-TV personality sometimes appeared to take over his everyday life.

skipper's thread.

I figured Jack Benny would take an available spot for free to save on expensive parking fees although he has no particular destination in mind.

Next: This actor acquired his distinctive voice when as a child he fell down while running and biting a stick, puncturing the roof of his mouth...Actor?