Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Thanks. Do you know me? I was originally from the midwest. Shortly after World War II, I was making and selling jewelry for a living. I would try to sell some at parties, often mixing in some comedy monologues to help get everone's attention. That led to some night club work and eventually I appeared on "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts". Although I didn't win, I was noticed and was asked to do some acting on TV. I played a policeman on a live TV drama and that led to me being offered the lead on a sitcom where I played a teacher. My character was always thought to be a likeable guy, but very much what some would call a nerd. I did lots of TV guest appearances in the years to follow, including the first episode of "Mission Impossible". I also did some supporting roles in several movies. Many people remember me as the voice of a well known cartoon character on a long runningTV show. I was also a guest on various game shows, and I appeared very often on "The Hollywood Squares". That's enough about me for now. Do you know me?

Yes I am. I was known for the "Mr. Peepers" TV series. On the first episode of "Mission Impossible", muscle man Peter Lupus actually carried me in a suitcase. I was one of the early regulars on "Hollywood Squares". I was a boyhood friend of Marlon Brando and we roomed together for a time in New York. OK, finance, the thread is yours.

She was a child actress in the early 30's. She had some support roles until she landed a good role in a film adaptation of a famous play. She was nominated for a best Support Oscar for the film. 5 years later she was the lead in a film that had 3 sequels. This lead to a support role in a very famous, loved 1942 film. Many support roles and TV appearances followed.She was a TV producer to a much loved series that ran for over a decade. Do you know her?

Yes, I am. I knew the last clue would do it. Loved those Nancy Drews as a kid. Of course the Oscar nominated role was for the dreadful, malicious kid who liked to destroy reputations, Mary, in *These Three* that was remade as *The Children's Hour* . She was Bette's niece in *Now, Voyager* and showed up in a couple of *Andy Hardy* films. Her acting career fizzled and she turned to TV. She produced Lassie on TV. Unfortunately, she passed at a relatively young age, 65. Good job Ms. Lana. Your thread.

Her sister, Hayley, won an honorary Oscar (miniature statuette) in 1960 for the most outstanding juvenile performance in *Pollyana*. Their father, John, won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 1970 for *Ryan's* *Daughter.* And Juliet Mills is 18 years older than her husband, Maxwell Caufield.

Thread is open.

This lady had a contract at Metro during the hey days of the late 30's and 40's, but she never really caught on with starring roles. However, she was featured in some top movies there, which starred the A list stars.

She later was featured in several popular Movie Soaps in the '50's and early '60's. Then later she went on, very successfully, to TV work.

If you want a hint: she was the on again/off-again love interest of one of Hollywood's Biggest Stars. (I'm not joking here--go right to the top.)

Thanks, finance.

Do you know me? I do not work in front of the camera, and my face is not well known. My family name is familiar though. But a fictional character with a life based on my experiences has been a cultural icon for decades. Stage>screen>TV sitcom, and the stage piece is still a road company staple.

Do you know me?

lavender and finance;

True, Danny Simon is the inspiration for that well-known fussbudget Felix Unger. Per the info I picked up, Danny Simon roomed with two other guys after his divorce -- one Felix vs two Oscars. Danny -- an accomplished comedy writer in his own right -- made an attempt to write this up, but turned it over to Neil, who put it in it's final form. I found no reference to Oscar representing one individual.

lavender's thread, and good work :)

a final commentary from Danny Simon himself:

"There have been more plays written about me than about Abraham Lincoln, Joan of Arc, and Julius Caesar all put together."

...And adding up all versions and all episodes of *The Odd Couple*, that's probably right.

"I was born in 1874 in England, where I acted on the stage. I made my way on to the Broadway stage and from there I stayed very busy in American films from 1933 to 1949. I was in four Greer Garson films, a Hitchcock film, and can be seen on American tv sets about this time of year in a film that a lot of people can't get enough of. Do you know me?"