Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

> > Are you Alice Brady, daughter of William A. Brady?

>

>

> Fantastic! Got it in one.

>

> How about giving us one to ponder?

Okay. That was a lot easier than your last one. How about an easy one?

I ran away from home at the age of 12 to join the circus. Eventually, I made my way into Vaudeville where I perfected a popular routine. I was 40 years old when I signed my first movie contract and it was not long before I was teamed with a writer/director that helped me perfect my character. We made several very successful pictures together. However, I got greedy and wanted it all for myself. So, I fired the writer/director and struck out on my own. This turned out to be a huge mistake and my career never recovered. By the time I died, I was relegated to small parts and even served as a writer for a popular comedy team.

Who am I?

Okay. I have a million of 'em. :-)

This one might be a little tougher.

My first film was a reprisal of an enormously popular Broadway play. I had the lead in both the play and the movie. This film contained 2-color Technicolor sequences that have since been lost. The title of this pre-Production Code film had to be changed to get it past the censors. I also appeared in the final film of a very famous director. I only made seven feature films and, while my last film was a turkey, we will never know where my career might had gone because I was killed in a car accident at the age of 43.

Who am I?

Well, no takers yet. So, here are a couple more clues.

In my first feature film, the character had a nickname that was related to the particular type of dancing he did. There was a later remake of this film in which the name of the main character was retained, but he was transformed into a trumpet player. Very little of the original story was retained in this remake.

My first film, a short, was alongside a diminutive First Lady. Also in the film was an actor who would rise to prominence a couple of years after my death.

I believe you are talking about:

Hal Skelly died at age 43 in a car-train crash (the trains always win those). Before that, he appeared on Broadway in the stage show "Burlesque," and also in its filmic remake, retitled "The Dance of Life." (1929).

How I wish we could find those missing color sequences! They could look fabulous here. As it is, all I have is a b&w VHS print which is badly out of sync. Any help on the horizon?

It's Hal Skelly, right?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Hal Skelly is correct. "The Dance of Life" is one of my favorite films. It still gets me every time I watch Skelly sing "True Blue Lou".

Whether or not anything will ever be done with this important film is another question. The rights to it are owned by Universal anf, from the looks of all the prints I have seen, it needs some loving care. Hopefully, what Universal has is better.

As far as the out-of-sync VHS goes, PM me.

Dan

My turn now?

Okay, you should have no trouble answering this one.

I came to the U.S.A. back in 1923, appeared in hundreds of movies, tv, stage productions, etc., rarely in a prominent billing, yet became extremely popular and even organized a theatrical group in Hollywood.

My roles ran the gamut. I was in crime shows, comedies, serious dramas -- everything, it seems, but a musical. I logged over 400 movie appearances, not to mention more than 700 TV stints and 1000-plus radio programs.

In one of my final films, I played against type as a drunken bum in a VERY serious drama -- fully 64 years after coming to the U.S.A.

Who am I?

Dan N.

"Are you Fritz Feld?"

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhhhh!

How the hell did you get that one so fast? You know, there ought to be some rules, e.g., ettiquette of the game... where you don't get to make a fool of the questioner quite so quickly.

Fritz Feld it is, Judith.

Just remember: Next time I'm up, we're playing hardball!

Your turn.

Dan N.

Hey, we're supposed to be movie fans, remember? You asked one I knew, is all. There have been quite a few this week I didn't know at all (and some I still don't know even though the answers were given.) Here's my latest:

Do you know me?

I was known by a nickname which referred to my appearance. I was a performer of many gifts and I always loved just clowning around. I was a musician, songwriter, circus, vaudeville and radio performer, and a cartoonist. I loved cartooning so much that I started my own animation studio. This led me to associations with some of America?s great animators, where my contributions were as much audible as visible. My performances are enjoyed as much by the present generation as they were by several previous generations. I made a very popular children?s record which spawned an early TV show, and a lucrative and still-existing entertainment franchise.

Who am I?

Garwsh!!!, as Goofy would say, I wish I were such a polymath, but nevertheless, you are right!

To explicate -- Vance Colvig was called "Pinto" because of his myriad freckles. He was a circus clown, did several vaudeville acts and majored in music at Oregon State. He was a newspaper cartoonist and even did a vaudeville act wherein he illustrated his jokes with cartoons drawn on a chalkboard. He worked as an animator and animation producer, in addition to providing voices for Goofy, Pluto and many other characters at Disney and at other studios (not just voices, but vocal sound effects). He was one of the writers of the song "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf," and voiced one of the pigs in Disney's version of that story (the sensible pig, I think). In the late 40s he made a record to accompany a children's book called "Bozo the Clown" that was such a big hit, a TV show was spawned with Colvig as the first of several television Bozos. A lung cancer sufferer, he was one of the early advocates of the warning label on cigarette packaging. Some people have so much energy!

Message was edited by:

jdb1

Well, the truth is you made that one too easy by putting together two words that could be searched together in imdb bios. I simply searched on "animation studio" and Pinto Colvig jumped right out at me. Had you said something like "animation organization", Pinto wouldn't have shown up. :-)

Okay, if no one else has one, I can do another. :-)

I was part of a multi-generation family of actors and I was quite successful and popular in my early years, even though I did not always play likable characters. When I was a very young man, I started out in the candy business. I also had a very good singing voice.

Who am I?

Okay. Here is a blatant clue. Or is no one reading this thread any more? :-)

My son was a "Jr.", but in reality my father's name was the same as mine. So, I was really the "Jr." and he was the "III". My son was also a well-known actor. However, he played mostly congenial roles. One of his best known was as the father of the star in a popular television series about a private investigator.

> You are:

>

> Noah Beery.

>

> Dan N.

Yes. Noah Beery it is. It's too bad he did not have more succfess in talking pictures than he did. He had such a beautiful voice. Of course in his later years, he was too ill to do much. And while he and Wally were not particularly close, he died in his brothers arms the night he was to appear on Wally's radio show.

Okay, here's a new one for you.

An Air Force veteran, I acted on stage before I began in films. On stage, one of my best roles was in a production of "Hello Dolly."

I share a significant statistic with singer/actress Alanis Morissette and the late comedic actor George Burns. If you know what honor they share, you pretty much know who I am.

Who am I?

Dan N.