Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I made movies for almost 60 years. Although I was one of several gals know as "Queen of the 'B's," I also made some 'A' pictures. I also a hit on radio and TV. I could do drama or be a wise-cracker.

Although my last name may remind you of Dixieland, the last name I was born with would remind you of a body of water.

{font:Times New Roman}"I was born in New York City in 1907 and loved music. I was a concert violinist at 12. I ran away from home in my teens to be a jockey. But when it was determined I was too big for it, I turned to boxing. When the announcer couldn’t say my name correctly, he said something that sounded like it, and I took that for my future moniker. Damage to my right eye forced my retirement to the sport and I found work conducting an 15-piece orchestra. Sometime after, I went the YMCA to apply for a laborer’s job, but got there when they were auditioning for acting, and I was asked to audition as well. I made five films for Hollywood. During my last I suffered my first heart attack. I spoke out on matters that weren’t being addressed, and I was instrumental in selling war bonds and earned awards from the U.S. recruiting office and the Treasury Dept. for it. I was asked to name names to the HUAC, but I refused. I was called to testify, but I suffered a fatal heart attack at the age of 45. But I have not been forgotten. My name was mentioned at last night’s Golden Globes awards by my costar of my last film. Do you know me?"{font}

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jan 16, 2012 4:22 PM

• 3 weeks later...

I've got one:

{font:Times New Roman}

"I was born in the Bronx in 1935 and was gifted with a beautiful voice, singing at the age of 6 with my church choir. I considered opera for a career, after having voice and piano lessons and earning a scholarship from the Metropolitan Opera, but in my teenage years, I went into modeling. Going for a singing career, I changed my name around and auditioned for an Arthur Godfrey contest and won. I sang on his weekly radio show and started appearing in nightclubs and subsequently the Latin Quarter. Doors were opened for me and I was offered a role in an Arlen/Capote musical on Broadway, where I introduced two songs, that would become standards. I was seen in Broadway shows, winning a Tony in 1962, and a few movies here and there in the 1960s, working with Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, and Jane Fonda, and was seen on musical variety shows, but I felt I could push myself in other ways. Despite my glamorous image, I entered the television game, as a hard-working average girl, being nominated for an Emmy. The show has its unique place in tv history, despite the fact it only ran for two seasons. That was more my choice. I was nominated for Best Actress in the 1970s as another hard-working woman trying to find herself, and I am still working in the television spotlight today, appearing in top television shows of the 1980s, 1990s, and on current tv shows. Do you know me?"{font}

Thanks. She's a beautiful, talented woman.

He began his career on Broadway, he was only 7 years old. Bright, adorable boy. He had a major role in a very important film in the '50's and was Oscar nominated. He showed much promise, and received much praise from his co-stars. He appeared on the cover of Life Magazine when he was 12.His life was tragically cut short in a car accident. Who was this talented, much missed young actor?

Brandon De Wilde is correct. Wonderful performance as the son in one my favorite films *Shane* . He also played the brother in *All Fall Down* and *Hud* . He was only 30 years old when he died in a car accident. He was on his way to the hospital to see his wife who had undergone surgery. Tragic end to a sweet, talented young man. Your thread stick.

• 4 weeks later...

{font:Times New Roman}"My unusual first name came from Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra. My father liked it for the name of his baby girl. He was a musician, and my mother had a vaudeville act in her youth with her brother. We would move from Chicago to California ,where my father left us. And, I didn’t see him that much after that. I worked as an doctor’s assistant, with a dream of going to Europe. Through a contact of my mother, I was asked to audition for a movie. I only acted in this one, but it changed my life completely. And, I am still recognized today. The cast is my second family. Do you know me?"

{font}

Edited by: allaboutlana on Mar 6, 2012 9:28 AM

Charmian Carr- Had to go to Wikipedia for this one, but to my credit as soon as I saw Charmian in the cast of players for A&C I knew who we were talking about. My turn? 1st time playing this.

"My biggest film role was in a Frank Capra pic from the thirties. However I achieved my greatest success on TV winning 3 Emmys playing the All American mom in a sitcom from the fifties."